Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,431,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi Pik.....I am attaching a link that I haven't gotten all the way through yet, but it may have some helpful info for you. Looks like elder care is a growing niche and won't be going away any time soon (thank god cause I'm older today than I was yesterday!!). I think you would be excellent as a caregiver - kind, compassionate, thoughtful, smart, and determined. You would be a ray of light into an older person's life. Anyway - there may be some info in here that may prove useful - but here it is: Workforce Training > Workforce Training > Issues & Solutions > Eldercare Workforce Alliance
Also check out the National Council on Aging, and how about Hospice Care? Hospice nurses are the best of the best IMHO - I have never met one that was not just absolutely wonderful - but that's not for everyone. I once dated a man who now manages a hospice program in Texas - he was a minister (Southern Baptist) when we dated, and it has been his life's work. It is a fulfilling occupation - not just "a job".
Thanks, C. I will look at that. I know before my mom passed, we used hospice and they were absolutely the best. They were there for the family just as much as for the patient.

I was able to know where my mom was (in health and in her journey) every step of the way.

I would rather help them in life, than closer to their last days.

In the healthcare filed, I have noticed that the elderly are not treated with the love and respect that they deserve. They are almost treated as less important, and I don't like it.

I used to help out several of my elderly patients outside of work, and it was something I enjoyed doing. I would love for society to treat the elderly with the dignity and the respect we would like to be treated with, as younger people.

I used to have a co worker that just treated people in general so badly, but the elderly even worse. I treat each patient as though they are someones grandma or grandpa, or treat them in the same way they would want a person in the healthcare field to treat their own grandparent, etc.

It just doesn't happen that way, unfortunately, but it is how I do it.

I am really trying to work with the elderly and their advocacy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Mortuary Science.
Aww. Aren't you just as sweet as apple pie????

Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,448,150 times
Asset protection against nursing home expenses (teaching people how to wisely move their assets around to allow them to qualify for nursing homes expenses paid by the government).

Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,732,963 times
I actually briefly dated a state police investigator whose main area of investigation involved going after elder abuse cases in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Sad that it's common enough that a police detective can completely specialize in just that.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Asset protection against nursing home expenses (teaching people how to wisely move their assets around to allow them to qualify for nursing homes expenses paid by the government).
As far as I know, while that is a god idea, I think it is also against the Medicare/caid guidelines.

Not certain, but seems that is how it was....or maybe that is how it was when my mom needed to qualify to get it, it was years ago, not sure.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I actually briefly dated a state police investigator whose main area of investigation involved going after elder abuse cases in nursing homes and long-term care facilities. Sad that it's common enough that a police detective can completely specialize in just that.
I totally believe it's common enough.

There used to be a small home of people that would come in to the office I worked for in the past, and they asked me if I wanted to run it. I was younger back then and going through a separation and there was no way I wanted to do that......

They seemed to take good care of their residents.....

Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 AM

412 posts, read 686,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Be that as it may, I don't know what an AS in gerontology would qualify one to do. People with AS degrees are not usually managers.
No, people with AS degrees are usually CNAs or assistants of some sort. But an AS in the field would at least get your foot in the door to see if you really want to work with the elderly.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:26 AM

412 posts, read 686,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
As far as I know, while that is a god idea, I think it is also against the Medicare/caid guidelines.

Not certain, but seems that is how it was....or maybe that is how it was when my mom needed to qualify to get it, it was years ago, not sure.
They frown on that type of thing and it can be considered fraud in some cases. Link below to article in Kiplinger.

Onswipe

Old 07-12-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
No, people with AS degrees are usually CNAs or assistants of some sort. But an AS in the field would at least get your foot in the door to see if you really want to work with the elderly.
AS..associates? CNA is much lower than an Associates degree, if that is what you were meaning...

Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
They frown on that type of thing and it can be considered fraud in some cases. Link below to article in Kiplinger.

Onswipe
That is what I was thinking.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities