Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM

430 posts, read 1,192,936 times

Advertisements

I am in the 11th grade with a GPA of 2.6, the local college I want to attend only accepts GPA's of 2.9 and higher (Old Dominion University). In the worst case scenario if I never pull my GPA up or the collage declines me, is there a way to go to community collage and transfer into a university?

The major I am looking forward to is Computer Systems Analyst, do any community collages offer them? The problem is I do not no whether I want to go into Information Systems & Technology (BSBA) or Computer Science (BSCS)? What is the difference
Here are the links.

Both contain the same career Systems Analyst.

Information Systems & Technology - Old Dominion University

Computer Science - Old Dominion University

Hope you guys can help out.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-13-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,858 times
The best thing to do is to speak with an ODU admissions officer (make an appointment and see them in person if possible versus over the phone).

Let him/her know of your situation, why you want to attend ODU, and ask for any input on what you should do.

Also ask is there are alternative paths towards being admitted such as a community college program which allows you to work your way to ODU or see if you can be admitted on a probationary period. Good Luck!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
I wish you well. I'll repeat RedRage's excellent advice about making your inquiry in person, not over the phone.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-13-2013 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Fixed the collage typo you referred to, deleted your comment. :)

Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
While I agree with the suggestion of speaking to an ODU admissions person, I would also suggest that you continue looking for some safety colleges where you will be accepted. There are many links at the top of this forum that give you college searches where you can input your stats and what you want from a college - size, location, cost, major, etc.

A local community college is a good idea, but find out first what four year colleges they have articulation agreements with. That means that you would do two years at the CC and then take all those credits and transfer to a State college. This program at James Madison may interest you: James Madison University - Here's a CC where you could start at and end up at JMU: http://www.jmu.edu/admissions/files/...-agreement.pdf

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 21,996 times
CC may be the best route. I got into the 4 year school of choice, messed up my first semester, did CC for two years, and went back to finish at 4 year school. I would check your state and the community college agreement; it should be able to transfer from the same state 2 year to 4 year with all credits intact. You can try also apply to both schools, but the 4 year will be tougher and you risk not being ready for it. If the school is local, a lot of times colleges take many of the local high school graduates; think I just pulled up to a 3.0 and got accepted on the first try locally. I did have some honors and never took the AP Music Theory exam when I was concurrently enrolled. For senior year in hs, best way to pull up the GPA is to do regular or easy classes. I would calculate the GPA, do a proforma GPA calculation for worst, medium, and best case scenario for when you intend to apply to the college that is your 1st choice. CC has the same core classes, so it is a personal/financial choice where to go for gen eds. At least gen eds. help figure out what you will major in.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Miaugie View Post
I am in the 11th grade with a GPA of 2.6, the local college I want to attend only accepts GPA's of 2.9 and higher (Old Dominion University). In the worst case scenario if I never pull my GPA up or the collage declines me, is there a way to go to community collage and transfer into a university?
That isn't how it works usually. Just because there's an "average" GPA that doesn't mean that absolutely no one with a lower GPA gets in. It'll also come dowwn to the difficulty of the courses you took and your extracurricular activities. That being said, many students go the community college route. It's a good way to save money as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Get your 2 year at a CC and transfer. Keep your GPA in mind as you go through the CC.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:26 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,936 times
Thanks everyone for chiming in, I am going to bookmark this to use later down the road in life.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,961,724 times
Apply to a CC and then transfer to university in two years if your GPA doesn't improve.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
It does look like it would be an easy transfer to Old Dominion from a Virginia CC http://www.lfcc.edu/files/documents/...LDDOMINION.pdf

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities