Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,519 times

Advertisements

manual work?
that's a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
plz pour out your haterade. i have the place already. unconditional. my grade sheets have always been awesome. my motivation is shot, not my ability.
I don't hate you. I don't mind if you sit on this forum making eyes forevermore.

I just don't want you taking the place of another qualified individual that knows what they want to do without their psychiatrist having to give them direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Go to work for the gubment or a thinktank....
You ignored the practical advice though.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:22 PM

i earned my place in open competition. if some guy isnt good enough, you cant blame me.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
i earned my place in open competition. if some guy isnt good enough, you cant blame me.
I'm sure you tell the people interviewing that you aren't certain that you really want to be there. I'm sure that would be disqualifying, admitting that you are a dilettante and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Go to work for the gubment or a thinktank....
Still no comment on the practical advice...

What do you want to do with an MA in Intelligence? Go to work for the government, think tank or NGO? Independent contract? Don't you do gigs now independently?

Last edited by Senno; 12-21-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 PM

I am a freelance writer. As it is, right now, I am thinking of deferring my entry for a year or so. Some time to gather my thoughts - to see what I want to do. The alternate option is to do a 2nd masters in some chill subject like Film Studies or something.

I dont know man. I never had much career advice growing up. I just follow my whims - but that gets stale after awhile.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Only heard one other person ever say that. It was a tenured professor, older guy, at a top university. He described it as "fun." I think this experience is probably as rare as tenure track jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
That doesn't make you a professor. Professors are mainly researchers and published authors. Teaching is the smallest part of it for most, and it isn't what actually gets you the job. You have to present and publish many academic papers throughout your grad school years and maybe for an entire year after and have several publications in well known journals before you are a competitive candidate for even the lowest position. Then once you get the job you must continue publishing and presenting and be very successful at it before they will let you keep the job (give you tenure). Being a good teacher only makes you qualified to be an adjunct - low pay, part time, no benefits. I should know, cause I am one.
I absolutely loved grad school (top 3 Ph.D. program so very heavy-duty but it was all reading, writing, and teaching -- I loved all of 'em). And if you get a job at a teaching-oriented place afterward, publication will be expected along the way but NOT a top priority -- teaching is. I know, because that's the kind of place I wanted to get a job at, and that's the place I now have tenure at. Not all Ph.D.s want or get jobs at other Ph.D.-granting institutions (where it is true that teaching matters very little).

I came from a working-class family and I suspect THAT is why I enjoyed grad school so much. I never had the sense of entitlement that the vast majority of my classmates had (most of whom were the sons and daughters of doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.), so I didn't expect to have my hand held. A Ph.D. requires a LOT of solitary work, so you really do have to thrive on that.

Mintgum84, it's hard not to be hard on you with what you've written, because you sound like a total a**hole and an incredibly lazy one at that (can you say "parasite"?). Why not get a real job paying minimum wage so you can see how the other half lives? Then you can go home crying to your allegedly rich parents.

To everyone else, the OP sounds like the t-word to me and I'm not sure I believe anything he has written.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
So, what exactly is the point of this thread?

To whine about your cushy life and ignore the practical advice others are giving?

If you're not motivated to do a PhD, don't do it. Period. Very simple. Go get a job instead. It's not like you're actually going to make it through anyway if you really aren't interested or motivated.

Quote:
i have the place already. unconditional.
And if you don't take it, someone else who didn't quite make it in will get offered that slot.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I am a freelance writer. As it is, right now, I am thinking of deferring my entry for a year or so. Some time to gather my thoughts - to see what I want to do. The alternate option is to do a 2nd masters in some chill subject like Film Studies or something.

I dont know man. I never had much career advice growing up. I just follow my whims - but that gets stale after awhile.
Siskel and Ebert watch out.

I suggest you stay freelance or start your own business whatever you do. I'm not sure you want to be anyone's employee.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I absolutely loved grad school (top 3 Ph.D. program so very heavy-duty but it was all reading, writing, and teaching -- I loved all of 'em). And if you get a job at a teaching-oriented place afterward, publication will be expected along the way but NOT a top priority -- teaching is. I know, because that's the kind of place I wanted to get a job at, and that's the place I now have tenure at. Not all Ph.D.s want or get jobs at other Ph.D.-granting institutions (where it is true that teaching matters very little).

I came from a working-class family and I suspect THAT is why I enjoyed grad school so much. I never had the sense of entitlement that the vast majority of my classmates had (most of whom were the sons and daughters of doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.), so I didn't expect to have my hand held. A Ph.D. requires a LOT of solitary work, so you really do have to thrive on that.

Mintgum84, it's hard not to be hard on you with what you've written, because you sound like a total a**hole and an incredibly lazy one at that (can you say "parasite"?). Why not get a real job paying minimum wage so you can see how the other half lives? Then you can go home crying to your allegedly rich parents.

To everyone else, the OP sounds like the t-word to me and I'm not sure I believe anything he has written.
Just some thoughts here: because you are from a working class family, your parents probably don't dictate what you do after you go to college, and you don't feel peer pressure from your cousins and in-laws... so somehow you can follow your free will, because nobody bothers you.

When I was in graduate school, a student from Japan went back home because his father (a tycoon of a company) did not want him to "waste time" any more. At the same time, I was the poorest among the cousins around my age too. When I drove a $1k crappy car, my cousin (3 years older) picked me up with a Mercedes-Benz to show me her new house. Another cousin (one year older) asked me to stay in his house (with his wife and two sons) in Bay area for Christmas. I constantly felt I was a loser and a shame of my parents, for real.
I mean, really rich people probably don't care about money at all, but "middle class" do.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:32 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Have you ever considered that some people don't need a "career," i.e., a social identity?

One's life focus may be on personal relationships, or on service, or on one's family (of origin or created), or on creative pursuits.

One needs a source of income of course, but may get an identity through other means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities