Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,119 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a junior at a lowish ranked school (number 60 on US News rankings) double majoring in economics and computer science with a 3.3 GPA. I will likely graduated in December if I take summer classes (I will be 21- tradition student).

After struggling through some of my theoretical computer science classes, I've decided that is not the path I want to further my studies in. It neither interests me greatly, nor do I have the natural ability to do well in it. I also don't have the experience required to actually have a software related job.

Economics fascinates me more, but it is too broad for it to lead to any self sustaining job at any level below PhD for the average individual. Both finance and information tech seem to have more job opportunities. I'm looking for a job that pays around 40k/year, but I'll settle for 30k/year.

Based on my undergraduate experience information technology seems to be better suited. However, it's hard for me to find a college that actually offers this degree in a normal grad school setting as most are aimed for working professionals (thus offered as night classes/online/etc). I also only want to be in school for a max of 2 years for a master's program, preferably one.

I honestly know little about finance minus the one class I took for it. It seems that finance is more applicable than economics. I.e Finance uses/amends the formulas that economists come up with. It also seems to have plenty of job opportunities. The options for a finance masters seem to be much greater and more to my liking (Tradition setting).

I should add, money is not an issue. Also, I'd like my programming skills to come in use one day something that doesn't seem possible with a master's in finance.

I've also thought about leaving school and just joining the industry, but I'm fairly certain if I did that, I'll never return to school (I'm not much of an academic). A master's degree seems to be necessary to actually get a self staining job. One day I'll like to not live off my parents.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-23-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,428,704 times
Youre limiting yourself to IT, and a career youve only taken one class for? Sounds legit to me.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times
Whichever one you enjoy doing and can see yourself doing ten years down the road. I'm in the finance field and i can tell you that its a very difficult industry to break into off the bat(especially lucrative repurable position) but once your in it and work for a good company within the industry opportunities are pretty set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities