Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM

13,257 posts, read 33,653,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
Let's be honest, the workload in a community college is not as stressful or as much as a four year university. I know folks who got good grades at the CC level, but dropped once they hit the four year and i wonder why is that?

is the course work at a 4 year so much more even if they are about the same length in time? i'm speaking relatively classes one could find within both places, like english/lit, history or math/psychology.
And after unhelpfully hi-jacking a thread about community colleges myself, I'll post the OP here so we can all get back on track.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:23 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,989,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Tell that to my friend who was denied merit aid due to her family's finances. Tell that to my aunt who spent 30 years working in the financial aid office of a state university. It's a combination of the two. You are more likely to get need based aid without grades though. Merit aid can get nixed if it's determined you don't need it.
There are some scholarships that are based on both merit and need but at a typical private college merit based aid is awarded before a student even applies for financial aid. Typically you apply to a school and when they accept you they may award you a scholarship based on your academic performance. After you are accepted you apply for financial aid. If your EFC (expected family contribution) is lower than the cost of attendance, less any academic scholarships, you may be awarded additional need based financial aid.

We never applied for financial aid but our son was awarded an academic scholarship. There are some academic scholarships that are awarded based on a combination of need/merit but those are usually competitive scholarships that require a separate application. Many colleges (maybe most) award strictly merit based aid when you apply, which is before you apply for financial aid.

I don't think that a typical student will receive merit based aid that makes a private college less than community college. But I do think that in states where state Us are expensive (like Michigan) the difference between private/state U might not be as large as you think

Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Interesting that it's that high given we have little in the way of assets other than retirement accounts.
EFC is driven more by income than assets. There is an asset component but the real driver is income.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
And after unhelpfully hi-jacking a thread about community colleges myself, I'll post the OP here so we can all get back on track.
Honestly, the cost discussion is important even though it got a bit derailed.

For students who will qualify for financial aid it is sometimes better to go directly to a 4 year university. Most universities (state or private) give the best financial aid packages to incoming freshmen. Often transfer students do not get much in the way of financial aid. Students who are planning to live at home for all 4 years might benefit financially by going straight to the state U if they get 4 years of financial aid.

I think that students should consider applying to both the CC and State U to see which winds up costing less over all four years.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:41 PM

9,914 posts, read 11,307,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
EFC is driven more by income than assets. There is an asset component but the real driver is income.
You can have $2M in retirement and still have an EFC of zero. You can also own a $2M home that is paid for and your EFC can still be zero. The financial aid rules are squirly. You can have a high net worth and get 100% financial aid if you have a bad year or two. Meanwhile the guy scraping by at $60K a year will get squat.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,931,544 times
I think for the type of student CCs usually cater to (not particularly high achieving in HS), they offer a good deal. For higher achievers, however, usually four year schools will offer the better deal.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,403,077 times
Our local community college will cost $5000 a year with a full load of classes. I can't imagine any state or private university being cheaper than that. And all the cc in our state guarantee that their classes will transfer over to any state school except certain programs in two of the state Us and they warn you about that ahead of time. Thanks for the interesting viewpoints and tips here.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Our local community college will cost $5000 a year with a full load of classes. I can't imagine any state or private university being cheaper than that. And all the cc in our state guarantee that their classes will transfer over to any state school except certain programs in two of the state Us and they warn you about that ahead of time. Thanks for the interesting viewpoints and tips here.
Here is one (See http://finserve.byu.edu/content/tuit...eneral-fees#t1 ). Brigham Young University's tuition for LDS students is $4850 per year.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,407,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Here is one (See http://finserve.byu.edu/content/tuit...eneral-fees#t1 ). Brigham Young University's tuition for LDS students is $4850 per year.
You didn't include housing or meal plan or books.

Community college - 1 year for my d, tuition & mandatory fees, books (used fall costs x 2) & parking fee - $1,840. If we just include tuition, as you did, it's $1,104 for the year.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
You didn't include housing or meal plan or books.

Community college - 1 year for my d, tuition & mandatory fees, books (used fall costs x 2) & parking fee - $1,840. If we just include tuition, as you did, it's $1,104 for the year.
Well Twins. The only person that can beat those numbers were GG's kids.

But see Tuition & Fees . It's $4987 per year at our local CC. BYU is only a few bucks more.

The college that is impossible to beat is my sons deal. Tuition, books, medical, dental, clothes, etc for - (minus) $12K a year. In other words, he gets about $1000 pay check per month x 12 x 4 years. He goes to a Service Academy. His plan is to go to med school. Again during timeline he gets free tuition, books, medical, dental plus around $3K a month to cover his expenses.

Re: the BYU. Years ago, I showed that BYU tuition rates to my daughter. I explained she just needed to convert to a LDS and get some incredibly inexpensive tuition. I got a pretty strange look. She paid $4K for tuition after scholarships at the UofMN Duluth campus so it was about the same as BYU. But living on campus is what racks up the bills. But we thought it was worth it considering how inexpensive tuition was for our DD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities