Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,450,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
To which case I would then know that those parents haven't done as much research as they claim they've done.
I wonder if they've read City-Data posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelle20 View Post
My old boss has a degree in Sociology...she is a banquet manager at a hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
My friend's husband has his Bachelor's in sociology. He works as a departmental manager in a la-di-da food store (like Whole Foods).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Sociology is a wonderful way to starve to death or live on a minimum wage starbucks job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sociology majors:

Future Starbucks, Borders, etc employees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post

Sociology is even worse than philosophy. You don't even have to read books; just go out into the world and talk to people.
If you want to avoid being a part of the Boomerang Generation, I'd advise going to college for a hard skill like health care, engineering, or accounting.

Quote:
Employment options are limited for sociology majors. Outside of academia there is not that much work.

Sociology seems to attract a lot of people that could not think of something else to major in. "Hey, I want to go to college, but have no idea what I want to study because I'm not really interested in much, hey....lets major in sociology".

Some parts of sociology are scientific and are of interest from that point of view. But there are large elements of sociology that actually reject scientific methodologies (i.e., anti-positivists) or only loosely follow them. These parts end up being half-baked philosophy in that they are speculative like philosophy, but do not employ the rigor that is normally seen in philosophy.
Quote:
Humanities and things like Sociology are rather light on requirements and rigor in comparison to many other majors.

The humanities (excluding philosophy) and sociology do not teach critical thinking. Logic is usually not even a requirement....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities