Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,256,770 times

Advertisements

You can major in Communications, English Lit, Art or anything you want and go to Law School or Med School.

Just see a pre-law counselor at your school, and follow the pre-law curriculum. It isn't a major.

To my knowledge, there is no set pre-MBA curriculum. I have a relative by marriage who was a Theater Arts major and now has an MBA from a well respected university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 10:34 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,526,732 times
The pre-law curriculum is not even necessary. In fact, the LSAT scores of pre-law students are some of the lowest.
http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS...-of-Majors.pdf

Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 PM

332 posts, read 871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It depends on the field you go in but I would say in most cases it is better to get a grad degree in a different area from your BA. It shows you are flexible, can learn new things, and you will have a more broad knowledge base. There are exceptions to this.

MBA is a great example. It was originally designed for Engineers to learn about business. Getting a degree in Business then getting an MBA is just redundant.

I did accounting and econ undergrad. Now im doing Information Systems for grad. This is a hot combo right now. Likewise accounting mixes well with law.

In the job market you want to set yourself apart.
Why is it a hot combo for grad? I have a BA in economics in undergrad and want to go back to school for information technology or computer science. I even contemplated the medical field but I have yet to take a programming course! I took Econ because I thought I wanted to go to law school. What do you suggest I do?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:43 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,310,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I hear often that graduate programs such as MBA and Law could really care less what you did for your bachelors degree. So it seems like most of these type of master programs just want you to go to a credited school with a good reputation and experience. Is it wise to major in something else in your bachelors that's opposite from your masters or is it safe to alway stay focused on one type of study since your freshman year in college?
Technically, these are professional degrees, not graduate school degrees, but MBAs are on the fence; they are part Master's degrees and part professional degree. Graduate school does not train students to work in a particular career (academia aside)--only to master the material and gain expertise in a particular subject. Professional degrees like MBAs, Law, and MDs, to name a few, is advanced training for a particular career.

For most graduate-level degrees you need to major in something during undergrad that is at least related to your intended study in graduate school. With some programs you only need to have taken a handful of required pre-req's regardless of actual major.

Another difference is that participating in research during undergrad is crucial to graduate school admissions, not so much for professional schools.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,191,467 times
Quote:
So pretty much you can literally major in anything other then LAW for bachelors but as long as you maintain a high GPa and do good on your LSAt. Your good to go?

I was a science major (BS) and then into a management masters. I told them, after working in the science, that I wanted to move up within the organization into management and administration. It makes perfect sense.

Now, I did have to take a number of prerequisites I didn't have in undergrad that the liberal arts and some other majors would have had.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:48 AM

293 posts, read 318,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The pre-law curriculum is not even necessary. In fact, the LSAT scores of pre-law students are some of the lowest.
http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/AAS...-of-Majors.pdf
I find it incredibly ironic that criminal justice majors scored the lowest.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,205,057 times
Quote:
I hear often that graduate programs such as MBA and Law could really care less what you did for your bachelors degree. So it seems like most of these type of master programs just want you to go to a credited school with a good reputation and experience. Is it wise to major in something else in your bachelors that's opposite from your masters or is it safe to alway stay focused on one type of study since your freshman year in college?
Depends on what one is doing, doesn't it?

One BS is in Engineering Technology-Telecommunications. The people I went to work for, the Navy, wanted me more because I had an engineering trained mind, able to understand their systems.

The next BS is in Marine Biology. I'm not working for the most part in a biology area but one of the great things is I can walk in on almost any subject and have an instant hand up than many people in our modern world. I'm a Generalist Extraordinare.......I know A LOT about A LOT.

One Master's is in Criminal Justice. If anything, my LE and intelligence experience in the Navy contributed to that. When I signed up for that degree, I was under the opinion that with that and my experience, at the very least, I could get a job in many an administration. May not have been no more glamorous than writing interface code for printers, but at least it would keep me eating.

The second Master's is in Geography. I know water law and GIS. My capstone project had me working with SWAT teams.

A and B

A: There is working with what your degree is about and then there is working your degree to work for you. Sometimes, it helps to be more to the point. Despite my oceanography courses in my geography degree, if they are asking for an oceanographer, I need a degree that says that. Sometimes, you don't need to be as close but in any event, what you do need to be do is sell yourself to who you want to work for.

B: In all fairness, do keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't need a $50K/yr job. If you need more money, you may have to be closer to the point.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:10 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,806,122 times
Quote:
I would say that's generally true for law school. High GPA and LSAT are most important but all things being equal if you're going into corporate law, an accounting background is helpful. An engineering degree is helpful if you're doing patent law or if you want to work in-house for a high tech company. Even if you graduate from law school, you may decide you don't like the actual practice of law and you may need to fall back on your undergrad degree.

I personally don't think a criminal justice degree is useful unless you're 1000% sure you want to practice criminal law. You may have one required criminal law class in law school and if that's not your area of interest, there's no need to take additional classes.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 AM

6,371 posts, read 7,851,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I was a science major (BS) and then into a management masters. I told them, after working in the science, that I wanted to move up within the organization into management and administration. It makes perfect sense.

Now, I did have to take a number of prerequisites I didn't have in undergrad that the liberal arts and some other majors would have had.
Similar experience. My undergraduate degree is in Computer Science. Before I was admitted to the masters program, (Geography - different university), I had to take all of the undergraduate Geography courses which would qualify me for a bachelors degree in the new discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities