Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM

49 posts, read 235,746 times

Advertisements

I have completed my Associate degree at a community college, but now attend a pubic 4 yr college as a non degree student to see if I like it.

Sadly I found out there are more general education courses that are not art related....and I was told my portfolio does not contain 15 pieces from each art course and they run 4 credit/unit not 3 like my previous college did, so it might not match up to their standards and might need to be taken again.

Because of this I'm a bit bitter, and tired. I already spent 3 years getting one degree, and now need to get. Another one done plus retake courses?

So I looked at another option, a college called Platt, it is more direct and from the reviews I read online the students seem to like it.

This leads to my question....what is the difference between a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree in Graphic Design?

Why is Science involved in the degree? Any answers are useful....thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:25 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I imagine the "S" part comes in because of the various computer courses that are required for graphics work.

Fine arts and graphic arts may cross paths, but they are not the same thing. What do you want to do?

I would be wary of any for-profit college. A degree from there does not appear to be an accredited degree. If they are acrredited, I can't find the information.

It sounds like you didn't do any research on transitioning a CC degree to a university degree. None of the issues you mention should be a surprise.

My ex-wife was an art major at a university and she never had to have 15 pieces of work from each class for her portfolio. Are you sure that is correct?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:47 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
No difference.

Especially for graphic design.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM

118 posts, read 299,038 times
Platt College is a private college. It is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology. It offers an Associates or Bachelor of Science in Media Arts.

Hopefully that is helpful, or anyone else can comment on that if they know more about how accreditations work for employers/and or transfering credits to other schools. I know ITT Tech credits do not transfer.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post

My ex-wife was an art major at a university and she never had to have 15 pieces of work from each class for her portfolio. Are you sure that is correct?
My son has a BFA in Media Arts with a concentration in Graphic Design. He also did not need 15 pieces/class for his portfolio.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,883 times
BS of Graphic Design require you to take more computer classes, but alot of the classes should be the same as Fine Art.
Many Graphic Design people can find job in IT, Video game industry since they can do digital art 3-D, and ect. Alot of those people don't use on paper anymore.

please look at this for more info. Of course, not all the college will have the same curriculum.

Graphic Design: Curriculum : CAL U - California University of Pennsylvania

Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM

318 posts, read 506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
BS of Graphic Design require you to take more computer classes, but alot of the classes should be the same as Fine Art.
Many Graphic Design people can find job in IT, Video game industry since they can do digital art 3-D, and ect. Alot of those people don't use on paper anymore.

please look at this for more info. Of course, not all the college will have the same curriculum.

I wont say you are wrong, because that may be true in your experience, but what i will say is: this is not universally the truth. i work at a college that does offer a BS in GR and you will find that it is more computer classes, but they are not the same as fine art. and no, you will not work in IT (with our degree at least) but you will learn different aspects of design as it relates to advertising/marketing, labels and packaging, fashion, and more.

my biggest suggestion would be to look at the actual curriculum of the schools you are comparing. i find way too many students are seeing a curriculum for the first time when they meet with me, i encourage to always ask to see it.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 52,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post

A good Graphic Design program will make you take traditional art courses first (drawing/design/etc) before you get into the computer based courses (where you learn the meat and potatoes of the Adobe Suite as well as more design theory). I would suggest to anyone looking to get into graphic design to really pay attention in the traditional art courses to even try to take more then your degree requires. Graphic designers that have a firm grasp on the basics produce much better work then the students who thought that dressing weird, a macintosh, and "making what ever they like!" was all you needed to be an artist.

Minoring in something like communications or marketing will also add to your skill set in a positive way once you're in the job market. Just sayin'.

I can't speak for all graphic design programs but the one I went through did not teach "3-D" as you put it. There was a separate track for those who were interested in moving into a digital media type course where you would learn modeling/rigging/etc on programs like Maya and 3DS Max. But it wasn't considered part of the graphic design track. Pick one! (Though, know that you can work as a graphic designer in the video game industry - they need us too! I believe you can also put a lot of the knowledge you'd learn as a graphic designer toward becoming an UI Artist, which is what I'm currently looking into).

Spotlesseden - Not sure where "IT" comes in or why a graphic designer would be able to do it? Lol. I kind of got the impression that you were just throwing out technical jobs there toward the end. Reminds me of how my father-in-law used to tell his friends that my husband "did computers" for a job (he's a 3D artist at a game company) because he didn't fully get what he did.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:57 AM

163 posts, read 249,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatanabe View Post
I have completed my Associate degree at a community college, but now attend a pubic 4 yr college as a non degree student to see if I like it.

Sadly I found out there are more general education courses that are not art related....and I was told my portfolio does not contain 15 pieces from each art course and they run 4 credit/unit not 3 like my previous college did, so it might not match up to their standards and might need to be taken again.

Because of this I'm a bit bitter, and tired. I already spent 3 years getting one degree, and now need to get. Another one done plus retake courses?

So I looked at another option, a college called Platt, it is more direct and from the reviews I read online the students seem to like it.

This leads to my question....what is the difference between a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or Bachelor of Science degree in Graphic Design?

Why is Science involved in the degree? Any answers are useful....thanks in advance.
I think the the BS in GD is probably better but both are a waste of time IMHO. You are much better off visiting local startups and design houses and telling them you are at their disposal. You will receive much better training and probably a job and you can learn the other stuff online or with an Amazon.com account.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities