Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times

Advertisements

These look like good FREE intro starting points from legit universities. There are more advanced classes at these websites once you are done.

If you happen to enjoy one of these, then I can almost promise you it will be like a new world has opened up when you see what other things you can learn:

https://www.coursera.org/course/cs101
https://www.coursera.org/course/programming1
https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,984,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Thanks everyone. I want to get information from the horse's mouth.

So from people who are in the industry what would you suggest for the "new guy" in the field? What can you learn from the internet and what will you learn from a college degree?

What should I start to learn now...online?

If you had to go back and tell yourself what to do differently...what would it be?
stanford offers (or at least used to) all of its lectures from their introductory CS106 courses online. i'm not sure if that's changed since their association with udacity, but it's the best beginner's course i've seen. i would suggest you check that out, and recommend the textbooks they use (a few variations on professor eric robert's "the art and science..." and "programming abstractions..." as well as a karel the robot textbook)

personally i didn't learn anything technical in the field that i hadn't already learned in school, although many people have a different experience if their classes are lacking. most of what i learned in the field was more business related, selling myself, networking, etc

the most important thing to do is get the fundamentals down. this is much, much more important than knowing the latest languages and buzzwords. that's why i like the CS106 courses - they start with karel the robot

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Back when I entered the profession you did not need a comp sci degree; having a degree in anything was great as long as you could prove what you knew; most interviews were little more than a group "pimping" session and if you could run the gauntlet, you were in.

16 years later things have changed somewhat, as a lot of entry-level/low-level work has been farmed out to India or is concentrated in "Calcutta sweatshops" stateside with tons of H1-B contractors from places like Wipro and TCS. A lot of companies demand a comp sci degree or "equivalent experience" nowadays. For people like me it's not a big deal since I have a lot of experience, but if I was just starting out I'd imagine it would be difficult to get my foot in the door.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Back when I entered the profession you did not need a comp sci degree; having a degree in anything was great as long as you could prove what you knew; most interviews were little more than a group "pimping" session and if you could run the gauntlet, you were in.

16 years later things have changed somewhat, as a lot of entry-level/low-level work has been farmed out to India or is concentrated in "Calcutta sweatshops" stateside with tons of H1-B contractors from places like Wipro and TCS. A lot of companies demand a comp sci degree or "equivalent experience" nowadays. For people like me it's not a big deal since I have a lot of experience, but if I was just starting out I'd imagine it would be difficult to get my foot in the door.
back in the tech boom days as long as you knew it, proved it and had some certs you WERE solid. these days you need a BS,MBA,PHD and certs and lot of experience just to land that 50k job it seems.

then again i completely blame that damn HR person who only screens for key words instead of seeing what a potential employee could bring. down with hr reps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities