Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,704,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, they do.

In addition to me living in the area for ~ 10 years, I had a friend who did payroll for one of the larger ad firms in the city. Entry level media assistants with bachelors in hand make around 35K a year.

To survive, they live in an outskirt city like Jersey City or Astoria and hole up with 3 to 4 other roommates or more. With drinking and partying expenses, most barely break even, and many do into debt.

If some of those YUPs are able to successfully climb the ladder, they can make a pretty penny and properly afford the NYC lifestlye. Others will end up 'going back to law school' or go back to the shantytowns they came from (joking ).

It makes me laugh when people think that just because you work in an office that has an address on Park Avenue, you make 80K as an administrative assistant. LOL. Most people in NYC don't make that much more than you. Believe me.
wow, that sucks...and I wanted a job like that, but I don't know if I could live on 35k a year, but I guess one does what they have to. I thought people in NYC did make a lot of money. Guess I was wrong lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM

678 posts, read 698,420 times
i hear you guys and appreciate all the feedback i actually wont be moving for another year ill be visiting in october to check out the sights but this isnt a last minute thing ill be going down there to visit with some landlords about prices and see areas i can live in. i work at a hotel so i can TRANSFER jobs because i know going down there without a job is going to be hell so IF AND WHEN i do go ill be able to transfer locations ( my job owns hotels all across the world). i want to express to you guys that im not moving down there on a WHIM or LAST MINUTE DECISION im moving down there because for so long i have soled myself short. And im only 20 but i beat myself up about how bad i did in high school. I see new york as a stepping stone for myself for getting out on my own and actually pulling my own weight for the first time. I realize now that i need to push myself to work harder and smarter. i have the creative mind i have the passion.I HAVE IT!! thats why im waitting for another year because usually when i like something it isnt for long but when i fell in love with fashion i FELL IN LOVE!! and ever since then ive grown stronger and closer to it. Its a sense of togetherness and and acceptance in my life. Im not looking to be a designer with all the fame and fortune. HONESTLY i dont even want to be famous. I want to be happy. of course id like to have a place to sleep at night and food on the table and thats it!! ive learned that a career isnt based on what you do its how often you do it. And fashion is something i can do for the rest of my life and be happy. Fashion is something i do everyday. Wiether its from the blogs i see, to my street style to what i read to how i think. its something i do everyday. I know its gonna be hard but i know in my heart i can do it. And yes there will be moments when i fail. Ill Fall flat on my ass and what people dont seem to realize is that at some point when you fall you have to get back up. You cant stay on the ground?? not in life defeat just simply isnt an option. not in my book.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Oy, seriously, I'm so tired of the "liberal arts majors are useless, you must major in a STEM major if you don't want to end up unemployed" mantra some people just insist on inserting on every thread. Guess what? Not everyone wants to do a STEM major. If you don't have anything useful to say to the OP besides "major in STEM, don't bother with a liberal arts major", then just go away. We don't need every single thread on this forum to digress into yet another discussion of what a "practical major" is.

I am so tired of it too! I wish I could give you nine reps!

Apparently, some of these less creative left brained types DO want every thread to digress into a fear mongering, bash the liberal arts, science rules thread.

If the OP is interested in fashion, them he or she should study fashion.

I am equally confused about why some posters think that every college career needs to begin at a Community College. Why?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:03 AM

5,053 posts, read 6,353,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am equally confused about why some posters think that every college career needs to begin at a Community College. Why?
Because they aren't as good as they think they are and can't get into Ivy-league schools on a full ride

Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,031,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
i hear you guys and appreciate all the feedback i actually wont be moving for another year ill be visiting in october to check out the sights but this isnt a last minute thing ill be going down there to visit with some landlords about prices and see areas i can live in. i work at a hotel so i can TRANSFER jobs because i know going down there without a job is going to be hell so IF AND WHEN i do go ill be able to transfer locations ( my job owns hotels all across the world). i want to express to you guys that im not moving down there on a WHIM or LAST MINUTE DECISION im moving down there because for so long i have soled myself short. And im only 20 but i beat myself up about how bad i did in high school. I see new york as a stepping stone for myself for getting out on my own and actually pulling my own weight for the first time. I realize now that i need to push myself to work harder and smarter. i have the creative mind i have the passion.I HAVE IT!! thats why im waitting for another year because usually when i like something it isnt for long but when i fell in love with fashion i FELL IN LOVE!! and ever since then ive grown stronger and closer to it. Its a sense of togetherness and and acceptance in my life. Im not looking to be a designer with all the fame and fortune. HONESTLY i dont even want to be famous. I want to be happy. of course id like to have a place to sleep at night and food on the table and thats it!! ive learned that a career isnt based on what you do its how often you do it. And fashion is something i can do for the rest of my life and be happy. Fashion is something i do everyday. Wiether its from the blogs i see, to my street style to what i read to how i think. its something i do everyday. I know its gonna be hard but i know in my heart i can do it. And yes there will be moments when i fail. Ill Fall flat on my ass and what people dont seem to realize is that at some point when you fall you have to get back up. You cant stay on the ground?? not in life defeat just simply isnt an option. not in my book.
I currently have half my DNA attending FIT. My daughter is a student there and I wouldn't have wanted her to go anywhere else, and she made some great schools. The tuition for out of state students is about 9K higher for out-of-state students over in-state (we are in NY). They offer many many career options in the Fashion Industry beyond design. Fashion Marketing, Manufacturing, Textiles, Advertising, and so on. They have close to 10,000 students and they are not all designers. FIT is an incredible place if you want to be immersed in all things fashion, just be aware it is not an easy school to get in to. On the one hand they do not require SAT scores, on the other hand they look for a solid 3.3+ GPA with a preference given for honors and AP classes. Many students have heard the essay is the single most important thing for admission. They want you to express your passion for fashion - in less than 750 words. They only accept a little over 40% of their applicants and of those, very few turn it down. Once there the immersion is great, the professors are usually working professionals in the field, the internships in the industry are unparalleled (this was the deciding factor for my D), you are involved in Fashion Week NYC, and many fashion shows including FIT's. Guest Speakers are some of the biggest names in the industry.

Since you are out of HS already, if you really want to pursue this you might consider moving to NY 1st, establish residency then apply to their PT/Evening program as an alternitive. Might have a slightly easier time getting admitted, it would be a little cheaper, and you can work and go to school at the same time.

There are no guarantees, but you're only 20. Like I told my daughter, hopefully you have a very long life ahead of you, do something you love.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
wow, that sucks...and I wanted a job like that, but I don't know if I could live on 35k a year, but I guess one does what they have to. I thought people in NYC did make a lot of money. Guess I was wrong lol
Some people in NYC make a ton, others dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities