Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 08:43 AM

9 posts, read 10,211 times

Advertisements

I am a structure engineer working in the Chicago area. I'm also a software developer. Lately, I've been working on a series of apps geared toward the FE preparations for students and young engineers. They would also serve as great referencing materials for all the topics that engineering students would learn throughout their college years.

So far, my apps has all the referencing materials needed to pass the FE exam as well as FE style questions and solutions. More than just textbook materials. There is a floating, collapsible calculator on every page that you can move around wherever you want. The materials are concise and to the point with many examples.

Here are some things on my to-do list. Automatic conversion feature in the calculator, interactive collapsible periodic table with all chemical properties in the chemistry sections, interactive collapsible formula references in their appropriate sections, and graphing features.

I'm here to seek your opinion. Beside what I've described, what other features would you like to see in such an app made by an engineer for engineering students?

By the way, here is a screenshot if you're interested.

Added by edit.

I should add that the materials are appropriate and useful for other students as well. For example, if you go into the algebra section, you will find all the algebra materials and examples of all kinds. Would serve as a great referencing material if you are taking college algebra.

Last edited by nowisnow; 07-28-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,440,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowisnow View Post
I'm also a software developer.

By the way, here is a screenshot if you're interested.

No screenshot.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
No screenshot.
Now there is.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:25 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
If you wanted to eventually make $ off it, then several FE/PE tutorial sites have already been created. You should check them out.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you wanted to eventually make $ off it, then several FE/PE tutorial sites have already been created. You should check them out.
Thank you for your reply.

I'm actually aware of those sites.

I'm interested to know what college students would like as features in an app that does more than just a typical FE/PE tutorial. As I said before, the goal of my apps is to give referencing materials and interactive tools for learning. A floating periodic table, for example, with each element showing all properties when you click on it, would be a great referencing material when you are studying chemistry or are reviewing the chemistry examples and problems provided in the app.

These days, you can google and find just about anything on the internet. I'm well aware of that. You would find the periodic table one place, you hold a scientific calculator on one hand, a text book on the other, a laptop in front of you, and typing away on the keyboard searching for referencing materials. You can do all of that on a tablet screen with an app. Fully collapsible/expanding/draggable periodic table, collapsible/expanding/draggable scientific/graphing calculator, etc. You get the idea.

Believe it or not, I'm actually not looking to make money off of it, although if it turns out to be profitable then that would be good. I work full time as a structure engineer. Programming is a hobby. I develop software to make my life easier working in the field. Just thought I'd develop a useful tool for college students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities