Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,392,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
That means nothing when it comes to getting into UT. In Texas we have the top 10% rule now. That means that the top 10% in a graduating class get automatic admission to any state school, EXCEPT UT. Because UT is highly desired the cutoff changes year to year and usually hovers around 4-7%. Her kid could have knockout SAT scores and GPA but if she is in a highly competitive HS where even a high GPA does not mean a high ranking, it won't matter. Another student in a less competitive HS could be in the top 5% of their graduating class and have low to mediocre SAT/ACT scores and get in.
This is pretty recent and they can't publish rubbish. I've bounced around this site and the numbers are about right. At the 2 top UCs, the admissions percentage is under 25%, therefore, I find this reliable. There was once a time when UC had a guaranteed grade/test formula for admission. There was also a time when UCLA admitted about 1/2. Boy, how things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM

77 posts, read 218,618 times
@suzy_q: What a thoughtful reply and you brought up some great ideas about volunteering such as helping with the sport by organizing tournaments, etc. My daughter has done just a little of that b/c her fencing club often uses members as helpers during the summer when they offer summer camps for little kids.

@everyone: I wrote the original post about a week ago and you all are helping me feel more at ease about my daughter's participation in her sport. We're going to a college fair at the end of January, and in March we will begin visiting colleges and it will be interesting to see what the different universities are looking for in their incoming students.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM

2,219 posts, read 3,369,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Seriously?? How long ago did you apply for colleges? All of the applications want that information now.
No, they don't. Admission to the California State Universities are entirely based upon GPA/Test Scores (which convert to an eligibility index). They don't even have a space on the application for extracurriculars.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
No, they don't. Admission to the California State Universities are entirely based upon GPA/Test Scores (which convert to an eligibility index). They don't even have a space on the application for extracurriculars.
I have taken summer courses at the CSUs. I can honestly say I got quality instructors every time. They are all about teaching. Sadly, they are considered California's second tier university system. The UC system, with its emphasis on research, sees the stronger applicant pool. I could see the UC system's admissions offices as having to do a lot more head scratching, reading essays and looking for "David versus Goliath" stories of overcoming adversity in their admissions process.

None of the CSUs, of which there are many, are competitive for admission, except for Cal Poly SLO, which has some high-demand programs. At a whole bunch of them, one only needs a heartbeat - I'm talking about Bakersfield, Stanislaus, San Bernardino, and a few others. Again, one can get an excellent education there if they need to save money, they are geographically close by for commuting, and they don't get pulled down by the indifference of some students. But, yes, because of the applicant pool, I am not at all surprised the CSU system only looks at grades and test scores.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Ok, every school except for the California state schools then....

Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, every school except for the California state schools then....
I posted the info that the Colorado public colleges, all of them, use for their automatic admission on another thread in here. Extracurriculars are not included, just grades and test scores. They do admit more students than the AAs; it's possible they look at extracurriculars then.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,279,787 times
Unless you're getting scholarships through your sport. It doesn't matter.

Clubs, leadership roles and community service (in addition to test scores) play a much bigger role IMO.

Granted adding a sport wouldnt hurt anything, I just think colleges look for well rounded over achieving individuals.

Personally I put in a lot of effort into sports and should have spreaded out into other community and leadership roles. And despite having a 4.0 my test scores were on the lower side.

So I would personally not put too much stock in the sports side.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:25 PM

297 posts, read 513,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This is pretty recent and they can't publish rubbish. I've bounced around this site and the numbers are about right. At the 2 top UCs, the admissions percentage is under 25%, therefore, I find this reliable. There was once a time when UC had a guaranteed grade/test formula for admission. There was also a time when UCLA admitted about 1/2. Boy, how things have changed.
Not doubting the scores they are reporting. However, it is misleading.

In Texas we have the top 10% rule for admissions to state schools. Just because one gets a certain score on their ACT/SAT and their GPA is high, it does not matter. It all depends on where they fall in their high school class rank. My own kid with great scores could not get into UT because her school is highly competitive with the IB program and a strong AP program. She took all IB/AP courses, scored very well on her AP tests. GPA is a 3.8, NHS, president of clubs, etc Can't get into UT because for the Fall 2013 semester she is not in the Top 8%. She IS in the top 10% and can get into every other state school and was awarded a very nice merit scholarship to Baylor as well as one to the out of state (OOS) school she will be attending. if one wants to attend the Engineering or Business school at UT, the percentage is even lower.

Here, straight from the UT website:
Automatic Admission | Be a Longhorn

I have known parents to move their family away from the city out of a competitive high school to Podunkville, TX just so their kid can be in the top of the class to get into UT.

The other problem with UT is when it rolls around to the end of your 2nd year and you declare your major. They have a ceiling limit on each major so one better have a 2nd and 3rd choice.

Go on College Confidential and you can see for real life who gets in and who does not. That automatic admit has some strange ways of doing things.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,953,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeegirl View Post
My child is in 10th grade and is a fencer. She just made the switch from recreational athlete to competitive over the summer, but to me seems to be making very little progress. Coach assures me she's advancing in skills, etc. but she has yet to place very high in a tournament or earn a rating. We are in the Dallas area and the competition is keen. It is hard to break into the elite cadre of fencing here unless you're very, very good.

This is my question - how will a mediocre sports career look to a college admissions panel? She spends 4 days/week fencing and is participating in tournaments 3/5 weekends a month. Besides belonging to one school club and National Honor Society, she isn't involved in any other school activities due to fencing commitments. I am worried she'll never advance and have nothing to show for all her hard work, such as winning X tournaments and having a Y rating, come college application time.

So, would a college admissions panel see her fencing career as foolish and quixotic, or as an example of her "stick-to-it-ness" and depth of character? Should I encourage her to give up fencing which she will never be great at for something she might be able to excel in (although I have no idea what that "something" is?)
^ This. Schools won't care how good she is , unless they are considering her for an athletic scholarship. What they want to see is some demonstration of passion and commitment. It is widely acknowledged that participation in sports teaches a lot about managing time, leadership (and followership), cooperation, and commitment. Actually any activity including sports, music, debate team, school play, or a job, will be a big plus on her resume, especially if there is a multi-year commitment. 'Probably should have another such activity.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
Not doubting the scores they are reporting. However, it is misleading.

In Texas we have the top 10% rule for admissions to state schools. Just because one gets a certain score on their ACT/SAT and their GPA is high, it does not matter. It all depends on where they fall in their high school class rank. My own kid with great scores could not get into UT because her school is highly competitive with the IB program and a strong AP program. She took all IB/AP courses, scored very well on her AP tests. GPA is a 3.8, NHS, president of clubs, etc Can't get into UT because for the Fall 2013 semester she is not in the Top 8%. She IS in the top 10% and can get into every other state school and was awarded a very nice merit scholarship to Baylor as well as one to the out of state (OOS) school she will be attending. if one wants to attend the Engineering or Business school at UT, the percentage is even lower.

I have known parents to move their family away from the city out of a competitive high school to Podunkville, TX just so their kid can be in the top of the class to get into UT.
Ok, I get it. It's on a HS by HS basis. So, Van Horn TX versus River Oaks in Houston TX, then. That would explain the 530 + 570 = 1,100.

Sounds like a not necessarily race/ethnic/color based version of affirmative action.

I also think that public schools where you are admitted into your program junior year should be avoided. What if someone doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd choice for their desired major?

Hey, let's admit it, Texas can be funny about things. I've been there a couple of times. I was driving cross country and happened onto an Impala/Caprice being driven by a couple that looked out of "American Gothic" - the front of the car had longhorns instead of a hood ornament, and the rear had a Texan-sized bumper sticker saying "My daughter and my money go to TEXAS."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities