Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 09:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times

Advertisements

I earned my bachelors degree in 1995. My degree is in Behavioral Science with a minor in Business Management. My plan at the time was to go on to law school and work as an attorney or as a court consultant.

Well, as the old saying goes, Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans (or something like that).

I ended up having a child and never continued on with my education or plans. I worked in the legal field for quite a few years (while in college and after) as a paralegal/legal secretary but then went on to other types of work after having my child. I've been working in unskilled jobs (call center type work) for the past 10 years and I have had it! The only reason I did and am doing this type of work was/is because I never wanted to put my child in day care or with babysitters and this kind of work offers major flexibility so I can be with my child before/after school, on school vacations, etc.

Well, as I said earlier. I've HAD it. I don't know how much longer I can stand this type of mind-numbing, repetitious, boring existence. The problem I am having is this: My degree is 15 years old. I am 48 years old. I'm thinking my degree is pretty worthless at this point. I was thinking of going back to school, but by the time I'm done, I'll be 50+ and who is going to hire a 50+ person unless they're looking to pay low wages thinking I'm a retiree looking for "something to do". I really doubt a 50+ year old person can get hired in any professional setting unless they have years of experience and skills that are in high demand.

Any advice????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I earned my bachelors degree in 1995. My degree is in Behavioral Science with a minor in Business Management. My plan at the time was to go on to law school and work as an attorney or as a court consultant.

Well, as the old saying goes, Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans (or something like that).

I ended up having a child and never continued on with my education or plans. I worked in the legal field for quite a few years (while in college and after) as a paralegal/legal secretary but then went on to other types of work after having my child. I've been working in unskilled jobs (call center type work) for the past 10 years and I have had it! The only reason I did and am doing this type of work was/is because I never wanted to put my child in day care or with babysitters and this kind of work offers major flexibility so I can be with my child before/after school, on school vacations, etc.

Well, as I said earlier. I've HAD it. I don't know how much longer I can stand this type of mind-numbing, repetitious, boring existence. The problem I am having is this: My degree is 15 years old. I am 48 years old. I'm thinking my degree is pretty worthless at this point. I was thinking of going back to school, but by the time I'm done, I'll be 50+ and who is going to hire a 50+ person unless they're looking to pay low wages thinking I'm a retiree looking for "something to do". I really doubt a 50+ year old person can get hired in any professional setting unless they have years of experience and skills that are in high demand.

Any advice????
Well, think about if you DON'T go back to school. In a few years, you'll still be 50-something years old, and you'll have even less of a chance of getting your dream job, because who is going to hire a 50-something year old person with an outdated degree? Either way, the time is going to go by, so as long as it's not going to put you in the poorhouse, go get your degree!

Old 05-29-2010, 07:07 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Well, think about if you DON'T go back to school. In a few years, you'll still be 50-something years old, and you'll have even less of a chance of getting your dream job, because who is going to hire a 50-something year old person with an outdated degree? Either way, the time is going to go by, so as long as it's not going to put you in the poorhouse, go get your degree!
My grandmother used to say "Time passes anyway". You can either have a new degree at 50+ or be 50+ without a new degree.

I'm headed back this summer to start work on a general science certificate. I'm having no luck finding work with my chemistry/physics/math certs as everyone seems to want general science certs not subject matter expert certs. It's going to take me three years but I figure the next three years will pass anyway so I might as well get moving.

I'm already 50. I figure it might not work but I've got nothing to lose.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:34 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,987 times
You never know until you try....you don't want to say, as one of your last set of words, "What if"...and besides, age ain't nothin' but a number--you are only as old as you think you are! Give it a shot!

Old 05-30-2010, 01:26 AM

67 posts, read 179,031 times
Your degree is still fine (employers just want to see it there) and you have a work history. Your real issue is that it sounds like you want to change the field in which you are employed. Why don't you look at post-graduate certificate courses in a field you find more interesting? I have an MBA from a top-10 school but have choosen not to work, at all, for the last 7+ years. I'm ready to return. So, I am looking at post- grad. certificate programs to "freshen" my resume and give me some networking opportunities.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Any advice????
Re-train. Get another suitable degree, or trade. I know of people your age starting new fields. Join the Navy (in Aus you can be 55 and join)

PS: Just don't become a nurse.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:10 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Do not be daunted by your age!
50 is the new 39 - and yes I am aware that 30 was once a nontraditional age for a college student - but it no longer is at all!
There IS age discrimination in the work force but there are certain professions tht actually reward age.
e.g. college instructor, lecturer or professor
Therapist counselor - would you really want to see one who is younger than yourself?
Life Coach - see above.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:36 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
I'll fart in church and advise you to back-engineer your problem, and make a determination as to whether or not the return on investment will be a net positive. 50 is the new 40? Bunk. 50 is 50. Unless you want to die at 66 from working until 65.... Good luck with that. Most employers expect you to be 10-15+ years experience in anything you come into the door for, at the age of 50. By choosing to place a high premium on being at home with the kids versus chucking them in daycare you've pinned yourself into a corner, vocationally. I think that was a poor vocational choice (as there's plenty of walking examples of functional adults whose parents didn't quit demanding careers to raise them, and they turned out alright). But there's nothing you can do about it now. The question is simply an economic one at this point.

Do you have the economic means to re-train at 48 to come out debt free and increase your income to the point where you can make some headway in your perhaps last decade of gainful employment? Because if you're merely going to offset college debt for an extra 10 years of employment where the money delta is not enough for your troubles after you service the college debt, I'd say don't do it.

I'd say your best bet for you is continuing education type deals (like one of the above posters noted) to use as a segway into a better paying position while masking the fact you were unable to gain marketable experience for the previous 20 years of expected employment, while minimizing education cost overun. Good luck in your quest.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:45 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Perhaps you have "farted in church" so to speak.
You sound so foolish. Who was speaking of money and returns etc.? I think the OP wanted an EDUCATION - which may or may not be linked to a job - but so often is.

I will go further in saying that a BA is the new HS diploma and an MA is the new BA

Stick to church farting - you do it so well.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,962 times
what is the point of going back to school and having more debt and then having to work to pay that debt off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities