Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 06:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times

Advertisements

I rather enjoyed getting my masters in library and information science. I worked for 2 big law firm libraries and made excellent money for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
YZH

1 posts, read 1,975 times
I am a stayhome mom and I want to go to graduated school and then go back to work what kind of master degree is good if I want to make at least 60k per year?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayz_smilin View Post
Ok, so my question is:
What Master's degree can you graduate with where you will make atleast 50 60K and still have a somewhat flexible schedule? I want to be home atleast most nights and weekends and still be able to attend my kids games, etc. Am I asking too much?

Please help!
There is no particular Master's degree that "guarantees" this; there may be certain jobs that provide it. My suggestion to you is to stop focusing on Master's degrees and investigate which jobs actually provide the characteristics you want. Then work backwards and determine the qualifications necessary. Why would you waste your own time on a Master's degree in some area you're not personally interested in and know nothing about? There is not a one-to-one match between Master's degrees and job positions.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:06 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,017,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yeah, for engineering $45-55K is pretty typical for bachelor's right out of school. For a MS, you can expect from $55-65K. Of course, some will make more, some less, but most new graduates would fall in that range. Smaller companies typically give a more flexible schedule in my experience. Civil Engineering typically pays on the lower end of the scale, with Chemical Engineering on the high end.

Ah yes, but generally speaking I think Engineering degrees are also more expensive, so I think there is some trade off.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Ah yes, but generally speaking I think Engineering degrees are also more expensive, so I think there is some trade off.
I don't think so. Definitely not for undergrad--a credit cost $xxx, and you needed the same number of credits to graduate with an engineering degree or a sociology degree.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:42 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,734,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayz_smilin View Post
I have a lot of interests in different areas, that's why the question. I have been to every career website I could think of, but you never how accurate some of the info is. My dream is to become a Certified Nurse Midwife and open a birthing / community center in a rural area. I just don't know how feasible or realistc that is.
How about a career as a Nurse Legal Consultant? I heard that career lends itself well to telecommuting. This could make it a good possible 2nd job or sideline should you choose to move to a rural area. But when you said that you have a lot of interests in different areas, well that is a good indication that preparation for a career for Library and Information Science. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, librarians with a a specialty like medical or legal make bigger salaries.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:46 PM

784 posts, read 2,731,332 times
Why are you people responding to posts that are over 2 years old? Do you honestly think that the OP is still tracking this thread?

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 05-01-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 PM

208 posts, read 820,043 times
Default Go your on way...

This is not to offend anyone that has given advice, but I would stray away from advice telling you that profession "A" will make insert your dollar amount here.

My advice to you would be to find your interest and pursue a career from there, trying to find a generic profession that pays a certain amount of money doesn't mean that you will make that amount if you enter that profession. In my opinion this is why we are seeing more student loan defaults, people go into it thinking money first, and they think the degree is their ticket to the money. Well a great deal of experience will go a lot further than a degree, now since it's always best to stack the deck in your favor, having a degree and experience would be a great benefit.

I would not look for a magical dollar amount, you will only be disappointed when you obtain it, and then you will want more. From some posts it does appear that you enjoy healthcare, so I would agree with some other posters and say enter nursing, or some similar health field. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,395,509 times
Speech Path, OT, PT, Medical Social Work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities