Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM

678 posts, read 697,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
First, forget fashion - you'll just end up back at Arby's, or perhaps working the register in a department store. You don't have to decide now - you can begin community college by taking the required courses for a degree. They are basic classes in a variety of subjects and are required for all degrees, so you can work towards the degree before you've chosen your major. This is usually what students do for two years. That will give you a chance to try different subjects and find out more about what you are good at. You should probably talk to a counselor at the local CC. Try to choose a useful career path - something with a strong job market - not just something that sounds interesting.
you guys keep describing fashion like its a rap career or something it is an ACTUAL CAREER! with real jobs and everything stop making it seem like its a hobby do your research!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
you guys keep describing fashion like its a rap career or something it is an ACTUAL CAREER! with real jobs and everything stop making it seem like its a hobby do your research!!!
I have a history major and im pretty certain i can find a decent job before you get a fashion career.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Yes, it is, but that still doesn't make accounting math, science, technology, or engineering. Accounting is not a liberal art, so it can't be mathematics. I don't know where people get this notion that STEM is supposed to be completely exclusive of the liberal arts. STEM is just an acronym for four fields that the government thinks are vital to the economy and are experiencing a shortage of qualified employees.

Liberal arts - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Liberal arts | Define Liberal arts at Dictionary.com

liberal arts - definition of liberal arts by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

LEAP | What is Liberal Education?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

Does anyone need anymore clarification?
Actually i do, history...is it a social science or a liberal art?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,472,326 times
Quote:
They are actually a lot alike. Fashion, music, painting, acting.....these are artistic careers. You can study art, fashion, theater arts, and music in college, but it's difficult to become successful. You need a lot of talent and a lot of luck to be in the right place at the right time. Now, if you want to sell clothes, then you should probably focus more on the business end of things with a minor or concentration in fashion design.

Quote:
Employment of fashion designers is expected to experience little to no change from 2010 to 2020.

Some growth is projected for this occupation in specialized design firms and for self-employed fashion designers. Clothing and accessories designers will be needed to design comfortable and more affordable items for the mass market and everyday wear. In addition, as new clothing technology is developed, fashion designers will be needed to create garments using new fabrics, such as moisture-wicking fabrics.

However, fashion designers in the apparel manufacturing industry are expected to face declining employment, which should prevent overall employment from increasing.
Quote:
Job Prospects
Strong competition for jobs is expected because of the large number of people who seek employment as fashion designers and the relatively few positions available.

Those with formal education in fashion design, with excellent portfolios, and with industry experience will have the best job prospects.

In addition, it may be necessary for some fashion designers to relocate. Employment opportunities for fashion designers are highly concentrated in New York and California. In May 2010, almost 75 percent of all salaried fashion designers worked in these two states.
There were 21,500 fashion designers in 2010, and it's projected that there will be 21,500 fashion designers in 2020.
Fashion Designers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 07-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Actually i do, history...is it a social science or a liberal art?
The liberal arts include humanities, social science, natural science, and mathematics. History is a social science (sometimes it's considered humanities because it's not really the study of human behavior), so it's a liberal art. The domestic dog is a canine and canines are mammals, so dogs are mammals.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:29 PM

315 posts, read 563,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Nursing is not science; it's healthcare. You have to take a good number of science courses, but nursing in and of itself is not a science. Accounting is not mathematics; it's business. The math used in accounting is not even advanced; it's just tedious. Economics includes a lot of math, but it's still a social science.
Does that really matter? Not every single person wants to be a nurse, yet that's always suggested when someone mentions something everyone sees as impractical. Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse. Not everyone WANTS to be a nurse, and not everyone has the aptitude or the patience to pass all the science and math classes required to obtain the degree to become a nurse. It doesn't matter if it's technically not a science, it's still very science based. You need to take microbiology, general biology, chemistry, orgo, etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Does that really matter? Not every single person wants to be a nurse, yet that's always suggested when someone mentions something everyone sees as impractical. Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse. Not everyone WANTS to be a nurse, and not everyone has the aptitude or the patience to pass all the science and math classes required to obtain the degree to become a nurse. It doesn't matter if it's technically not a science, it's still very science based. You need to take microbiology, general biology, chemistry, orgo, etc.
I don't know why you're focusing on me. I'm not the one who started the topic. Someone said that nursing is STEM, and I'm disagreeing. Someone else disagreed too. If you want to get mad about the discussion, focus your energy on the person who started it. Everything else you said is irrelevant to what I said. I didn't say that everyone should pursue a nursing career or anything close to it. Most of the required science courses in nursing are introductory level anyway. You don't have to be a math whiz to complete a nursing degree.
http://mysaccatalog.alamo.edu/previe...&returnto=2440

Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Okay.

"10 Entry Level Jobs in the Fashion Industry"

10. Store Manager — 10 Entry-Level Jobs In The Fashion Industry | Complex

Helpfully, it includes salaries in NYC!

10. Store Manager
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $40,000

9. Sales/Brand Representative
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $59,000

8. Junior Visual Merchandiser
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $30,000

7. Editorial Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $28,000

6. Personal Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $27,000

5. Marketing/Social Media Assistant

4. PR/Advertising Account Coordinator
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $38,000

3. Design Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $42,000

2. Assistant Buyer
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $47,000

1. Interns
Estimated Salary (in NYC): Unpaid, transportation and lunch compensated. [Let's assume 0]

Since you can't apparently do your own research, I helpfully computed the following for you on the top 9:
Average salary: $37,889
Standard deviation: $10,553
[This means that, assuming skewness and kurtosis of 0, almost everybody-95%-in one of these entry level jobs makes from $16,783 to $58,993. For the sake of argument, let's assume you make $40,000]

Average 1-bedroom in NYC, per
Average Rental Prices in New York City

About $1,500. $1,500 * 12 = 18,000.

So, you'd have to go to school-say 4 years. You probably won't be working then. THEN you have to scrap for one of those jobs.

That gives you $22,000 for food, tuition or student loan payments, electricity, heat, entertainment, clothing, taxes, savings.

Hope you like Top Ramen, and roommates. A lot of them.

Dude, if you want to do fashion that bad, go for it. But I beg of you-don't leap into someplace expensive like NYC without a REAL PLAN. ' i kind of just want to land in it' is not a real plan. You'll land in it, alright.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Okay.

"10 Entry Level Jobs in the Fashion Industry"

10. Store Manager — 10 Entry-Level Jobs In The Fashion Industry | Complex

Helpfully, it includes salaries in NYC!

10. Store Manager
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $40,000

9. Sales/Brand Representative
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $59,000

8. Junior Visual Merchandiser

7. Editorial Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $28,000

6. Personal Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $27,000

5. Marketing/Social Media Assistant

4. PR/Advertising Account Coordinator
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $38,000

3. Design Assistant
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $42,000

2. Assistant Buyer
Estimated Salary (in NYC): $47,000

1. Interns
Estimated Salary (in NYC): Unpaid, transportation and lunch compensated. [Let's assume 0]

Since you can't apparently do your own research, I helpfully computed the following for you on the top 9:
Average salary: $37,889
Standard deviation: $10,553
[This means that, assuming skewness and kurtosis of 0, almost everybody-95%-in one of these entry level jobs makes from $16,783 to $58,993. For the sake of argument, let's assume you make $40,000]

Average 1-bedroom in NYC, per
Average Rental Prices in New York City

About $1,500. $1,500 * 12 = 18,000.

So, you'd have to go to school-say 4 years. You probably won't be working then. THEN you have to scrap for one of those jobs.

That gives you $22,000 for food, tuition or student loan payments, electricity, heat, entertainment, clothing, taxes, savings.

Hope you like Top Ramen, and roommates. A lot of them.

Dude, if you want to do fashion that bad, go for it. But I beg of you-don't leap into someplace expensive like NYC without a REAL PLAN. ' i kind of just want to land in it' is not a real plan. You'll land in it, alright.
Wow, do PR reps and social media consultants really make that low even in NYC? Damn, I made more as a teacher than that!

Btw, OP, if you really want to see how much things cost, you can always watch True Life: I'm moving to new york. Yeah I thought I wanted to move to NYC too, it was a real eye opener.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
These community college programs may work: Business and Commerce - Home

Business: Fashion Buying & Merchandising Degree | Herkimer County Community College

Marketing Retail and Fashion Department

Fashion Merchandising - Westchester Community College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities