Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will tuition be the strongest factor for you or your loved ones in selecting university choices?
Yes, tuition is a big concern. 1 14.29%
No, tuition is important, but it is not my number one criteria of college choice. 6 85.71%
No, tuition is not a concern for me. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM

472 posts, read 809,265 times

Advertisements

I came across this little figure this morning. I've been thinking a lot about tuition lately and how it'll affect the next generation.

USNWR did an analysis. At numer one: College of william and Mary spent $27,572 per student in 2011 making it one of the highest ranked 'Most Financial Resources per Student' schools in the nation.

For ranked universities:
1st College of William and Mary $27,572
2nd University of Georgia $27,028
3rd Clemson U $26,293
4th Virginia Tech $26,261
5th Clark University (MA) $25,073
6th Texas Christian University $24,486
7th Indiana University--Bloomington $22,806
8th College of New Jersey $22,625
9th Binghamton University--SUNY (NY) $22,181

Which Highly Ranked Universities Operate Most Efficiently? - Morse Code: Inside the College Rankings (usnews.com)

Great to see tuition dollars put to good use. As tuition goes up, up and away while state funding takes a nosedive, I hope to see the average expenditure per student follow suit.

Smartmoney recently did an analysis on returns for college investment. I was mildly surprised to see public schools topping the list.
http://i.mktw.net/_newsimages/pdf/co...s-20120925.pdf

Kiplinger's 2012 Best Value Colleges:
Best Values in Public Colleges, 2011-12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Your title subject has nothing to do with your poll subject, BTW.
More people may vote if it did.

I almost did not open this as I don't care about W&M's resources.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
William and Mary is great if you live in VA, but I hear it's hard to get aid if you are from out of state.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Your title subject has nothing to do with your poll subject, BTW.
More people may vote if it did.

I almost did not open this as I don't care about W&M's resources.
I figured that those who are concerned with where or how much tuition dollars go would click on it. The poll is just for my information.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:41 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
William and Mary is great if you live in VA, but I hear it's hard to get aid if you are from out of state.
Virginians have it good, the Hokies are #4.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Agree with Pitt Chick about thread title and poll. Besides, the sticker price is not the same as what a smart college shopper will pay.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
When I was selecting colleges, I felt reasonably confident that I could get enough aid/scholarships, especially since I was staying in-state. I applied to a bunch of in-state public universities, and I only applied to private schools that give good aid or (in the case of Greensboro College) where I was in the running for a big scholarship.

The university I attend, Appalachian State, is featured on Kiplinger's list for public colleges at the #33 spot. As far as North Carolina is concerned, that's behind UNC - which I could never get into, UNC-Wilmington - which I would probably hate because I don't want to live anywhere near the beach, and NC State - which doesn't have my major.

So, I'm attending the best in-state value for me. Honestly I never crunched the numbers. Once acceptances and financial aid info came in my hunch about getting good financial aid at most colleges was correct, so I just picked the one I felt would be best for me academically and personally.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
When I was selecting colleges, I felt reasonably confident that I could get enough aid/scholarships, especially since I was staying in-state. I applied to a bunch of in-state public universities, and I only applied to private schools that give good aid or (in the case of Greensboro College) where I was in the running for a big scholarship.

The university I attend, Appalachian State, is featured on Kiplinger's list for public colleges at the #33 spot. As far as North Carolina is concerned, that's behind UNC - which I could never get into, UNC-Wilmington - which I would probably hate because I don't want to live anywhere near the beach, and NC State - which doesn't have my major.

So, I'm attending the best in-state value for me. Honestly I never crunched the numbers. Once acceptances and financial aid info came in my hunch about getting good financial aid at most colleges was correct, so I just picked the one I felt would be best for me academically and personally.
I found it funny that the oldest public universities dominated the list of best value(UNC, UGA and W&M)

Old 12-11-2012, 09:20 PM

589 posts, read 850,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I found it funny that the oldest public universities dominated the list of best value(UNC, UGA and W&M)

That isn't really all that surprising. These all being older, well respected, and well established Universities, they each have a very sizable endowment.

It seems that they have been putting those endowments to good use, in order to attract the students that they want. Congrats to these schools.

As a sidebar, this study is a perfect example of why students shouldn't initially be scared off by the stated cost of a particular University or College. You never know just how much financial aid that you may qualify for, until you try.

Here's another study, with a substantially different list of schools.
College Financial Aid Is Great At These Schools: Princeton Review College Rankings 2012

Not surprising that Princeton leads this list, with an endowment of 17 billion, and a student body of around 7800. Assuming a yearly distribution of 5% of the total endowment, Princeton has the ability to spend roughly $109,000 per year, per student. That's enough to insure that Princeton will never lose any student that it really wants, due to financial considerations.

My take on this is that in general, Colleges or Universities that are older, well respected, and have a relatively small student body, (Ivy league schools) will all likely have a healthy sized endowment, and should all be able to provide very liberal financial aid packages, to the students that they really want.

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-11-2012 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
That isn't really all that surprising. These all being older, well respected, and well established Universities, they each have a very sizable endowment.

It seems that they have been putting those endowments to good use, in order to attract the students that they want. Congrats to these schools.

As a sidebar, this study is a perfect example of why students shouldn't initially be scared off by the stated cost of a particular University or College. You never know just how much financial aid that you may qualify for, until you try.

Here's another study, with a substantially different list of schools.
College Financial Aid Is Great At These Schools: Princeton Review College Rankings 2012

My take on this is that in general, Colleges or Universities that are older, well respected, and have a relatively small student body, (Ivy league schools) should all be able to provide very liberal financial aid packages, to the right students.
Princeton Review? I might as well conduct a study by dipping my cat's paws in a tub of paint throw her up in the air and see where she lands! (I'm referring to Princeton Review's bunk college party rankings of course. No offense intended)

But I agree. I hope 2013 is a good year for higher ed fiscally. Our universities have suffered so much over the past two decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities