Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM

22,611 posts, read 47,726,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Have them join the military. No joke. Just go Air Force or Navy if you don't want'm getting blown up.

Otherwise, make sure they go to a C.C the first two years, save bucketloads of money that way.

We don't know the OP's financial situation, so 'making sure they go to a community college' may not apply. It did not in my son's case, as he got a full-tuition scholarship to a private college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Does anyone have two kids in college like we do? How's it going for you? Thankfully, we only have less then two years before they are graduated but it sure has be challenging.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences even it they happened in the past.
I am friends with a family that has a set of quadruplets in college and another one on her way next year. The quads all went for free. Two went on ROTC scholarships and two went to academies.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Been there, done that. The pain will end soon. When it does, the amazing thing is how incredibly rich you feel. "Wow! Money to buy SHOES! Trip to Vegas...!".

Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Been there, done that. The pain will end soon. When it does, the amazing thing is how incredibly rich you feel. "Wow! Money to buy SHOES! Trip to Vegas...!".
Thanks jasper! That's the response I was looking for. We have been dishing out loads of $$ for so long. I'm not sure what it will feel like to have some for myself. It takes closer to 23/24 years to launch a child today. Don't get me wrong, we are very proud of their accomplishments and wouldn't have it any other way.. but I think I'm getting a little selfish right now.

A cruise sounds nice.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:14 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,238,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Girl View Post
Apparently, there's some crazy girl on the web, that goes around in various forums, and suggests that students pay people to do assignments for them, that have no real bearing on their chosen carrier path.
Make sure your kids understand the consequences of getting caught cheating, like how some colleges can revoke a diploma many years after graduation.

Really? How do you know this? Not sure what it has to do with the topic, though.

My wife is a freelance writer and answered an add for a job writing "outlines" for term papers that were to be used "for study purposes only". Right.

We have a son in college and a daughter in private - not parochial school. She will be in college next year.

They are good students and received and will receive merit awards. But hey, unless you are loaded, it's not easy.

They are told to apply to over ten colleges that they could see them selves attending. They then choose - or will chose the college that coughs up the most money.

We also have a PLUS loan.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 AM

563 posts, read 807,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Girl View Post
Apparently, there's some crazy girl on the web, that goes around in various forums, and suggests that students pay people to do assignments for them, that have no real bearing on their chosen carrier path.
Make sure your kids understand the consequences of getting caught cheating, like how some colleges can revoke a diploma many years after graduation.
Where did you hear that?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:03 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,487,762 times
Should your kids pay for college or part of it? Do you have any extended family members (Grandparents, Aunts, etc) offering to help pay for some of their tuition?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
^^We had two in undergrad for one year, and one in grad school + one in undergrad for 3 years. When the younger was a sr in high school, I took a full time job. (Had been working PT for a while.) A few years later, when our financial situation was a little better, I cut back to PT. Our kids worked summers, and some during the school year as well in undergrad. We paid the rest. We did not pay for grad school, but we gave each of them a car plus some money for the first year. One worked; one was in a program that recommended not working.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:25 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
My brother and I overlapped in college by 2 years (though I was abroad for one of them), both going to colleges in a city 1000 miles away from our parents and subsequently staying in the area.

One of the best tactics my parents used was saying they wouldn't pay for school because we had the availability of the HOPE scholarship in Georgia. If we wanted to go elsewhere, we would need to get scholarship money. What they DIDN'T tell me is that my grandfather had stepped up and offered to pay for all of our college after job loss made my parents tap into our college fund (which we also were never told existed). I had no interest in going to UGA or Georgia Tech, nor did I want to go into debt, so I made it my goal starting from freshman year of college to go to a small private New England university on scholarship. And I did end up getting a full tuition scholarship - it was only after that I learned that I wouldn't need to take out loans for books and living expenses. Unfortunately, they also let the cat out of the bag with my brother so he got a lot less money to go to a much lower ranked school.

I was always going to be cost conscientious about the school I went to. My alma mater costs over $50,000 a year, but few people pay sticker price (and those are the people who can really afford it). My parents really did not want my brother and I to start our lives off deep in debt (especially important since I became very seriously ill 6 months after graduation - if I had student loan payments on top of medical bills, I wouldn't have survived), so they did everything they could to prepare on their end and then made sure we did our due diligence by a white lie. I'm very appreciative of that tactic, even if now I know my grandfather would have paid for some of the schools that I rejected because of their lack of scholarship money.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM

2,214 posts, read 3,366,853 times
I'll have two in college this year. My twins will be freshmen. DD chose to attend our local community college and starts in August then will either transfer to a CSU or small private college. My son will be about 200 miles away and starts in September. He left for orientation this morning.

My kids aren't paying for college. I put money into a savings account before they were born and continued adding to it and it eventually became their college fund. It will cover all their college costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities