Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 PM

338 posts, read 741,290 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm no good at math (I can't even do algebra), and I wonder if there are any good majors and/or degrees that don't involve math or science, or am I doomed to be a failure in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:57 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I am not good at higher math either, but if I had a do over I think I would like accounting. I know many instances where people who were like me have found success at something orderly and predictable like accounting.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:00 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
OK, so I'm no good at math (I can't even do algebra), and I wonder if there are any good majors and/or degrees that don't involve math or science, or am I doomed to be a failure in life?
Can you muster a "C" in 1 semester of basic math at college? Because you will have to.

Generally, focused vocational stuff like hotel administration, construction management, industrial relations, degrees in education which are the preparation to teach (unlike stupid California where there is no BA/BS in Education), and a few others. You will be seeing numbers and spreadsheets. You just won't be doing mathematical or statistical calculations.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
The best route for many in the future will be the trades that cannot be outsourced: electricians, plumbers, carpenters, pipefitters, and the like. There will be some math and they do require some mechanical aptitude, but they'll make more money and enjoy more freedom in the future than most. Ask yourself: can the job be sent overseas? Does the job have to be done? Is the field already overcrowded? If no to all, it's a good bet.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:06 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Ho you are not "doomed to be a failure in life" because you do noy do well in Math. PLENTY of people are not good at or fond of Math and they do just fine at life! Amazingly well in many cases!

Without knowing your interests, it is hard to give advice. What are you interested in? That would be a good place to start.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am not good at higher math either, but if I had a do over I think I would like accounting. I know many instances where people who were like me have found success at something orderly and predictable like accounting.
There's another stereotype. Accounting does NOT require higher math. It just requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages or ratios. Accounting becomes difficult because you are applying these very simple tasks to commercial transactions and sometimes regulatory/legal concepts. A lot of people who slog through college with C+/B- averages in business sometimes inadvertently end up in accounting positions and, because of industry knowledge they accumulate over the years (insurance, health care, defense, construction, etc.), they sometimes do better in life than one would expect.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM

338 posts, read 741,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ho you are not "doomed to be a failure in life" because you do noy do well in Math. PLENTY of people are not good at or fond of Math and they do just fine at life! Amazingly well in many cases!

Without knowing your interests, it is hard to give advice. What are you interested in? That would be a good place to start.
Well, I like playing on my computer, and I enjoy writing. But, I'm not sure whether I want to do either of those for a career.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:12 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Also, whatever major you choose, be aware that math requirements will vary from university to university, for the same degree, and within a university for different degrees, often in a way that makes NO sense at all.

I was previously planning on attending a university in another state for a Bachelor's in Speech-Language Pathology. That school did not require college algebra as part of the core and was fine with a student taking Liberal Arts Math. As someone who struggles greatly with math, the LA math is still tough but I have a much greater chance of actually passing it vs. college algebra.

When I decided not to move there and researched other schools, many of them insisted on college algebra for the same degree. BS, BA, didn't matter.

The silliness is apparent at my own current school. I was previously a "Pre-communication disorders" major (again, Speech-language pathology) and while they were officially wanting college algebra, they were willing to accept Lib Arts math from a student if the student had taken it elsewhere and transferred the credit, in lieu of College algebra. So I was going to be able to go back to the community college and take it then transfer it and get an exception.

Now, I have changed majors to psychology and I MUST have the stinking college algebra to take statistics. With my previous plan I needed statistics too but not specifically psych stats and so the pre-req math class could have been LA Math.

Doesn't make sense to me at all since previously I was considered a "Health Professions" student, so more of a hard-science set of courses, and now I am under the Liberal Arts umbrella as a psych major. My point here is, there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason with what is required and what is not, so if you are trying to avoid a certain math class, it pays to poke around and see who requires what. Some of it just seems completely arbitrary to me.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Well, I like playing on my computer, and I enjoy writing. But, I'm not sure whether I want to do either of those for a career.
Like Sheena said, did you take an aptitude/career interest survey in HS? I think ALL HSs give them out. If so, what did it say? Most people remember the top results such a test kicked out.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM

50,366 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There's another stereotype. Accounting does NOT require higher math. It just requires adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and calculating percentages or ratios. Accounting becomes difficult because you are applying these very simple tasks to commercial transactions and sometimes regulatory/legal concepts. A lot of people who slog through college with C+/B- averages in business sometimes inadvertently end up in accounting positions and, because of industry knowledge they accumulate over the years (insurance, health care, defense, construction, etc.), they sometimes do better in life than one would expect.
Isn't that what I said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities