Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM

757 posts, read 1,105,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Your good. Major in Psych and get your MS in Social Work. Much Better oath than BS and MS in Social work. The first is more rounded.
What if I don't go to grad school? It is my plan to go to grad school, but I don't know what my financial situation will be in a few years and/if something comes up. At least, with a social work B.A. I can somewhat fall back on, but a B.A. in Psych is meaningless unless I definitely go for my Masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM

22,655 posts, read 47,843,952 times
No one gets a job in social work without an masters... at least no one I know!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:18 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,756,490 times
Yeah, I am not sure what jobs will be available to you with a BA in social work. I could be wrong though. It might be a bit better than a BA Psychology.

Are there other schools that have the BA in social work and are nearby?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM

757 posts, read 1,105,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yeah, I am not sure what jobs will be available to you with a BA in social work. I could be wrong though. It might be a bit better than a BA Psychology.

Are there other schools that have the BA in social work and are nearby?
Well, the main job I'm aiming for is psychotherapist. No matter what degree I aim for people are always going to say, "What job can you get with that??" or "Does that pay well?". I'm just going for whatever, I hate math, science, and don't want to write for a living. I just want a job that pays well that's about it. I've run out of options and I'm not good at anything, but I also don't want to be a security guard or work in retail for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Jonathanp219; 06-05-2013 at 09:33 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,501,365 times
It's easier to transition from a BSW to an MSW than it is from any other degree. Some MSW programs might require extra leveling courses or prerequisites if one has a degree in something other than social work, even if it's in a closely related field. Depending on the state, there is licensure at the baccalaureate level in social work, but most jobs want a master's level license.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:04 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,581 times
just to restate what most have already said, you definitely need to go beyond a BA if you want to make a living with the social work degree. Even the social workers in the hospitals need masters I believe, or at least a masters to be competitive.

The outlook on bachelor alone for social work is usually very poor, similar to just a bachelor in psychology or thinking a Bachelor's in anthropology will allow them to do research work, you need to above the BA

Old 06-06-2013, 11:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,301,895 times
Your best solution is to get a BA in psychology and then move on to a Master's in Social Work at another college, understanding that you made need to take extra prereqs at whatever school you attend for that degree.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,364,479 times
In Illinois you can be a Social Worker with a Psychology degree but I'm not sure if it is the same where you live.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,501,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In Illinois you can be a Social Worker with a Psychology degree but I'm not sure if it is the same where you live.
You might be able to work as a social worker, but not a licensed social worker.
Quote:
The Department has determined that all baccalaureate and master's degree programs in social work which are accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work, and the Council on Social Work Education by the Foreign Equivalency Determination Service of the Council on Social Work Education, are approved.
Section 1470

CSWE (Council on Social Work Education) only accredits social work programs.

This page gives further information. Only those who were registered before 1989 were grandfathered in and allowed to not have a degree in social work.
Section 1470

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM

102,268 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
What if I don't go to grad school? It is my plan to go to grad school, but I don't know what my financial situation will be in a few years and/if something comes up. At least, with a social work B.A. I can somewhat fall back on, but a B.A. in Psych is meaningless unless I definitely go for my Masters.
They're both pretty meaningless without an MA. Also be aware that Psych may require science courses. Psych is more broadly applicable to different fields, though, like personnel management, Human Resources work, even teaching, as well as social science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities