Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,704,477 times

Advertisements

Business majors top list of underemployed college grads, report says - latimes.com

I was just wondering, everyone says to not major in liberal arts, well it seems that it's not a good idea to study business either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Business majors top list of underemployed college grads, report says - latimes.com

I was just wondering, everyone says to not major in liberal arts, well it seems that it's not a good idea to study business either.
For a different reason.

People say don't major in liberal arts because there are no or few real world jobs in those fields, other than teachers.

OTOH, there are obviously many real world jobs related to business, but there are just too many people and too many schools that offer the degree. The job market is oversaturated.

If you want a major which provides job opportunities, you have to think of 1) demand and 2) confinement. Business has demand, but no confinement. Medieval Russian Lit has confinement but no demand.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:50 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,069 times
Regardless of what degree you go for, someone will tell you it's not worth it. Here's some real advice: Go to college to educate yourself, not to please others.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,772,858 times
It has never been a good idea to major solely in a pre-professional major. You should always major in another core subject with it, in the event you do not go on to professional school (which is the case for many business majors now).

Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
The issue I have found is that we are producing too many college graduates. Out of the 70% of millennials graduating high school, 70% of them go off to college. Of that about, half wash-out. However the millennials are the largest generational cohort since the baby boom. So the sheer number of graduates is too high. Add that to the fact that we have gen X and boomers looking at the same jobs as college graduate millennials and even high school grad millennials (in some cases.)

I am a business major from last May and I am still looking for work. The fact is we have far few jobs for all of the labor force.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,793,448 times
The problem isn't the degree itself. It's that college grads are competing in an environment where there are now applicants with real world experience AND a degree. Employers will likely favor someone with 5 - 10 years experience and a degree over a recent grad with no experience.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM

And thats the problem, why are employers being so rude when it comes to hiring? A few years ago i heard a story where business people were upset because recent grads did not know how to communicate or write. In fact, some couldnt even write a memo! So you a have a choice, hire a business major and teach him howto write, or hire an english/history major and train them how you choose. No one major will ever encompass all the learnings that business will want us to have. The problem is that businesses need to quit being so picky when it comes to hiring. If the position requires a degree then that is fine, but most dont require an exact business degree, they just prefer it, especially when you are studying general business, a lot of that stuff you will never use. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

As for article, i knew this a few years ago when the few business grads that i knew could not find jobs or ended up working in kiosks at the mall

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
For a different reason.

People say don't major in liberal arts because there are no or few real world jobs in those fields, other than teachers.

OTOH, there are obviously many real world jobs related to business, but there are just too many people and too many schools that offer the degree. The job market is oversaturated.

If you want a major which provides job opportunities, you have to think of 1) demand and 2) confinement. Business has demand, but no confinement. Medieval Russian Lit has confinement but no demand.
I would hire the russian lit major, it sounds interesting and im sure they would be a good worker and have high analytical skills and be able to write well

Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I would hire the russian lit major, it sounds interesting and im sure they would be a good worker and have high analytical skills and be able to write well
Hire him/her to do what?

Old 06-20-2013, 05:37 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,883,499 times
What do they mean by business grads?

I can see management or marketing grads having issues getting jobs right now.

However, accounting is usually business and it is easy to get a job in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities