Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times

Advertisements

I don't know if there are any that peruse this forum. If so, I just want to say sorry. I know what you are about to go through, because I have been going through it for the last five years. You are about to be told by random folks in Corporate America that you have no value in the labor force because of your education. I know your professors told you the different areas you could go into after college with your degree. You probably did some research about what you can do with your BA in XYZ and the site you came across probably referenced 20 or so different prospective careers for you. I bet you came across some salary data that indicated that the median salary for people with your degree is around $45k, but your first offer out of school will probably be more like $30k.

Again, I'm very sorry about what you are about to enter into. If it is at all possible, please consider changing your area of study to something more practical and that has a clear career path after college. Otherwise, you will find yourself not really knowing what to get into. People will ask you why you picked such a (useless) major in the first place. You are likely going to feel awful, and that you wasted the last 4-5 years of your life, as well as whatever money you spent on your education.

My advice to you that can't make any changes at this point is to keep your head up and keep trying. Don't feel bad about taking a lower paying job in an unrelated field for the time being. Once you get your foot in the door somewhere, the opportunities will start to arise for you to advance in your career. I am doing something completely unrelated to what I studied in college. And believe it or not, I make alright money for someone my age. Sure, I didn't start off making $50k/yr, but five years and a few jobs later, here I am. And I don't plan on stopping now.

And please, more than anything, ignore all the naysayers. Certain people who majored in accounting, finance, or engineering are going to look down on you. Heck, even people who never stepped foot in college are going to try to look down on you. They will say some very wretched, awful things about you and your potential. Please don't take it to heart, these people are ruthless animals and don't care about you at all. Once you get started in your career, at whatever level that may be, continue pursuing your education. Get certified in areas that will help you with your job. Use company reimbursement plans to pursue another degree if you are able to. But whatever you do, don't give up. The road ahead is going to be long and rigorous for you. You have to stay positive and keep moving forward.

Best of luck, Class of 2013!

Last edited by Tekkie; 04-17-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
I graduated in 2010 with a degree in English Lit. I didn't have a problem finding a job in my field and making fairly good money, enough to save for a place and put myself through grad school.

It's not easy, but it's also not as bleak a picture as many like to paint it out to be. The key is to have a game plan (EVERYONE-regardless of their major, needs a game plan in this economy)and to work/have references before graduating and entering the workforce.

I work for one of the largest recruiting firms in the world. We hire thousands on LA majors for our clients a year.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I graduated in 2010 with a degree in English Lit. I didn't have a problem finding a job in my field and making fairly good money, enough to save for a place and put myself through grad school.

It's not easy, but it's also not as bleak a picture as many like to paint it out to be. The key is to have a game plan (EVERYONE-regardless of their major, needs a game plan in this economy)and to work/have references before graduating and entering the workforce.

I work for one of the largest recruiting firms in the world. We hire thousands on LA majors for our clients a year.
I am glad to hear that and thanks for sharing. People are downright rude sometimes and have no consideration for how their negative speak impacts those just entering into the workforce. There are even mods on this forum who contribute to it.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
I've known a number of recent LA grads who either had jobs waiting for them or who were gainfully employed within a short period of time. Tekkie: based on your advice people should ignore you because you are a naysayer, correct?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
whatever you do, don't give up.!
Unless you're just getting started in which case you won't have much to lose if you were to switch majors to something that most likely won't get you a high paying job and drive you to post on City-Data complaining on how screwed up and unfair the world is.

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...rsue-them.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...d-useless.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ur-degree.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...e-dilemma.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ge-majors.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ege-now-i.html

Old 04-17-2013, 07:20 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
There's a word for people who talk down to people who go to college (regardless of their degree). I like to call them minimum wage workers.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I know your professors told you the different areas you could go into after college with your degree.
My professors are actually kind of realists about it. They don't hesitate to tell us what it's like.

Quote:
If it is at all possible, please consider changing your area of study to something more practical and that has a clear career path after college.
There is a career path, and I'm ready to fight tooth-and-nail to get into it.

Quote:
These people are ruthless animals and don't care about you at all.
I have an industry full of ruthless animals to deal with. I don't have time to care about any others.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Unless you're just getting started in which case you won't have much to lose if you were to switch majors to something that most likely won't get you a high paying job and drive you to post on City-Data complaining on how screwed up and unfair the world is.

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...rsue-them.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...d-useless.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ur-degree.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...e-dilemma.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ge-majors.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ege-now-i.html
Charles, you are one of the worst culprits on this forum for antagonizing and degrading people who aren't glorious and omnipotent engineers such as yourself. So just keep your harsh criticisms to yourself please!

Last edited by Tekkie; 04-18-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I've known a number of recent LA grads who either had jobs waiting for them or who were gainfully employed within a short period of time. Tekkie: based on your advice people should ignore you because you are a naysayer, correct?
I'm not a naysayer. I'm a political science/econ major sharing with fellow LA majors what I have dealt with. I'm hoping that my OP will help them not be so discouraged by the sure to be non-stop criticism they will receive from others. At least that has been my experience and I hope the best for them.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:31 PM

77 posts, read 145,106 times
Your Pol Science/Econs major isn't bad, compared with what I studied in my first degree

I don't know why you are getting constant criticism. It's good you are creating awareness, I try to do the same too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities