Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times

Advertisements

my parents are married but living separately. they did a married but separate tax file. both qualify to file their tax return as head of household and they did.

but the college says you cannot have two heads of household and need to amend the tax reutrn

since they live separately, how can they deny aid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,989,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrard2 View Post
my parents are married but living separately. they did a married but separate tax file. both qualify to file their tax return as head of household and they did.

but the college says you cannot have two heads of household and need to amend the tax reutrn

Did they deny aid or just say that you can't have two heads of household?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:17 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,048,616 times
If they live separately, I'd use the one that I lived with the majority of the time.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,740,126 times
Whatever address you used for your primary residence is the one they will probably consider. If you are 24 or older you can apply independent, even if you live with your parent you don't need to include there information.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,881 posts, read 58,541,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrard2 View Post

Back to school for you !
Publication 501 (2012), Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information

CANNOT file as head of household if married,,,, BUT,,,, if YOU care for your parents and live with and provide qualifying support to one or more of them for over 6 mo / yr YOU can file for head of household... BTDT... I got custody of a sick parent the day I became a legal adult... age 18. (and for 32 yrs to follow)

Fafsa is not friendly, fortunately I funded my kids ONLY through ROTH IRA's so they had the dough to go, and also qualified for loans (no aid... cuz I had a job (single income family, very poor single income family).) They invested their loans in AAPL and NFLX er... I mean they invested the "equivalent of their loans"... about 1000% return.

They consolidated the loans for 2.7% for 20 yrs... no hurry to pay that off.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,512,029 times
For 2013 your FAFSA should only include the numbers from the parent with whom you live the most. Starting next year that is changing to include income from both parents. If you go to a school that uses the CSS, that form requires both parents already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities