Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Yes but I have to wonder about how those statistics are calculated. Out of my peers there may be a very small handful who will find large salaries in comparison to their debt load. Some of these, especially the less scrupulous folks who enjoy the business field, will be making very large sums of money. This would skew the data if we look at averages. I'd rather see a break down of groups by salary range and highest degree held.

For example if we polled a million college graduates at various stages, how many with associates degrees make -20K, 21-40K, ect ect. Then the same for bachelors and masters and doctoral degrees. I think that would be more interesting than the data currently avaliable.

Most of my friends with BAs make 15-30K a year and have massive student loan debt. I would say I'd rather work a minimum wage job and not have the student loan overhead.
15K is considered federal poverty level---I doubt they are making that little--30K in many areas is a very good wage for someone just out of college, single. If they have massive loan debt, that is just being stupid about which college they attended.....

Old 03-06-2013, 08:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm a Boomer (born 1960) and a college grad (1982). At 30, the hubs and I had 1 car, 2 kids and a 2 bedroom/1 bath apartment. We both worked full time, but we had no retirement savings whatsoever since neither of our companies offered pensions and 401Ks were not widely available. We also had 1 TV, no VCR, no cable, no cell phones, no computers, no trips to anywhere and no meals at nice restaurants.
i bet you walked 40 miles to work every day , butt naked in the snow

Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
As a parent of a child that is about to leave off, I often ask myself this question. Its too expensive, and if you dont get some type of scholarship or grant your basically screwed. I rather have my child not go to college at all then drown in student debt all their life. A lot of kids these days have the Bill Gates fantasy stuck in there head, the "I dont need college, just look at Bill Gates".
if you're like me, college still makes sense.

that is: middle class, attended an in-state public school, and majored in something technical where the job market is strong.

deviate from this path of technical majors at in-state schools, and things become much more risky.

IMO where kids go wrong is:
A) Attending a private school or an out-of-state school, without scholarships, and borrowing lots of money to do so

B) Picking a career goal (or a major) that is unrealistic. For example, it's insane how many women want to do fashion merchandising, and how many men want to be sports agents. They might be fun but they aren't practical.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if you're like me, college still makes sense.

that is: middle class, attended an in-state public school, and majored in something technical where the job market is strong.

deviate from this path of technical majors at in-state schools, and things become much more risky.
Oh, BS----first, my kids can't afford state schools--they are 10,000/year + more than the private schools they are attending. Our son plans to go into a field with 0% unemployment and our D plans to go to medial school--again, a field crying for more people.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Oh, BS----first, my kids can't afford state schools--they are 10,000/year + more than the private schools they are attending.
Uhh.. what state do you live in where the in-state public tuition is higher than a private school?

And what private school are we talking about? I find this baffling.

Quote:
Our son plans to go into a field with 0% unemployment and our D plans to go to medial school--again, a field crying for more people.
How is this any different from what I suggested? Are you just disagreeing to be disagreeable ?

Or are you just using this as an opportunity to brag about your kid planning to go to med school?

Is there any point to your post?

Last edited by le roi; 03-06-2013 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM

83 posts, read 194,187 times
College was well worth it me, my associate degree got me out of factory work and into an office position (IT) and my two Bachelors (IT & Psychology) have greatly increased my salary. I acquired no loans and earned all of my degrees after I already had started a family. At the age of 34 I'm now considering a Masters degree or MBA since my employer covers around 3/4 of the cost.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,526,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Uhh.. what state do you live in where the in-state public tuition is higher than a private school?

And what private school are we talking about? I find this baffling.

How is this any different from what I suggested? Are you just disagreeing to be disagreeable ?

Or are you just using this as an opportunity to brag about your kid planning to go to med school?

Is there any point to your post?
She lets her personal experience of private costing less for her kids and thinks that is the norm in general which it is not.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
She lets her personal experience of private costing less for her kids and thinks that is the norm in general which it is not.
It is the norm for B students and better with test scores to match. We have had this conversation before. Go to any college net price calculator and put in a 3.7 GPA with a 28 or above for any LAC that offers merit aid, especially in the midwest and see what merit aid you get. Then do the math since public colleges give little to no merit aid.....

Between all of our kids they have applied to over 30 schools and across the board this was TRUE for all of them. I can list 200 kids from our high school that have had similar results and if you go to any college search website you will see the exact same results. YOUR kid couldn't find this for some reason, but every other kid with these stats can.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,526,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It is the norm for B students and better with test scores to match. We have had this conversation before. Go to any college net price calculator and put in a 3.7 GPA with a 28 or above for any LAC that offers merit aid, especially in the midwest and see what merit aid you get. Then do the math since public colleges give little to no merit aid.....

Between all of our kids they have applied to over 30 schools and across the board this was TRUE for all of them. I can list 200 kids from our high school that have had similar results and if you go to any college search website you will see the exact same results. YOUR kid couldn't find this for some reason, but every other kid with these stats can.
So like I said YOUR kids. National data doesn't agree with you.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,545,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So like I said YOUR kids. National data doesn't agree with you.
I think that B students CAN find colleges that cost the same as the higher priced State U's when they get substantial merit aid, but it's not a given. My youngest applied to about a dozen colleges and the bottom line price varied widely.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities