Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I am in the 11th grade with a GPA of 2.6, the local college I want to attend only accepts GPA's of 2.9 and higher (Old Dominion University). In the worst case scenario if I never pull my GPA up or the collage declines me, is there a way to go to community collage and transfer into a university?

The major I am looking forward to is Computer Systems Analyst, do any community collages offer them? The problem is I do not no whether I want to go into Information Systems & Technology (BSBA) or Computer Science (BSCS)? What is the difference
Here are the links.

Both contain the same career Systems Analyst.

Information Systems & Technology - Old Dominion University

Computer Science - Old Dominion University

Hope you guys can help out.

Virginia has a 2+2 program that will allow you to transfer to ODU from a Virginia community college. The catch is that you must graduate CC with a 2.5 GPA and no lower than a C in each class. Grades matter. Honestly, if you can't graduate from community college with a 2.5 GPA you don't belong at a 4 year university.

+ODU Partnerships - Old Dominion University
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
I would also suggest that you honestly and frankly look at why you ended up with those grades. If you took AP classes at a high school with high standards that is one thing. You may be looking at getting the same kind of grades at a university, which believe it or not, is okay. If you blew everything off and now realize the error of your ways that is a different issue and fixable. If you took average classes and gave a good effort, that is a different ball game. Going to community college for the first years isn't just a cheaper option, it might be the appropriate option. If you struggle at the community college then you need to think long and hard about going to a university. I think it is an option more people should exercise.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I would also suggest that you honestly and frankly look at why you ended up with those grades. If you took AP classes at a high school with high standards that is one thing. You may be looking at getting the same kind of grades at a university, which believe it or not, is okay. If you blew everything off and now realize the error of your ways that is a different issue and fixable. If you took average classes and gave a good effort, that is a different ball game. Going to community college for the first years isn't just a cheaper option, it might be the appropriate option. If you struggle at the community college then you need to think long and hard about going to a university. I think it is an option more people should exercise.
I realized my shortcomings, but I have also think I can somewhat turn myself around also.
So far I am studying my tail off in Honors Anatomy, I would like at least a B, and I am also shooting for an A in regular English. I am also trying to get at least a B in Honors U.S. History.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-14-2013 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: corrected typo

Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
I realized my shortcomings, but I have also think I can somewhat turn myself around also.
So far I am studying my tail off in Honors Anatomy, I would like at least a B, and I am also shooting for an A in regular English. I am also trying to get at least a B in Honors U.S. History.
One thing you need to figure out is HOW you are going to turn around your performance. What steps are you going to take to make it happen. Simply wanting it to happen is not enough. You need to be able to identify what went wrong and what you can do to make it better.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:43 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
One thing you need to figure out is HOW you are going to turn around your performance. What steps are you going to take to make it happen. Simply wanting it to happen is not enough. You need to be able to identify what went wrong and what you can do to make it better.
Quote:
Hun, do you have any idea how many students blow off high school and then sometime around mid-Jr year they go ? Join the crowd and you have 1-1/2 semesters to pull this off. So from now on you get serious. No skipping! (unless you plan it ahead of time--) it's when your friends pull you out all the time that you get behind.

*Learn that vocab--use quizlet.com and you can even find premade flashcards so you don't have to sit there and type them all up--sometimes they even match the vocab in your textbook--man you young'ns are spoiled.

*If you don't understand something that went on in class, get on top of it right away--don't wait, esp with stuff like math where you need to understand one thing to advance to the next thing.

*Take really good notes and find a format that works for you--a skill you'll need in college anyway.

*Read up on test taking skills and use them--it will help your ACT or SAT scores too. I have kids complain all the time that they don't know a word and I tell them to glance over the rest of the test and sure enough, there's the answer they were looking for, embedded in another test question.

If you stay consistent with just these things, you can make good grades, but another high level skill that will make you a serious student is to learn your Greek and Latin roots of words--not all of them b/c there's a lot of them, but pay attention when you get your vocab list. Like "geo" means earth so whenever you see that you can be pretty sure that we're talking about the earth. "Phagy" means to eat and you can have a lot of fun with that one. So, geophagy means to eat dirt.

And here's the crazy thing: A's are addictive. Once you have the pride of bringing home a report card full of good grades you will not want to go back. But don't do all this just for the A's--learning is actually fun.

Oh, here's my advice in a nutshell--

1. Be there
2. Learn the words.
3. Get help
4. Take notes
5. Use good test taking skills
6. Do homework

Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,887 times
One thing I've noticed is that you're only doing OK in those AP and honors classes to get "at least a B."

This leads me to believe a couple things: if you're taking AP classes and Honors you should be reaching for A's. If you can't do that then you probably shouldn't be in the courses to begin with.

Not to be mean but, you'd be better off getting an A in the regular classes and getting the 4.0 rather than a 3.0 (if you got C's in a "weighted" AP/Honors class. )

But if you really try hard to get A's in AP/honors and take a slew of them during your Senior year, you should get into Old Dominion no problem.

However CC is a better route anyway. You'd most likely save money, and hopefully spend that time in CC figuring out what you want to major in before you go to OD.

In short for the Information Systems vs the Computer Science major: the IS degree is probably more geared toward business and working on practical skills and Computer Science more toward theory and design. The IS degree will be more practical with some math. The Computer Science major will be more theoretical and lean towards higher level math.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you're good in math the CS major is probably the way to go; as it's all encompassing. I would assume that the CS major could do the IS major's job, however with the IS major you're actually getting stuff like SQL experience that can easily get you a job; its a more direct path and in some cases a bit easier.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Quote:
I am in the 11th grade with a GPA of 2.6, the local college I want to attend only accepts GPA's of 2.9 and higher (Old Dominion University). .
If you look at the Common Data Set for Old Dominion University, you will notice that they have accepted students with gpa's below 2.9.

Common Data Set C -First-Time, First-Year (Freshman) Admission (page 6 of 8)

Percent who had GPA of 3.75 or higher 12 %
Percent who had GPA between 3.50 and 3.74 14 %
Percent who had GPA between 3.25 and 3.49 19 %
Percent who had GPA between 3.0 and 3.24 26 %
Percent who had GPA between 2.50 and 2.99 28 %
Percent who had GPA between 2.0 and 2.49 1 %

http://ww2.odu.edu/ao/ira/factbook/c...NAL%201112.pdf

Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
You say : "am I done?" Many have given advice about grades, let me encourage you to be confident in yourself.
Wherever you are, stay positive! My brother was a C minus student in high school . Help enrolled in a CC, started
With remedial classes, and later this year, a PhD will be his crowning accomplishment. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:27 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,062,247 times
Why do you think your grades are below a B average? (It shouldn't be real tough to have a B average in high school.) Are you certain that you are cut out for mental labor? Do you have the talent and drive needed to compete in a highly competitive job market against people who earned 3.0's and 3.5's in high school without breaking a sweat?

I'm not trying to be mean, just offering some food for thought. Education does not guarantee you a job in the field you trained for and it might make more sense to pursue some sort of blue collar skilled trade if you aren't real good at academics.

The best advice I have is to:

(1.) Keep your student loan debt as low as possible--focus on education that provides a good probability of a bang for a low buck. The days of most college graduates going on to have solid middle class incomes and secure careers are now mostly long gone and it might make better sense to focus on a field where the investment to enter the field is low but where you can earn a solid lower-middle class income (as opposed to making a large investment and getting saddled with student loans and no job).

(2.) Figure out who you are and what you are good at and what you can succeed at (in a field where you would have a good chance of success given the employment market in that field). Much of this comes through trial and error, gaining experience, and maturation.

Why do you think that you would be good at computer science and/or information technology?

...Before people jump all over at me for being mean, let me say that I don't intend to be mean. Sadly, the real world, especially in the "new economy", is a cold, hard place. Someone needs to confront the original poster with these types of questions and to help him get a sense of what lies ahead as he confronts early adulthood. He has probably had nothing but gushy touchy-feely, feel-good ("follow your dreams") career "guidance" and little real practical guidance. We're no longer living in an economic framework where hard work and education will guarantee success; instead the majority of people are going to end up being working poor and lower middle class with a moderate middle class. Young people need to consider how to address that fact when doing career planning.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 01-24-2013 at 01:37 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times
I was in a similar situation. I actually got declined. So I appealed, wrote a letter and got accepted. I had 2 varsity sports and I went to a very difficult HS(private college prepatory high school)

Problem was, I still had the same mediocre attitude in college just was through the motions of college because well after HS you go to college. About 3/4 the way I got booted. I went to community college which was a joke, my high school was more difficult. Then stopped school all together.

Soon after I had major health issues, realized life is a bit more serious. Worked hard at work, let wife finish a degree, then I went back to school, finished my AA and got a trade from a different tradeschool(has college credit). This time in school I was Interested in my school and busted my ass and did well.

If you attend school with a 2.6 gpa mindset from HS. You are probably wasting your time and money.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities