Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,712 times

Advertisements

Last weekend a family friend and I went out to lunch and she told me that she had an interest in going back to college. She's 32, only completed a semester at community college when she was younger, has a nice job that she enjoys, but wants more out of life. She told me that she would like to go back to school so she can become a veterinarian. I told her that I thought it was a great idea and that she should go for it. Of course she started expressing concerns that I feel must non-traditional students have. Such as being nervous about in a classroom after many years away, managing everything, and fitting in etc.. I am a traditional student and I will be a sophomore this fall and she kept telling me how lucky I am and that since she never got the full college experience when she was my age she's hoping to get it this time around. She told me that since she would be entering as a "freshman" she wants to experience everything, including living in the dorm, joining clubs, etc.. She said she's worried about not fitting in and not having an active campus life. I'm not sure if its just the excitement/nervousness about going back to school or what, but do most non-traditional students but that big of an emphasis of experiencing the full college life or just taking the classes they need to help them get the careers they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,428,819 times
I think if she really wants to do it, go for it. No better time than now.

Some universities have departments or programs for non-traditional students such as older students, parents, etc which helps in all those concerns. She should look into that. She should also look into joining clubs that interest her. Whether one, few, or several depending on her time availibility, she should join a few to start off with and either drop off some or add more.

I wouldn't live in a dorm though, maybe off campus housing? I was 23 going 24 when I finished my associates at a community college, and I transferred to a University in a college town. I lived off campus student housing which will give the college experience with the roommates, but less freshman and more mix of soph, jr, sr. I think she will fit in better that way.

As far as managing everything, like work and school-hard to know if she can without trying, but if she was decent at managing work and family life before, I'm sure she'll be fine.

I think she can have an active and fun campus/college life as long as she is open to meeting people, doing stuff with room mates, joining clubs, and talking to people in class.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith16 View Post
Last weekend a family friend and I went out to lunch and she told me that she had an interest in going back to college. She's 32, only completed a semester at community college when she was younger, has a nice job that she enjoys, but wants more out of life. She told me that she would like to go back to school so she can become a veterinarian. I told her that I thought it was a great idea and that she should go for it. Of course she started expressing concerns that I feel must non-traditional students have. Such as being nervous about in a classroom after many years away, managing everything, and fitting in etc.. I am a traditional student and I will be a sophomore this fall and she kept telling me how lucky I am and that since she never got the full college experience when she was my age she's hoping to get it this time around. She told me that since she would be entering as a "freshman" she wants to experience everything, including living in the dorm, joining clubs, etc.. She said she's worried about not fitting in and not having an active campus life. I'm not sure if its just the excitement/nervousness about going back to school or what, but do most non-traditional students but that big of an emphasis of experiencing the full college life or just taking the classes they need to help them get the careers they want.
What does she do now with just a HS degree?

Vet will be a long and expensive road and they don't get paid that great. Not bad, but she'll likely have a lot of loans.

As far as someone who is in their 30s 'hanging' with regular aged college kids, I don't think it's going to happen. Why would you want to anyway? I mean, some of the kids will be cool with you, but there will definitely be a disconnect because of your age.

As far as mentioning the dorms, it makes me wonder if this is even a serious post.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith16 View Post
Most older students just want to take the classes, learn something, get the degree. I will be surprised if she is even allowed to live in the dorm - surely they must have some age limits. I think it's really inappropriate for a 30something to live in a dorm with teenagers, and hopefully she will understand that. She will absolutely not fit in in that sense, nor should she. She should focus on her coursework and getting job experience, not drinking and parties, which is what college life tends to be like. She has an opportunity to be older and wiser and make more of the experience, and she should do that, not try to act like someone half her age. Joining clubs is fine, playing sports is fine, but not participating in social life with people so much younger. Her thinking is really skewed - she's planning to do something that she can't do any more than any of us can go back and relive our high school days. Hopefully someone will straighten her out before she tries to do it.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Most older students just want to take the classes, learn something, get the degree. I will be surprised if she is even allowed to live in the dorm - surely they must have some age limits. I think it's really inappropriate for a 30something to live in a dorm with teenagers, and hopefully she will understand that. She will absolutely not fit in in that sense, nor should she. She should focus on her coursework and getting job experience, not drinking and parties, which is what college life tends to be like. She has an opportunity to be older and wiser and make more of the experience, and she should do that, not try to act like someone half her age. Joining clubs is fine, playing sports is fine, but not participating in social life with people so much younger. Her thinking is really skewed - she's planning to do something that she can't do any more than any of us can go back and relive our high school days. Hopefully someone will straighten her out before she tries to do it.
What is inappropriate about a 32 year old adult living in a dorm with an 18 year old adult?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
To me, as a person in my upper thirties who works predominantly with people in their midtwenties, and already has a taste of some of the disconnects that can go on, I can't imagine wanting to live in the dorms with traditionally-aged students in my thirties. I live adjacent to an urban campus right now that isn't strongly residential, and many students there live in off-campus apartments, including the complex in which I currently live. The guys at the bottom of my stairwell are students, and though they're nice guys, I get really, really sick of picking my way around their party debris on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and they're fairly loud. Most of the time, I'm at my boyfriend's, and will be moving in with him shortly, so it's not been worth it to me to make a stink. But, living in the dorms in my thirties, and having that be the status quo? No, thanks. And I loved dorm life. When I was 20.

My college was a small liberal arts college in a small rural community that did not typically attract a large number of nontraditional students. There was a small handful, and I really enjoyed having their perspective in class. But I can't imagine a single one of them choosing to live in the dorms with the 18-22 set.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,937 times
I understand the longing for a "traditional college experience" (because I never had that and I am now a 41 year old student and wish it'd been different) but truth is, you aren't going to get that, at that age, even if you go through all the motions, because of the vast differences between you and other students.

Now, I did know a woman from community college who was transferring to a school several states away, where she knew no one, and planning to live in dorms meant for non-traditional students. She was in her late 50's. Her husband had run off with a younger woman. Her kids were grown/married and she'd never gone to college before and it was what she wanted to do.

It sounded like it was going to be a grand adventure for her but I think the non-trad/"older" student dorm situation was going to make it much better/different for her too.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,056,922 times
Living the dorm life seems odd for a 30-something, but to each their own. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to go back to school at any age, though, regardless of what you intend to study. More power to her in that respect.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,632 times
as many have said, nothing wrong with wanting to go back to school at an older age, that being said the road to vet is long and hard. Is she prepared for college followed by vet school and can she handle the course load?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Most schools won't allow older students to live in the traditional dorms or if they do, it's a special application process and they have to get special permission, usually for students 25 or older. If she attends a school with non-traditional student housing, that would be the best. She could also look into being a staff resident or whatever it's called at that college--an adult that lives in the dorm and supervises the RA's, etc. Usually they are paid staff and she can probably take classes for free or at a reduced rate. Usually housing is paid for though--which would save her a bunch of money!!

Look on the housing page for their policies but there is a very good chance she CAN'T live in the traditional freshman dorm....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities