Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,353,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Not true at all. My sister graduated with a degree related to Fashion and she has a pretty decent job with a decent salary in NYC.
Hasty generalization. What is the likelihood of the OP getting a fashion job?

In other words, good for your sister. Do you think there are a lot of those jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:17 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,439,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nope.
The odds of you making it to the NBA are WAY worse (and virtually impossible if you are under 6'6"!).
Duh, Of course I know that, but the point is, unless a person is REALLY good in a competitive low demand field, he is either not going to make it or get paid peanuts.

For every one person who "makes it" in fashion or art or most liberal arts degrees, there are 69 who write threads like this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...eral-arts.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...worthless.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ple-major.html

Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 AM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post

For every one person who "makes it" in fashion or art or most liberal arts degrees, there are 69 who write threads like this:
And the OP just might be that one who makes it!
Pushing your ideas on optimal careers doesn't help the OP find his....

Old 07-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
And the OP just might be that one who makes it!
Pushing your ideas on optimal careers doesn't help the OP find his....
OK, Let him go for it. Maybe he will make it.

Or...

Unemployment Rant - Can't find a job ANYWHERE doing ANYTHING since 2009!!! (STILL jobless into 2013) - YouTube

Old 07-21-2013, 10:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Oy, seriously, I'm so tired of the "liberal arts majors are useless, you must major in a STEM major if you don't want to end up unemployed" mantra some people just insist on inserting on every thread. Guess what? Not everyone wants to do a STEM major. If you don't have anything useful to say to the OP besides "major in STEM, don't bother with a liberal arts major", then just go away. We don't need every single thread on this forum to digress into yet another discussion of what a "practical major" is.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:
Nope.
The odds of you making it to the NBA are WAY worse (and virtually impossible if you are under 6'6"!).

Not every one is gifted for STEM...

A voice of reason.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
now realized how important education is

its still all up in the sky right now.

any suggestions??
He asked for advice. I don't think he wanted poster filtered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
just go away.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Oy, seriously, I'm so tired of the "liberal arts majors are useless, you must major in a STEM major if you don't want to end up unemployed" mantra some people just insist on inserting on every thread. Guess what? Not everyone wants to do a STEM major. If you don't have anything useful to say to the OP besides "major in STEM, don't bother with a liberal arts major", then just go away. We don't need every single thread on this forum to digress into yet another discussion of what a "practical major" is.

Yes. It seems that every single thread on the forum must disintegrate into this silly tirade about STEM majors and the "worthlessness" of the liberal arts.

STEM majors are worthwhile if you have an aptitude and an interest for these subjects. If you don't it's a waste of time.

We should use our gifts - not work against them.

What would a world be like with out artists, writers, actors, lawyers, editors, counselors, therapists, entertainers, designers, law enforcement, social workers, journalists and teachers?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:53 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,353,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
STEM majors are worthwhile if you have an aptitude and an interest for these subjects. If you don't it's a waste of time.

What would a world be like with out artists, writers, actors, lawyers, editors, counselors, therapists, entertainers, designers, law enforcement, social workers, journalists and teachers?
The OP hasn't taken any classes and is working at Arby's. Don't give me some crap about artists, etc... (by the way, I'm not too incredibly clear why you lump the fairly employable fields of teaching, law enforcement, social work, and therapists in with artists and entertainers)...(s)he has NO idea if (s)he has an "aptitude and an interest" beyond maybe reading some magazines. That's all it is at this point, a pipe dream and crap. The OP needs to actually get into it a little before (s)he can figure out if that's what (s)he really wants to do. Let me quote them:

'like I'm really into fashion and i want to make it a career not as a designer necessarily im open right now i kind of just want to land in it'

That's not a well-formed plan, or a path to a credible fashion-based degree and potential employment. That's a stream of consciousness.

I wish I could be a novelist; the fact is, it's probably not going to happen, and I didn't put myself in debt and unemployable and pursue it after taking a couple of writing classes. That is the prudent thing for the OP to do: investigate a career by taking some basic prereqs and seeing what they really want to do when they grow up prior to plunging into moving to the MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN AMERICA.

Am I against liberal arts? Most definitely not. Someone entering liberal arts because they want a broad education and don't want to specialize, YET, is great. Someone entering liberal arts because they are entering a rigorous institution, with a plan to pay for the degree and some idea of what they want to do afterwards, is great.

I AM against kids ruining their lives in a field that is most likely going to result in a fruitless career. STEM offers a better chance of employment, which in turn would allow them to pursue their passion, perhaps as a second career. If they prefer to do a liberal arts employable career, have at. Fashion, ain't it. Knowing a cousin who knows a sister who knows a girl who works fashion, ain't evidence it's employable.

Sheesh, your advice. It would work well on the farm. It would be creative, and fertilize crops.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:53 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Yes. It seems that every single thread on the forum must disintegrate into this silly tirade about STEM majors and the "worthlessness" of the liberal arts.

First off, fashion is not what I consider Liberal Arts. It's more of a trade.

Secondly, it's just a different perspective. Though some people may be more extreme than others.

Chasing your passions if they are non-practical...acting, music, art. I would never discourage that IF you have a true passion for it and you can't imagine a life doing anything else. OP is just kind of like, "I kinda wanna go to school, and I kinda want to do fashion."

If he comes on here saying, "I've been cutting up Barbie doll dresses since I was 6 and I have 50 scrapbooks full of designs and I'm going to fashion school." then nobody says a thing.

That said, fashion is actually semi-practical. Fashion buyer is a real job that you can get at several smaller textile and apparel importers.

When you see how tough and competitive it is to make it in this world, sometimes you just have to take practical road.

My sister has a child that she may have to raise by herself one day. Do you think she's happy that she's a physician instead of an artist (her passion when younger) or a journalist for that matter? You bet your a@@ she does.

My mother told me I should be a pharmacist when I graduated HS because I would definitely have gotten into the accelerated program and it was a good, secure living. I told her it was way too boring. Now, many years later, I wish I had listened to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities