Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

I'm just finishing up my 2nd year at an excellent community college. I'm not done by any means. I still need another year to finish my associates in Bus Mgmt. Now i've only taken four classes per semester, except for this one when i took only two. Main reason i only take 4 at a time is b/c i work 25-30 hours during the week. I haven't taken summer courses. I'm just asking if spending 3 years in a 2-yr comm college is unusual and will universities look down on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM

61 posts, read 491,164 times
My community college said it was the norm to be there 3 years. It has taken me way longer than that because I keep dropping and going back to work full time. A lot of people that go the community college route have to work, so I think it is quite common.
It shouldn't hurt your chances. You could call the admissions office and ask at the University you are thinking about attending.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM

259 posts, read 789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm just finishing up my 2nd year at an excellent community college. I'm not done by any means. I still need another year to finish my associates in Bus Mgmt. Now i've only taken four classes per semester, except for this one when i took only two. Main reason i only take 4 at a time is b/c i work 25-30 hours during the week. I haven't taken summer courses. I'm just asking if spending 3 years in a 2-yr comm college is unusual and will universities look down on that?

Witch collage do you attend? If you don't mind me asking. And no, I don't think spending 3 years is unusuall or to long. You are working oart time to full time and if it was me I don;t think I could finish in 2 years. I will start this fall at SW Tennesse Com. Collage and I will study full time. I hope to get into some work study programs. I will need all the time in the world to study.

Good luck

Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post
Witch collage do you attend? If you don't mind me asking. And no, I don't think spending 3 years is unusuall or to long. You are working oart time to full time and if it was me I don;t think I could finish in 2 years. I will start this fall at SW Tennesse Com. Collage and I will study full time. I hope to get into some work study programs. I will need all the time in the world to study.

Good luck
With all due respect, if this is an underhanded slam of people who choose to attend community college prior to applying to, or attending, a senior institution, it is in poor taste. If, by chance, you truly are unable to write or express yourself, I would suggest you take advantage of the many developmental courses available to enhance your efforts to be successful in your studies. Many good wishes to you, if this be the case.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
I would say just do what you need to do. First, you don't need to finish your associates before transfering to a 4 year institution. I would contact the insitutition you're interested in and make sure that these extra classes you need will transfer so that you don't spend an extra year in community college but then loose time towards your 4 year. That being said, do what you need to do. Many people choose to spend 1 or more years (some people I know took 5!) at a community college before ever going to a 4 year insitutition. This is not uncommon and will be OK.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:27 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktalley View Post

Good luck
I attend Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria, VA.

It is great to hear that 3 yrs at a CC wont make me odd. I just felt a little discouraged b/c seeing most of my fellow comm college buddies already at 4-yr institutions and me 1 yr away. But thanks for helping me feel better.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:57 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
First of all, something like only 18% of those who attend community college actually graduate in two years (according to community college week dot com) and a lot of CC's now have programs that will take three years to complete. Taking three years is not uncommon and pretty much normal. Now if it was five years, then that would be a different story.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
If you are taking courses at a community college with the intent of transferring to a four year institution, forget about an AA degree.

You should only be taking courses that are directly transferable and fulfill a requirement at the university you plan to attend.

Many courses required for an AA degree in a specific subject only satisfy a requirement for that AA degree and are not transferable.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:55 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think the old rules of 2 years at Community College or 4 years in a regular college are long gone and out of date.

That was in a different economy. There are also more choices now, more things to get into. As long as you graduate and get good grades, it shouldn't matter.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
I would check with a university and see what classes are required for your chosen degree. If you are taking classes you don't need or won't transfer, you are only wasting your time and money! I went straight to a university, but it took me 5 years. I don't know many people who finished everything in 4 years!!!

Also, a tip for working and school. I worked full time and went to school full time (I ranged from 12-19 credit hours). I found it easier to schedule all of my classes on 2 days and work the other 5. So, for example, I would work Sun and Mon, go to classes Tues, work Weds, school Thurs, work Fri and Sat. I found this to be much easier and I could get all my work done with no problem! I would be on campus for 6-10 hours on those days, but it was worth it to me. My first year I went to class 5 days a week in the morning and worked nights. It was awful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities