Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 08:08 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times

Advertisements

I have recently decided to go back to school to improve my career options as well as to receive better pay. I am really into politics and the economy. I took two Public Administration classes, one in human resource mgmt and another in fiscal administration and I really liked them. The only problem is that the people that are getting jobs with this masters degree are not really making much more than what I am making right now, however I would be able to get out of teaching, which I don't mind doing, but my end goal was to end up in some sort of administrative type role in no matter what career that I chose. Another girl that I know ended up in a planning technician role, I did some research and it seems like they don't make a lot of money either, I saw salaries as high as $24/hr, but that's it.

With the masters in education, I know that I could get a job as an assistant principal which would pay more, but my friend says he can get a job in the admin office, but I don't see how since I don't know the qualifications of some of the people there, but it would be nice to work at the district office. The advantages of this program is that I could do it online and the classes would be cheaper, but in the long run, both programs will end up being the same. So now I am wondering, should I do the MPA which I find more interesting or the Masters in Education?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Since you are a teacher, I think you already know what the M. Ed. will do for you.

I went to a graduate school for Public Affairs, though my Masters was not in that.

The end game for you after you get your MPA/MPP is probably either interning at a Political Office or working for a non-profit, making not too much $.

After that, your rise will be predicated on how well you can talk the talk and walk the walk. Non-profits have a LOT of politics. They are brutal, competitive, and female dominated. I have a friend who is going for a doctorate in this field to try and get a leg up.

I know much less about political arena.

Your earning potential if you are able to rise to say a director or manager of a non-profit can be huge. But the median will be much lower. Teacher is lower earning potential, more stability. At least in my eyes.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Since you are a teacher, I think you already know what the M. Ed. will do for you.

I went to a graduate school for Public Affairs, though my Masters was not in that.

The end game for you after you get your MPA/MPP is probably either interning at a Political Office or working for a non-profit, making not too much $.

After that, your rise will be predicated on how well you can talk the talk and walk the walk. Non-profits have a LOT of politics. They are brutal, competitive, and female dominated. I have a friend who is going for a doctorate in this field to try and get a leg up.

I know much less about political arena.

Your earning potential if you are able to rise to say a director or manager of a non-profit can be huge. But the median will be much lower. Teacher is lower earning potential, more stability. At least in my eyes.
Actually, not too much. I have heard some people say that they want to use the M.ED for higher administration at colleges..i guess they mean jobs like registrar and stuff like that? They make 50k here so that's not bad. Other than that, I wouldn't mind working at the admin office downtown for my district. It's just that I need a job where I can sit down because I have medical problems that prevent me from standing too long.

I know what you mean about the politics, and honestly I hope you are wrong. It's why I left my last job in the non profit sector, I can't fight against 4 women and they ran me out there just like they did every director before me. I hate it, but the higher ups wouldn't back me up. Money is a big issue with me and I have seen admins in the district make anywhere form 50-90k...I am now more confused..i just don't want to make a mistake like I did with my undergrad

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Actually, not too much. I have heard some people say that they want to use the M.ED for higher administration at colleges..i guess they mean jobs like registrar and stuff like that? They make 50k here so that's not bad. Other than that, I wouldn't mind working at the admin office downtown for my district. It's just that I need a job where I can sit down because I have medical problems that prevent me from standing too long.

I know what you mean about the politics, and honestly I hope you are wrong. It's why I left my last job in the non profit sector, I can't fight against 4 women and they ran me out there just like they did every director before me. I hate it, but the higher ups wouldn't back me up. Money is a big issue with me and I have seen admins in the district make anywhere form 50-90k...I am now more confused..i just don't want to make a mistake like I did with my undergrad
Well, as far as nonprofits, it depends on the nonprofit. There are countless smaller nonprofits in most large cities where that is not the atmosphere. But they pay little if they are able to keep many full time employees at all. The larger NYC nonprofits where the directors make well over six figures, it's a bloodbath. It's quite ironic that at a firm where the goal is to 'make no money' that it's such a brutal atmosphere.

The admin university jobs are really nice jobs, though you don't need even need a grad degree I think. Handle calls from students, help with advising, tuition, etc, etc. You can see how much they make, because university salaries are public.

Rutgers Public Salaries - Public Salaries Database - CollegiateTimes.com

Easy, low stress job too. I'm just not sure how hard it would be to get. People never leave those positions. The people who were the admins at my grad school are still there several years later.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, as far as nonprofits, it depends on the nonprofit. There are countless smaller nonprofits in most large cities where that is not the atmosphere. But they pay little if they are able to keep many full time employees at all. The larger NYC nonprofits where the directors make well over six figures, it's a bloodbath. It's quite ironic that at a firm where the goal is to 'make no money' that it's such a brutal atmosphere.

The admin university jobs are really nice jobs, though you don't need even need a grad degree I think. Handle calls from students, help with advising, tuition, etc, etc. You can see how much they make, because university salaries are public.

Rutgers Public Salaries - Public Salaries Database - CollegiateTimes.com

Easy, low stress job too. I'm just not sure how hard it would be to get. People never leave those positions. The people who were the admins at my grad school are still there several years later.
I would really like to work for a non profit, but does it matter what I get my masters degree in? I think I remember a girl getting bachelor's degrees in History and English and then she got her Masters and now she is a director at my local university over the career center. I did check their salaries, and she does very well for herself. I was threatened today by a student as a matter of fact and I just want a way out if I need it, like working at a university would be good.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 AM

10 posts, read 12,338 times
There are different jobs, and different kind of specialization for that..

Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM

671 posts, read 1,546,389 times
I have a MPA. It helped me get my current position within a world-class company in their public sector division. My pay is considered very good... much better than $24/hour, at least.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
So much of what or where a person ends up is dependent on so many variables. Consider what can happen by being a community organizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities