Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,250 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I am a 50 year old man. I have been a lot of places and I have probably done more in my life than most (not boasting, just trying to script the path leading to this post), from a tank commander in Desert Storm to 16 years in the architectural industry to now owning and operating a successful Italian Restaurant. So now I want to go to college... Strike that... I would like to get a Ph.D. in Astrophysics. Where do I start? I think some math refresher courses are more than likely the best beginning but which classes should I take? Time, obviously is a commodity I don't have. What is a good online university? [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,992,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darping View Post
I am a 50 year old man. I have been a lot of places and I have probably done more in my life than most (not boasting, just trying to script the path leading to this post), from a tank commander in Desert Storm to 16 years in the architectural industry to now owning and operating a successful Italian Restaurant. So now I want to go to college... Strike that... I would like to get a Ph.D. in Astrophysics. Where do I start? I think some math refresher courses are more than likely the best beginning but which classes should I take? Time, obviously is a commodity I don't have. What is a good online university?

Bachelors degree, Masters, then PhD

You're looking at about 10 years if you don't do math refresher courses. You can't even start Physics I until you're enrolled in Calc II.

This sequence is recommended for those intending to enter a graduate school in Physics. It consists of a minimum of 34 credits in Physics at or above the 200 level, including four credits of laboratory and the courses PHY 205, 206, 207 (or 205, 210); 360, 362; 340, 321; 350, 351; 540, 560. . The physics minor consists of University Physics, two credits of laboratory work, PHY 360,. another 3-credit physics lecture course (other than PHY 315) at the 300-level or above

PSC 101. Physical Science 3 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
An interdisciplinary course to provide the non-science major with an understanding of some of the methods, ideas and accomplishments of Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Physics, and Space Science, and their role in the development of civilization.
Prerequisite: Not for major or minor
PHY 101. College Physics I 4 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Elementary mechanics, thermal phenomena, fluids, waves. Courses PHY 101-102-106-108 provide a ten credit `physics with lab' sequence for premedical students and others.
Prerequisite: Mth 108 or 105
PHY 102. College Physics II 4 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics.
Prerequisite: Phy 101
PHY 103. General Physics 3 cr. (Spring)
Mechanics, waves, electromagnetism.
Prerequisite: Architecture major
PHY 106. College Physics Laboratory I 1 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Laboratory course to accompany Phy 101.
Prerequisite or corequisite: Phy 101
PHY 108. College Physics Laboratory II 1 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Laboratory course to accompany Phy 102.
Prerequisite or corequisite: Phy 102
PHY 110. Descriptive Astronomy 3 cr. (Fall, Spring)
For students not majoring in Mathematics or a Physical Science. brief non-technical treatment of the universe and its contents. Mathematical requirements are minimal with emphasis on our present knowledge about energy and matter in space.
Prerequisite: Not for major or minor
PHY 160. Physics of the Arts. 3 cr. (Spring)
Newtonian mechanics, energy, wave motion, atoms, and electricity. Applications to music, art and communications.
PHY 205. University Physics I 3 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Mechanics through gravity and harmonic motion, intended for science and engineering students.
Corequisite: Mth 151 with a B in Mth 105 or 108 or placement into calculus by Mth placement exam. Otherwise, prerequisite: Mth 151,161,or 171
PHY 206. University Physics II 3 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Fluids, waves, optics, thermal phenomena . . .
Prerequisite: Phy 205. Prerequisite or corequisite: Mth 162 or 172
PHY 207. University Physics III 3 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Electromagnetism through Maxwell's equations.
Prerequisite: Phy 205 AND Mth 162 or 172
PHY 208. University Physics II Lab 1 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Laboratory to accompany Phy 206.
Prerequisite or corequisite: Phy 206
PHY 209. University Physics III Lab 1 cr. (Fall, Spring, Summer)
Lab to accompany Phy 207.
Prerequisite or corequisite: Phy 207
PHY 210. Honors University Physics II-III 5-6 cr. (Fall, Spring)
Fluids, waves, optics, thermal phenomena, electromagnetism. Combines Phy 206 and 207.
Prerequisite: Phy 205, Mth 162 or 172, AND written permission
PHY 315. Mathematical Tools for Physics 3 cr.
How to use mathematics in physics. Series, complex algebra, vector calculus, differential equations, etc.
Prerequisite: Phy 207, Mth 211 or 310; pre-or corequisite Mth 311
PHY 316. Physics of the Solar System 3 cr.
A mathematical treatment of the structure and composition of the solar system. The physical nature of the sun, planets, satellites, comets, and meteors. Occasional observation sessions will be scheduled.
Prerequisite: Phy 206, 207
PHY 317. Physics of Stellar Systems 3 cr.
Normal and peculiar stars: their structure and evolution. Galactic structure and some cosmology. Occasional observation sessions will be scheduled.
Prerequisite: Phy 206, 207
PHY 321. Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory 3 cr. (Spring)
An intermediate course in thermal phenomena, from both macroscopic and microscopic points of view.
Prerequisite: Phy 206 and Mth 310 or 312
PHY 340. Classical Mechanics I 3 cr. (Fall)
Includes harmonic motion, orbit theory, coupled oscillations, rigid body motions.
Prerequisite: Phy 206, 207. Pre- or corequisite: Mth 210 and 311
PHY 350. Intermediate Electricity and Magnetism I 3 cr. (Fall)
Includes the integral and differential forms of Maxwell's equations, circuit theory, and boundary value problems.
Prerequisite: Phy 206, 207, Mth 211 or 310. Pre- or corequisite: Mth 311
PHY 351. Intermediate Electricity and Magnetism II 3 cr. (Spring)
A continuation of Phy 350. Includes further application of Maxwell's equations with emphasis on radiation theory.
Prerequisite: Phy 350
PHY 360. Introduction to Modern Physics 3 cr. (Fall)
Emphasis on the experimental foundations of modern physics. Relativity, quantization, atomic structure, radiation, nuclei.
Prerequisite: Phy 206. Pre- or corequisite: Phy 207
PHY 362. Modern Physics Honors Seminar 1 cr. (Fall, Spring)
Special topics to accompany Phy 360.
Prerequisite: Concurrent registration in Phy 360
PHY 401, 402. Senior Thesis 3 cr. each
Prerequisite: Phy 340, 350, 360
PHY 500. Research 1-3 cr.
Project course introducing methods of research, individual investigation of current problems.
PHY 505, 506. Advanced Laboratory 1-2 cr. each (Fall, Spring)
Advanced experiments such as properties of the electron, optical spectra, electrical measurements, radioactive decay, absorption, etc.
Prerequisite: Phy 208. Pre- or corequisite: Phy 360
PHY 515. Mathematical Techniques in Physics 3 cr. (Spring)
Complex variables and applications. Infinite series and their uses, particularly in differential equations. Multiple integrals and Fourier series.
Prerequisite: Phy 340, 350; Mth 311
PHY 516-518. Readings in Physics 1-3 cr. each
Prerequisite: Permission of department
PHY 520. Solid State Physics 3 cr.
Crystal structure, quantum theory of the electronic structure of solids, mechanical, electric, magnetic and optical properties of solids.
Prerequisite: Phy 560
PHY 530. Plasma Physics I 3 cr.
Kinetic theory of plasmas, adiabatic motion of charged particles, magnetofluid dynamics, transport properties of plasmas in electromagnetic fields.
Prerequisite: Phy 340, 351, 360
PHY 540. Classical Mechanics II 3 cr. (Fall)
Lagrangian formulation, rigid body dynamics. Topics selected from fluid dynamics, non-linear oscillations, normal modes, phase plane analysis.
Prerequisite: Phy 340
PHY 552. Optical Physics 3 cr.
Geometric optics, interference and diffraction, polarized light, optical pumping, coherence phenomena, applications to modern physical research.
Prerequisite: Phy 351, 360
PHY 560. Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics I 3 cr. (Fall)
Introductory theory with applications to simple systems. Perturbation theory and atomic structure.
Pre- or Corequisite: 350
PHY 561. Quantum Mechanics and Modern Physics II 3 cr. (Spring)
Applications of quantum mechanics to atomic and molecular spectroscopy, quantum statistical mechanics, and nuclear physics.
Prerequisite: Phy 560
PHY 564. Nuclear Physics 3 cr.
Theoretical and experimental phenomena related to atomic nuclei. General description of nuclear forces, simple scattering, nuclear energy levels. Qualitative description of various nuclear models.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 AM

12,112 posts, read 23,368,149 times
NO credible university has an on-line PhD in any kind of physics. The best you can hope for is a hybrid program (such as Michigan State Univ.) that combines on-line study with periods of residency.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 12-14-2012 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM

3,613 posts, read 7,956,515 times
Ditto about the on-line stuff. The Ph.D. is a research degree that is essentially an apprenticeship under a master. Sure, there is coursework but it's not really the important thing.

No advisor will take on an "apprentice" without a strong undergraduate BS degree, with something like the list of courses burgler gave. (With the exception of the first one; any physics course for non-majors is not what you need).

The good news is that you can be paid a subsistence wage to be an apprentice.

And, umm, don't even think that you can do this part-time.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,415,223 times
It is great to go back to school, but getting an astrophysics Ph.D. is probably impossible, particularly on line. There is a fair amount of lab work involved and once you get over 30 at a certain point it is questionable how much you will be able to keep up with the math unless you are totally emerced and remain so. From what I have heard from people I know who have done astrophysics once you get to the masters level it becomes a very major commitment if you are doing it seriously.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,786,786 times
Math and physics are not like literature classes which you can take any time.
If you haven't been doing math for decades, it requires a lot of efforts just to pass the basics.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,147,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Math and physics are not like literature classes which you can take any time.
If you haven't been doing math for decades, it requires a lot of efforts just to pass the basics.
Completely disagree.

Take someone hard working and intelligent who majored in Philosophy in undergrad and has been out of school for 20 years, and put them in freshman Calc, Physics, and Statics and not only would they do well, my guess is they'd wipe the floor with the younger kids.

It's ALL about work ethic.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,786,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Completely disagree.

Take someone hard working and intelligent who majored in Philosophy in undergrad and has been out of school for 20 years, and put them in freshman Calc, Physics, and Statics and not only would they do well, my guess is they'd wipe the floor with the younger kids.

Calculus is just the beginning. It is taught in the first college year for a reason.
Math demands comprehension and memorization. At least the latter is much weaker for older people.
I can't even remember the integral equations for many functions. It is not really important. But they will be tested in class.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM

846 posts, read 1,405,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Completely disagree.

I think it depends on learning abilities/style. I cannot comprehend math to save my life. I was out of school for ~15 years and had to have tutoring 2-3x a week to keep up with the basic classes (as in, not calculus).

What I learned 15 years ago they are learning in late elementary school now.

A blanket statement is just not appropriate.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,147,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I think it depends on learning abilities/style. I cannot comprehend math to save my life. I was out of school for ~15 years and had to have tutoring 2-3x a week to keep up with the basic classes (as in, not calculus).

What I learned 15 years ago they are learning in late elementary school now.

A blanket statement is just not appropriate.
Well ... no statement covers EVERYBODY'S experience. But in general, most intelligent people can succeed at both math and science and humanities. Consider the top students in my high school. Almost all of them were good at both math and science and humanities. They each had strengths but nobody was getting Cs in any subject.

I also truly believe that the reason people say they are bad at math and science and drop out of engineering and science is because they don't realize how much work it is. I have degrees in engineering and social science and the engineering degree was WAY more work. Math and science is all about putting in many, many hours to grasp it. I never got lower than a B in a humanities undergrad class and for some of them, I barely put in much work.

Again, not saying this is your experience or that you're unintelligent, maybe you have dyscalculia or something but I believe most intelligent (or even not that intelligent) people with only a rudimentary math background could ace Calc I at a flagship university if they were willing to put in the hours...

Last edited by jobaba; 12-14-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities