Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM

108 posts, read 160,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
IT is very open to people with foreign degrees, particularly since so many computer programmers are not American born. Back in the 1990s when I worked as a computer programmer for New York State, our shop had programmers from Taiwan, Iran, India, Ecuador, Britain, Russia, and various parts of the United States.

JAVA or SQL are the same all over the world. The ideas behind relational databases are the same in any language. The same with engineering principles, economics, and math.

IMO, I wouldn't sweat that part of it. Make sure that you can get your official transcript to an employer here in a timely fashion. Create a good resume which includes what programming languages or software or other skills you have. If you have some experience in the UK, be sure to include that and the email addresses of references.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I'm more into the networking/ infrastructure side of things and all my experience has been with vendors like Cisco or Microsoft which are obviously universal. I'm also fairly good with SQL and RDMS.

Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM

563 posts, read 809,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Since the American education system sucks, your degree is probably better. America after all is from British decent.
That's what I was thinking as well, people stereotypically associate Britain with "high class". Anyways, to the OP, I wouldn't worry, computer science is in high demand here.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,832,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Since the American education system sucks, your degree is probably better. America after all is from British decent.
You mean "descent," right?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,760,351 times
Your recent experience matters more than where you got your degree. Yes, a UK degree is fine. Unless it's from a first tier university (anywhere), it doesn't matter as much as what you did yesterday.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,594,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
Thanks

It just seems ridiculous that an employer could view my degree as lower quality just because I got it from the UK, as if Britain is some third world country that can't be trusted...

They don't view it that way. Worldwide University ranking systems are widely known among those who care, and different countries are viewed differently. In addition, there are independent university rankings which are well known. Take QS rankings for example:

1. MIT (US)
2. University of Cambridge (UK)
3. Harvard (US)
4. UCL (UK)

etc. Not that there's much between the top twenty anyway...

More importantly, there are services in the US that will verify your degree for employers and state what they think it is equivalent to. You can go armed with that piece of paper to an interview if you want, but make sure its a reputable firm that is measuring the equivalency. Such services are used in employment-based immigration for positions requiring proof of higher qualifications etc. to the US Gov.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times
Quote:
I'm American but was raised in the UK, and I plan on moving to the US in 2015.. I just graduated from university a few months ago (in Britain) with a B+ grade average in Computer Science... I was just wondering if employers will look down on it or if it is equal to a degree from an American school?

Thanks
Of course they "count". But some count more than others. Take Oxford, for example. It's hard to beat that.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,510,805 times
Well I know one degree from the UK that won't transfer: Dentistry.

Sorry, I couldn't help it...

Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,382,196 times
Quote:
I'm American but was raised in the UK, and I plan on moving to the US in 2015.. I just graduated from university a few months ago (in Britain) with a B+ grade average in Computer Science... I was just wondering if employers will look down on it or if it is equal to a degree from an American school?

Thanks
Quote:
Computer Science

Would a prospective employer lookup the league tables of British universities and judge your degree based on that? And how would that differ from a similar quality university in the states?

I'd probably try to get a job with the degree, can't think of much else to do with it can you?
I'm guessing you got a 2:1? Employers here won't know what a first or second-class degree from a UK university means, and a lot of people don't put their honors on their resume unless they're really impressive so you can leave that part off. In fact you're better off leaving it off. You could call your degree a BSc or you could 'Americanize' it to a BS. They're the same thing (Bachelor of Science), just different abbreviations.

No prospective employer here is going to research league tables, that's ridiculous. They don't do it for American universities either. Few companies/professions care about where you went to school or what your GPA was. IT doesn't really care, unless possibly you're looking for a high-prestige job at a household name in Silicon Valley like Apple or Google.

Where did you get your degree from, out of curiosity? Some comp sci programs in the UK are better than others...York leaps to mind as one of the top ones.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,762,614 times
the degree with hold up of course, unless you are trying to pursue a graduate degree then the uni may see if the courses are the same as their own program. but if youre just trying to get a job and use the degree by all means use it

Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,886,772 times
Yes unless it is doctor or lawyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities