Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 AM

290 posts, read 688,712 times

Advertisements

Just trying to find some websites that list actual available scholarships to apply for. So many sites out there seem to have bogus scholarships or services where you have to sign up & receive a bunch of unnecessary e-mails or information before doing anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated..because lord knows I need it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We used Cappex. Their lists were pretty legitimate but you do get a lot of emails. You can opt out of them but it was nice getting notifications of expiring scholarships, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
By far, the largest scholarships are from the colleges themselves. A better strategy is to research colleges that give good merit aid.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Also, be aware of the school's policy for outside scholarships. Many, if not most, schools will just reduce what they have given you if you bring in outside scholarships so, if you are given $10,000 from a school and you get a $5000 outside scholarship, the school reduces their 10K to 5K and you still only have 10K in awards. Some schools will replace loans with these outside scholarships, but you are still in the same spot financially. Just do your research before you spend a lot of time applying.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:26 AM

290 posts, read 688,712 times
Wow.. So you'd have to somehow get more in outside scholarships than what the university itself offers in order to get anything over what they'd offer..? Otherwise anything between that "max" they offer and what your actual tuition is, you either have to just pony up yourself or get loans..?

Man, this is so much harder than when I went..because I'm actually asking for my girlfriend. I went to college in Florida (UF) years ago, but I had the 75% Bright Futures Scholarship which is just granted to you when you end up going to college right out of hs, pending your grades being satisfactory of course..and it was a little easier to pony up 25% of the tuition left over in FL. But now my gf & I live in NYC and she's applying to colleges up here where they're muuuuuch more expensive than FL. She's transferring from a community college, and the universities she's applied to do offer a "transfer scholarship," but it's only for about $10,000/yr, and the tuition is more like $22-25,000/yr. That's so much inbetween to try to pony up, or even have to worry about getting loans for. And to somehow get scholarships for more than $10,000 seems insurmountable as well.

Well thank you all for your input..I do appreciate it.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown native View Post
Wow.. So you'd have to somehow get more in outside scholarships than what the university itself offers in order to get anything over what they'd offer..? Otherwise anything between that "max" they offer and what your actual tuition is, you either have to just pony up yourself or get loans..?

Man, this is so much harder than when I went..because I'm actually asking for my girlfriend. I went to college in Florida (UF) years ago, but I had the 75% Bright Futures Scholarship which is just granted to you when you end up going to college right out of hs, pending your grades being satisfactory of course..and it was a little easier to pony up 25% of the tuition left over in FL. But now my gf & I live in NYC and she's applying to colleges up here where they're muuuuuch more expensive than FL. She's transferring from a community college, and the universities she's applied to do offer a "transfer scholarship," but it's only for about $10,000/yr, and the tuition is more like $22-25,000/yr. That's so much inbetween to try to pony up, or even have to worry about getting loans for. And to somehow get scholarships for more than $10,000 seems insurmountable as well.

Well thank you all for your input..I do appreciate it.
It depends on the school but yes, most schools take outside scholarships to reduce their portion, not your portion. I don't agree with the practice but they didn't ask me . Just another example of how community colleges don't usually save you money too....she probably would have qualified for a lot more merit aid had she started the 4 year school right away and if you only have 10K left to pay, probably would have been free or close to it if she had gone there to start.....just check with the financial aid office at the various schools and see how they deal with those scholarships...and then she has to actually get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities