Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:04 AM

678 posts, read 698,420 times

Advertisements

ok so I've graduated high school without any college plans worked at arbys (fast food) and HATED IT!! and now realized how important education is so im going back to school. BUt i dont really know how to look for a school i have so many QUESTIONS!!! like I'm really into fashion and i want to make it a career not as a designer necessarily im open right now i kind of just want to land in it. COuld i get some school shopping advice??? i dont have good money so i wanted to start off at community college to get some sort of scholarship to help with the payments but as far as a university idk whats going on i want to do a study abroad program but its still all up in the sky right now. any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 12:21 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
ok so I've graduated high school without any college plans worked at arbys (fast food) and HATED IT!! and now realized how important education is so im going back to school. BUt i dont really know how to look for a school i have so many QUESTIONS!!! like I'm really into fashion and i want to make it a career not as a designer necessarily im open right now i kind of just want to land in it. COuld i get some school shopping advice??? i dont have good money so i wanted to start off at community college to get some sort of scholarship to help with the payments but as far as a university idk whats going on i want to do a study abroad program but its still all up in the sky right now. any suggestions??
Ok, wow. I would start with your local community college. Get some electives out of the way.

Fashion is hard to break into.

What state are you in and what were your grades like?

Also, stay away from for profit schools, they are a ripoff.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 AM

678 posts, read 698,420 times
im in kansas city right now but i want to move to nyc I'm not really looking to go to school in kc not because theres more fashion in nyc but i just need better surroundings and everybodys going to school here i wanna go outside the box!!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
im in kansas city right now but i want to move to nyc I'm not really looking to go to school in kc not because theres more fashion in nyc but i just need better surroundings and everybodys going to school here i wanna go outside the box!!
There is a lot of universities in NYC, few of them are cheap. In order to get a scholarship you would have had to have good grades in High school, they are very competitive. If you are older you might be eligible for the pell grant, but that is being scaled back I believe.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:05 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
Unless you are independently wealthy you will have to start college in KC while having whoever supports you now(mom? dad?) cover your financially. Once you do that talk to a counselor about transfer option and what you have to do in order to make it happen. "'I wanna go to NYC because it's cool" won't get you anywhere. I'm not even sure you are being serious here, that's how stereotypical this post sounds. Be smart about things.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Unless you are independently wealthy you will have to start college in KC while having whoever supports you now(mom? dad?) cover your financially. Once you do that talk to a counselor about transfer option and what you have to do in order to make it happen. "'I wanna go to NYC because it's cool" won't get you anywhere. I'm not even sure you are being serious here, that's how stereotypical this post sounds. Be smart about things.
I kinda have to agree. You dont sound like you really care or have put much thought into this. To really succeed in life you need to put in effort. Some vague, "I want to go to college what college should I go to and how do I get a scholarship," doesnt reflect well. There was a time where that was common but with the recession college grads are now starting to actually carefully plan college. What we have learned is it is easy to go into debt to go to College and get a degree that wont get you a good job. Instead you will be back at Arbys but in debt.

In fields like Fashion only the most proactive and lucky succeed. You need internships and work experience. You need a portfolio. It isnt easy. Even in fields like accounting or nursing some people cant get jobs.

You should really think about what you want more. I agree college is a good decision, as college grads still do much better than those without it, despite the problems some grads face. Still you need to know what you want.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:52 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Quote:
Forget NYC for now. The schools are very expensive and cost of living is quite high. Plus, it's crazy, crazy competitive. You've got people coming from all over the world to study fashion there, people who may have building up their portfolios since they were young teens. Not to dash any dreams or lessen your talents, but all I'm saying that even if you get accepted into a fashion program in NYC, there will be fierce competition for the few scholarships these schools may have.

For now, take your focus away from NYC and instead look to Chicago. Here are a few reasons why:
-No, the fashion scene isn't up to par with NYC, but it's better than KC, that's for sure.
-There are schools here in Chicago with fashion programs, including my alma mater, Columbia College Chicago. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago also have a well regarded fashion design program. These programs will still offer opportunities to study and intern in NYC and abroad.
-It may be easier to start off in Chicago and then, once you get a good portfolio started or establish a name for yourself, move to NYC. So many people rush to NYC for fashion that other cities are often overlooked.
-Finally, this may be the most important bit: should you happen to fail in your endeavor (not saying you will, but it's a tough field to break into and there are zero guarantees), Chicago is kinder city to fail in than NYC. The cost of living is MUCH lower and you'll be closer to Kansas City in case you need to return home. Having a nearby support system can be beneficial for when you're first starting out on your own and NYC is well known for chewing up starry eyed noobies and spitting them out on the streets penniless and depressed.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
First, work at writing with proper grammar and punctuation. I know this is just a message board but it's good practice.

Second, if you don't have any money your best bet is to start in the state schools where you live or even private schools there. Depending on your family situation, it could end up be a LOT less expensive then even a community college.

Third, over 80% of all college students change their major at least once. Don't pick a school just because of one major. You like fashion, great, but what do you want to do with that? You could be a buyer for a retail store. They want to see a business type degree though.

Make an appointment at what ever 4 year college is closest to you to visit campus, take a tour, talk to the financial aid people and the admissions people and see what they have to say about your high school grades, if you have to take the ACT or not, etc. (depends on when you graduated from high school). It will give you a starting point for where you need to go next.

Wait to go to New York. A studio apartment in NYC in a bad neighborhood is going to run at LEAST $1200/month--more than you make probably....then you have to get food, clothing, transportation, etc, etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 AM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
like I'm really into fashion and i want to make it a career not as a designer necessarily

Sooo... what exactly DO you want to do?
Model?
Buyer?
Merchandise?

That will help with school choices...

Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
You are rushing into things without a plan and you will fail. Go to the local CC and take some Gen Ed classes; that will give you time to think about what you want to do and make a plan.

Unless you did very well in HS, don't expect anyone to offer you scholarships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities