Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,092,679 times

Advertisements

Do you get paid every other week? Method I've taken to loans is instead of paying once a month, I make 2 payments of 1/2 each month. You have to remember that it's also based on time. Seems to lessen the bank account a little bit that way as well, I know it's just mental, though.

I was fortunate that the Army paid off all the principle on my student loans with the exception of my smaller $2,000 loan and any interest from loans. I have to pay the $2,000 myself but it's only a $40/month minimum payment so it's easy to overpay on that every month. The Army has paid back nearly $60,000 for me so I can't complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,074,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I have $28,970 in student loans. My payments are around $250.00 per month. i want to pay off my loans in five years will the U.S dept EDU allow this? also Will my loans still accumulate interest after my grace period ( six months after graduation) Also if I pay on time will my loans still accumulate interest?
What is your interest rate? It might not actually be in your best interest to pay them off quickly with the way the stock market is (i.e - if you took that money and got a 7% return in the stock market as opposed to paying off a 4.5% loan).

Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
What is your interest rate? It might not actually be in your best interest to pay them off quickly with the way the stock market is (i.e - if you took that money and got a 7% return in the stock market as opposed to paying off a 4.5% loan).
Risk v. reward. The 4.5% is a sure return. 7% is a possible return, and nobody can predict the future. People lose sight of that, all the time.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,510,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Student loans should not be a source of stress. It's like a car payment or insurance. Sure, it sucks paying for them but the alternative is not having a college degree. If you can reasonably expect to pay them off quicker because you can afford higher payments do it, but otherwise don't stress. Don't put your life on hold by not having a car, decent place to live, or not take vacations just because you have student loans.
Agreed. I was wanting to chuck more cashmoney at mine every month. My loan balance isn't bad, nor is what I pay over minimum every month hurting me by any stretch. My friend who lived on loans from start until his masters doesn't sweat that "second mortgage" as he puts it, because the gubmint will just put your overpayment to interest, anyway. So, why bother going overboard unless you have lotto winnings to throw at it?

I only have $22k and grad school at U of Florida would be about $17k. I should be able to swing that.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Risk v. reward. The 4.5% is a sure return. 7% is a possible return, and nobody can predict the future. People lose sight of that, all the time.
And people lose sight of the LONG term implications of not having money invested as early as possible. I have to agree, if the loans were subsidized, the interest rate is below 4%. At $250/month for a payment, even working at a $10/hour job he should have no issues paying on those loans, provided the rest of his expenses are reasonable. It's not a clear cut answer not knowing the whole picture....but in the last couple years the stock market has gone from 6500 to 15,000==would have been a shame not to take advantage of that just because you might not get 7% return.....

Time Value of Money just to illustrate a point....

Old 07-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,694,567 times
If you have a parent live with them your first 1-3 years and dedicate half or more of your paycheck to the loans ( that is if you can even find a job paying a livable wage). Maybe deffer them and save the money and pay all at once before interest sets in .

Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
If you have a parent live with them your first 1-3 years and dedicate half or more of your paycheck to the loans ( that is if you can even find a job paying a livable wage). Maybe deffer them and save the money and pay all at once before interest sets in .
The problem is college loans start to accrue interest in those first four/five years while you are in school. Now sure you can pay it off quicker if you can get the job, the issue is with the way hiring is now, the $10 an hour job ROTC is not really much of a reality.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 PM

853 posts, read 4,042,605 times
If you can overpay, then I'd focus on any private loans or higher interest rate loans first, especially if you have private loans with a variable rate. If you have any loans that haven't capitalized the interest yet, then those might be good to focus on as well depending on your other loans and rates.

There may be some calculators on websites such as finaid.org.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM

5,052 posts, read 6,358,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And people lose sight of the LONG term implications of not having money invested as early as possible. I have to agree, if the loans were subsidized, the interest rate is below 4%. At $250/month for a payment, even working at a $10/hour job he should have no issues paying on those loans, provided the rest of his expenses are reasonable. It's not a clear cut answer not knowing the whole picture....but in the last couple years the stock market has gone from 6500 to 15,000==would have been a shame not to take advantage of that just because you might not get 7% return.....

Time Value of Money just to illustrate a point....
We'll have to agree to disagree. Everyone has different comfort levels. My comfort level, the thing that makes me sleep soundly, is in not having debt. I don't think carrying debt is a good idea unless it is absolutely unavoidable: student loans before you're out of school, mortgage, MAYBE a car loan if you absolutely must.

People invest all the time in 4% or less vehicles: bonds, CDs, etc., and in many cases to mitigate market risk of the market swings inherent in stocks.

Functionally, there's no difference between paying off a loan early, even at that low interest rate, and doing those low-interest vehicles-plus, you know, interest won't accrue on a loan you've paid the minimum on if you get laid off.

If someone really wants to get investing, I don't see a problem with paying the loan and putting a little away on the side, but paying the minimum on a loan is rarely a way to get ahead, even at a very low interest rate: human nature is such that we always plan to invest the difference we save by paying the minimum on low interest rate stuff, and never do. We spend it on Starbucks, movie tickets, toys, and clothes.

FWIW, I am 80% invested in index funds and individual stocks and 20% in bonds. I started really putting it away AFTER I paid my student loans off. I used the amount of the student loan payment I was used to paying monthly (as I paid more than the minimum). My only debts at the moment are mortgages, and I plan to keep it that way (and yes, pay them off early).

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree. Everyone has different comfort levels. My comfort level, the thing that makes me sleep soundly, is in not having debt. I don't think carrying debt is a good idea unless it is absolutely unavoidable: student loans before you're out of school, mortgage, MAYBE a car loan if you absolutely must.

People invest all the time in 4% or less vehicles: bonds, CDs, etc., and in many cases to mitigate market risk of the market swings inherent in stocks.

Functionally, there's no difference between paying off a loan early, even at that low interest rate, and doing those low-interest vehicles-plus, you know, interest won't accrue on a loan you've paid the minimum on if you get laid off.

If someone really wants to get investing, I don't see a problem with paying the loan and putting a little away on the side, but paying the minimum on a loan is rarely a way to get ahead, even at a very low interest rate: human nature is such that we always plan to invest the difference we save by paying the minimum on low interest rate stuff, and never do. We spend it on Starbucks, movie tickets, toys, and clothes.

FWIW, I am 80% invested in index funds and individual stocks and 20% in bonds. I started really putting it away AFTER I paid my student loans off. I used the amount of the student loan payment I was used to paying monthly (as I paid more than the minimum). My only debts at the moment are mortgages, and I plan to keep it that way (and yes, pay them off early).
The big difference is that once you pay off those student loans early, you don't get that money back ever.

When you graduate college, you generally have little to no savings. You gradually build that up through investments, savings accounts, CDs, 401(k)'s, or IRAs. If you take those savings and use it to prioritize student loan debt, you actually put yourself in greater risk for bankruptcy because you have no cash for emergencies.

If after 3 years, you end up with no student loan debt, no savings, and then suffer a serious life issue like being laid off, a serious injury or medical issue, etc., you will then rack up serious debt quickly. The issue is that unlike the Dept of Education, which allows for pretty easy deferments if you are sick or unemployed, your new creditors will come after you hard and destroy you.

If you instead saved 6 months to a 1 year's worth of expenses in an investment vehicle where you can get the money back (i.e. IRA, mutual fund, 401(k)) in a pinch vs. repay student debt beyond the normal repayment schedule, you'll avoid racking up bad debt during these trying times.

If nothing catastrophic happens, no big deal, your savings hopefully grew in your retirement accounts or investment accounts.

Not to mention that student interest is deductible when you don't make that much money, so your effective rate of interest for student loans may be very, very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities