Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:38 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I just had a quick question about MBAs, I am actually looking to see if I could possibly due one online. I originally was going for a Master's in Public Administration, but I might be moving and they do not offer online classes. I thought about sucking it up and trying to finish since I have only 7 classes, but I am afraid that I won't be able to due to lack of funds and housing, so my choices are pretty much either a Master's in Education or an MBA online. I found one for Texas A&M- Commerce. The only thing that worries me is the math. I am HORRIBLE with math, like it is a miracle that I graduated College Algebra, but I did it and I got a C in stats at my 4 year university. So my question is this: How much math is typically involved for someone that is not good at it? Is there anyone here who has done an MBA online from texas a&m commerce? If so, what was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
MBAs require you to take a handful of rigorous finance and accounting courses. There are some business courses that make use of a significant amount of statistics. Also, keep in mind that MBAs are usually 60 credits.

Texas A&M-Commerce does not rank for MBAs. You might want to consider another school.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
MBAs require you to take a handful of rigorous finance and accounting courses. There are some business courses that make use of a significant amount of statistics. Also, keep in mind that MBAs are usually 60 credits.

Texas A&M-Commerce does not rank for MBAs. You might want to consider another school.
I just feel like if I don't do an MBA, that I won't get a decent(or good) job..I wish that I wasn't so bad in math, but there is nothing I can do, this has been an ongoing problem since I was 5 years old..yep, it started that long ago. I am very good at languages though. Oh and what did you mean when you said it doesn't rank?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Generally, you should go to a school ranked within the top 20. Ideally, the top 10.

Start here:
Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

An MBA is a great degree, but only if you study under the right faculty and program.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I just feel like if I don't do an MBA, that I won't get a decent(or good) job..I wish that I wasn't so bad in math, but there is nothing I can do, this has been an ongoing problem since I was 5 years old..yep, it started that long ago. I am very good at languages though. Oh and what did you mean when you said it doesn't rank?
What kind of job are you trying to get and what's your background?

An MBA to me is like a 'cherry-on-top' sorta degree. It's not really a stand alone degree without other degrees or experience.

I mean it can be, but not usually I would say.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I promise you, OP, a helava number of MBAs were earned by students who never saw the inside of a school which ranked 20.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, I just had a quick question about MBAs, I am actually looking to see if I could possibly due one online. I originally was going for a Master's in Public Administration, but I might be moving and they do not offer online classes. I thought about sucking it up and trying to finish since I have only 7 classes, but I am afraid that I won't be able to due to lack of funds and housing, so my choices are pretty much either a Master's in Education or an MBA online. I found one for Texas A&M- Commerce. The only thing that worries me is the math. I am HORRIBLE with math, like it is a miracle that I graduated College Algebra, but I did it and I got a C in stats at my 4 year university. So my question is this: How much math is typically involved for someone that is not good at it? Is there anyone here who has done an MBA online from texas a&m commerce? If so, what was your experience like?
Why not try to transfer some of your MPA credits to another program? Several schools will accept 6-9 transfer credits. There are a few online MPA programs that are NASPAA accredited.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I'd find a way to go for the Public Admin program. Some math is probably still required, but nowhere near as much. DO NOT sign yourself up for a math-intensive program. You'll fail, tuition money will be wasted, you'll be miserable. Speaking as a mathophobe, myself.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd find a way to go for the Public Admin program. Some math is probably still required, but nowhere near as much. DO NOT sign yourself up for a math-intensive program. You'll fail, tuition money will be wasted, you'll be miserable. Speaking as a mathophobe, myself.
Haha, thanks for the advice..i just got through looking at master's programs at one of the places you suggested and I was like, "Hmm.. a Masters in Econ and international business.. I could do that" And while I probably could, it would struggle far more than everyone else. I thought originaly that the math problems were my fault and that it was just me being lazy or not studying hard enough. When I found math tests from when I was 5 that I was failing, and then I found report cards with the same thing..I knew that I had a problem. I wish I could do something to change the way my brain is wired but I can't. It's funny because my roommate is great at math...but sucks at languages which I excel at. My plans after I graduated were to originally get a Masters in Spanish since I am practically almost fluent anyway..not bad for someone not speaking the language growing up...but what can you do with it besides teach? So I put it to the side and concentrated on something that I think could get me a job, the only thing is while the MPA is a professional degree, I think it takes a while to get up to where one is making the 60k range.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Haha, thanks for the advice..i just got through looking at master's programs at one of the places you suggested and I was like, "Hmm.. a Masters in Econ and international business.. I could do that" And while I probably could, it would struggle far more than everyone else. I thought originaly that the math problems were my fault and that it was just me being lazy or not studying hard enough. When I found math tests from when I was 5 that I was failing, and then I found report cards with the same thing..I knew that I had a problem. I wish I could do something to change the way my brain is wired but I can't. It's funny because my roommate is great at math...but sucks at languages which I excel at. My plans after I graduated were to originally get a Masters in Spanish since I am practically almost fluent anyway..not bad for someone not speaking the language growing up...but what can you do with it besides teach? So I put it to the side and concentrated on something that I think could get me a job, the only thing is while the MPA is a professional degree, I think it takes a while to get up to where one is making the 60k range.
I bet I could get you to ace college Calculus. No prior math knowledge needed.

Quick question: How do you think you would fare in Calculus I if you studied 2-3 hours a day for it, on top of 30 hours for each midterm and 40 hours for the final exam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities