Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:06 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,756 times

Advertisements

By business grads they mean just business not Accounting majors or finance majors or economics majors, or supply chain management-which are all separate and somewhat distinct, by business grads means "Business" and not one of the various off shots or components of business.

General business I can understand, just like someone going for an MBA with no professional experience. I would also lump economics-BA in economics there as well, however at the last career fair I went to it seemed most recruiters where impressed with the econ majors so there ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,897,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
By business grads they mean just business not Accounting majors or finance majors or economics majors, or supply chain management-which are all separate and somewhat distinct, by business grads means "Business" and not one of the various off shots or components of business.

General business I can understand, just like someone going for an MBA with no professional experience. I would also lump economics-BA in economics there as well, however at the last career fair I went to it seemed most recruiters where impressed with the econ majors so there ya go.
I have a BA in econ and it was never useful for me. Accounting was.

I dont understand what business is. People major in 'business?' That does sound kinda useless. You learn business as you do it.

Economics isnt really business IMO. It is related and often taught at business schools but it is more of a science. MIS is also sometimes taught at business schools but really something seperate.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
When I was in college at the U of Pittsburgh, many football players majored in "business".

Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I was in college at the U of Pittsburgh, many football players majored in "business".
Same at Northern Arizona U. I heard from my ex who worked equipment that many thought it was an "easy" major.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,610,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

I dont understand what business is. People major in 'business?' That does sound kinda useless. You learn business as you do it.

Economics isnt really business IMO. It is related and often taught at business schools but it is more of a science. MIS is also sometimes taught at business schools but really something seperate.
I do agree with you on the majoring in business part. If I where to major in a business discipline I would definitely go with Accounting- that seems much more applicable, more employable than a general business degree.

As for the economics its a weird thing. I assume just the BA wont get you much in terms of job but maybe that has changed. I took a few econ classes for fun and those who where majoring in had goals of working as an economist for the government or working for the IRS. I assume the IRS would be more willing to hire accounting and finance majors over business majors and I assume you need more than a BA to be a professional economist

Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,231,074 times
I know several average high school students that went to school for "business" at a no-name business college. When they finish, they will be competing against students who are smarter and more motivated. In 2013, the business college reputation means everything. Most of the better programs have cooperative relationships with regional companies.

For instance, the University of MN Curt Carlson School of Management has an average ACT score of 30. US News & World Report ranks CSOM #17 for their undergraduate program with around 700 students. The majority of students had jobs well before graduation day.

Go to school for "business" so long as you are applying to a solid program or risk struggling to find a job. Students and parents that go in autopilot mode assuming that jobs will be plentiful don't have a clue. It's dog-eat-dog for "business" majors.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,140,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I know several average high school students that went to school for "business" at a no-name business college. When they finish, they will be competing against students who are smarter and more motivated. In 2013, the business college reputation means everything. Most of the better programs have cooperative relationships with regional companies.

For instance, the University of MN Curt Carlson School of Management has an average ACT score of 30. US News & World Report ranks CSOM #17 for their undergraduate program with around 700 students. The majority of students had jobs well before graduation day.

Go to school for "business" so long as you are applying to a solid program or risk struggling to find a job. Students and parents that go in autopilot mode assuming that jobs will be plentiful don't have a clue. It's dog-eat-dog for "business" majors.
Yes, this is true.

I know people who went Stern and Haas for undergrad business and have gotten good paying jobs. They typically don't even need to go on to do an MBA.

On the other hand, if you go do a business degree online, it might be slightly better than having no degree at all.

I generally think school reputation is not as important as people make it out to be in the real world, but this is one situation where it matters significantly.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,502,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post

Economics is a social science. You can use the scientific method to try to study it, but it's much affected by human behavior just like psychology and the other social sciences.

The degree is most often called business administration. There are also business management degrees that are less quantitative in nature. Business administration is an interdisciplinary degree. It's the general studies or liberal arts degree of the business world. You take a couple of accounting courses, a couple of management courses, a couple of finance courses, etc.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM

10,182 posts, read 20,819,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
And thats the problem, why are employers being so rude when it comes to hiring? A few years ago i heard a story where business people were upset because recent grads did not know how to communicate or write. In fact, some couldnt even write a memo! So you a have a choice, hire a business major and teach him howto write, or hire an english/history major and train them how you choose. No one major will ever encompass all the learnings that business will want us to have. The problem is that businesses need to quit being so picky when it comes to hiring. If the position requires a degree then that is fine, but most dont require an exact business degree, they just prefer it, especially when you are studying general business, a lot of that stuff you will never use. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

As for article, i knew this a few years ago when the few business grads that i knew could not find jobs or ended up working in kiosks at the mall
There's no excuse for someone with a business degree who is unable to write a simple memo. You typically need to take some college writing courses in order to earn the degree. Not to mention all of the papers you'll be writing for other courses as well. You don't have to be an English major to know how to write. If I were hiring someone with a degree as a requirement and they were unable to draft a simple memo using proper grammar and punctuation, I would have reservations about hiring them.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,502,310 times
Wasn't there a thread with someone complaining about business or some other kind of majors having to take a business writing or communications course? I think it's important. A lot of young people these days don't know how to draft formal letters or even address an envelope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities