Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM

409 posts, read 2,634,339 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this university? I am trying to complete my MBA and I am trying to decide what online university to use.
They claim to be fully accredited (Accredited by DETC and NCCU) and claim to charge just $2,890 per semester. Now this looks too good to be true for an online university.

Here are some of the questions I hope someone with more knowledge can answer:

1. Is this a legitimate university and not a diploma mill?
2. Are those 2 accreditations nationally recognized?
3. Are these accreditations the same as other state universities?
4. Will the federal government recognize this university for hiring qualifications purposes?
5. What other affordable, reliable, and accredited online university do you recommend?

If this university IS the real deal it is definitively worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
No first hand experience but I can tell you what an acquaintance has related to me. She is completing her BA online right now and she is very pleased.

She would more than likely love to give you more information.

I know it's not a diploma mill and it is not for profit, private and accredited.
Not sure if there is an actual campus.

I think it's name is derived from the fact that several governors of academically underserved Western states, formed a university to fulfill the academic needs of people who live in remote areas.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
I agree, it is not a "diploma mill" but is a known online university. I have one testing candidate who is currently "attending" WGU, though he plans to get his masters from another university as he has had some difficulties actually talking with a person (I do believe that is his only complaint).

For online universities, the "biggies" are Thomas Edison State College (NJ), Charter Oak State College (CT), and Excelsior College (NY). These universities have great acceptance of college credit awarding exams like CLEP and DSST, so allow for a great transfer of credits from these exams. WGU accepts some of these exams, but not nearly the amount of the Big 3 (as they are called).

I see that WGU is both nationally accredited (by DETC) and regionally accredited (by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities). Regional accreditation is preferred, even though the phrase "nationally accredited" sounds better. If you plan to get a Bachelor's degree at a nationally-accredited university and then transfer to a different college or even go for a Master's degree, your next college will require courses from a regionally-accredited university.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:16 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,648 times
WGU does NOT have the AACSB accredited MBA for employers who may give a hoot, so keep that in mind. There ARE online only programs that are AACSB however. The one crux is that you have to show up for at a minimum one weekend for "residency". This is how they can maintain such accrediation.

As far as respect goes, I dunno. I toyed with going there (still am, actually) for masters but I get really turned off by those stupid commercials with that guy that sounds like he's hopped up on skittles. Especially the commercials (here in washington) on TV where they have people posting with their dumb billboard. It seems like whoever is in charge of marketing get bonuses based on how cheap they make the brand look.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Are there no senior institutions in your home state that have MBA programs? Do any of them offer the program online, in part or wholly?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM

345 posts, read 994,537 times
I've only recently heard of WGU from its advertising. I'd be leary of any online university that's strictly online. Generally, they have not achieved a good reputation because so many are unknown and/or diploma mills.

If you must get a degree online, go with a well-established and respected university. It's your time, money, and career, so be wise.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I am taking a good look at WGU. I think it is better than the average diploma mill. It seems to be a legitimate form on education.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
For a school to truly be a diploma mill, it has to lack accreditation. WGU is regionally accredited, NCATE accredited (for those aspiring teachers), and it's non-profit. The only problem with WGU is that there could be some difficulties getting into some graduate programs because the school does not have GPAs. However, there are some very well-known, brick and mortar schools that operate on the pass/fail system.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM

17 posts, read 89,060 times
Default WGU is a first rate university...

WGU was one of only 10 institutions invited to the White House just a couple of months back. In fact, Texas, Indiana and Washington State have now created WGU state colleges. WGU is accredited by the same accrediting body as BYU. Try a quick google search.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM

17 posts, read 89,060 times
FYI...WGU is one of the highest rated online institutions. They were started by 19 state Governors and have been recognized nationally at every level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
I've only recently heard of WGU from its advertising. I'd be leary of any online university that's strictly online. Generally, they have not achieved a good reputation because so many are unknown and/or diploma mills.

If you must get a degree online, go with a well-established and respected university. It's your time, money, and career, so be wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities