Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM

65 posts, read 217,855 times

Advertisements

I am 30 currently employed full time in a decent job with an average salary. I have a bachelors in a liberal arts field. I worked tech support & other IT roles years back but got out of it once I finished college to do what I thought I wanted. I miss the IT field & want back in. But my experience is stale, no current certs. I dont want to/cant quit my day job. I want to go back to school. I notice this program is non-profit(personally important, but not sure it matters otherwise) of course regionally accredited, but best of all fairly cheap, I can likely finish fairly quick & a lot of industry certs are included in the price. I realize I wont be competing for jobs with Harvard grads, but what are other peoples views on this program? Hopefully from people in the IT field, HR, or graduates from WGU. Is it worth it? Will it help me get a foot in the door? I see the job market being rough for awhile, I dont need to make a fortune, would even be ok if I got out doing tech support, would beat the hell out of being layed off and ending up being qualified for nothing but really flipping burgers or something with my previous Bachelors of Arts. Ya I have great soft skills, people skills, but so do millions of others. I dont just want to throw away money to a really bad program/school. Any help, advice, Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu8912 View Post
I am 30 currently employed full time in a decent job with an average salary. I have a bachelors in a liberal arts field. I worked tech support & other IT roles years back but got out of it once I finished college to do what I thought I wanted. I miss the IT field & want back in. But my experience is stale, no current certs. I dont want to/cant quit my day job. I want to go back to school. I notice this program is non-profit(personally important, but not sure it matters otherwise) of course regionally accredited, but best of all fairly cheap, I can likely finish fairly quick & a lot of industry certs are included in the price. I realize I wont be competing for jobs with Harvard grads, but what are other peoples views on this program? Hopefully from people in the IT field, HR, or graduates from WGU. Is it worth it? Will it help me get a foot in the door? I see the job market being rough for awhile, I dont need to make a fortune, would even be ok if I got out doing tech support, would beat the hell out of being layed off and ending up being qualified for nothing but really flipping burgers or something with my previous Bachelors of Arts. Ya I have great soft skills, people skills, but so do millions of others. I dont just want to throw away money to a really bad program/school. Any help, advice, Please?
You have a degree already.If its another undergrad then no it's not wise. If its a Master's I could get behind that. But you would be over educated for entry level IT positions. Which is the only positions you could get assuming you aren't we'll connected.

The thing about IT is you don't need a degree for most positions. Certs hold equal or more weight. Self study would be the best way. If you require a more structured program then I suppose a degree plan from WGU would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities