Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

32 posts, read 122,544 times

Advertisements

I have absolutely no idea where to put this, but I have no idea what I want to be!

I'd love to be a Psychiatrist or a Pharmacist but my foundation in Math is poor and I don't want to go into massive debt to fail. My interests are Natural and Physical Sciences, Arts (Graphic Designing), Anything animal related, and international affairs/languages.

I'm sending out applications as Biology major because I know I'm interested in that, but I have no idea what I want to be at all. Does anyone know any good career websites? I change all the time. I'm just looking for a fair-paying, stable job.

I don't want to go through all that schooling and debt for a job that won't pay well (like apparently Graphic designers) so I'm in a rut.

Any advice would be loved.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 05:32 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,883,680 times
You don't have to know exactly what you wanna do the moment you fill out a college application. Just take a wide variety of courses to start and that will give you better insight. Just relax and don't keep thinking about all this crap.

Trust me, been there, done that.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,402,525 times
If you want a stable decent paying job, you might want to consider rethinking biology as a major unless you also plan to go on to graduate school (and even then, it's taking a chance). Plus, you will have to have a decent math background to get through some of the required coursework (chemistry, physics, ecology).
Most universities have a career services department to help students with choosing a career (and appropriate major for that career)... So my suggestion would be to start of with an undeclared major and seeing what catches your interest as you go through the general coursework.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,499,692 times
Just graduate with a decent degree and have an internship. Something will come up. Grow up, we don't all do what we like for jobs. This is not Utopia. My son is an Undertaker. No, he does not like dead bodies. This was a good job, with high demand. He took the classes and runs a large funeral home. My other son does mapping for oil fields. He likes hiking and drawing, this is what he does now.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:07 PM

32 posts, read 122,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Just graduate with a decent degree and have an internship. Something will come up. Grow up, we don't all do what we like for jobs. This is not Utopia. My son is an Undertaker. No, he does not like dead bodies. This was a good job, with high demand. He took the classes and runs a large funeral home. My other son does mapping for oil fields. He likes hiking and drawing, this is what he does now.
With many jobs out there and the oppertunities given to me, I would much rather be a Chinese (Mandarin) teacher than work with dead bodies. What I'm saying is, Utopia sure doesn't exist but I'd much rather like something from my job rather than being skeevish or dreadful of it because of the oppertunities open to me. But if I had to do it, I'd do it. Whatever the hell puts a roof over my head. More power to your son then, I couldn't do what he does.

Also, thanks everyone for replying! I'll just wait till I get into college then. I'm one of those people who are just always anxious.

I'll also go in as an undeclared major. Thank god the first two years is liberal arts and I don't have to declare a major till end of sophomore year.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,868,253 times
If you're unsure of what exact path you want to take, you may also want to look into undergrad programs that offer co-op. I went to Drexel U where co-op is mandatory for most degrees. It's usually a 5yr program and you'll go on 3 co-ops. Frosh: classes 3 terms; Soph: classes 2 terms, co-op 2 terms; Pre-Jun: classes 2 terms, co-op 2 terms; Jun: classes 2 terms, co-op 2 terms; Senior: classes 3 terms. All 3 of my co-ops were in my field of study and I was able to get a better idea of what I wanted to do after graduation because I was able to apply what I learned in class/lab to the 'real world'. It also looks good to prospective employers post-graduation since you already have experience under your belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities