Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 AM

455 posts, read 1,400,877 times

Advertisements

If you play your cards right your career will take you too international locations. I've been traveling abroad for over 10 years. I see the value in studying abroad but not much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,661,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Does anyone have any experience with study abroad programs? I'm looking at a program that will take me to Xi'an China which will not only help me fulfill my language and "cultural" requirements for my major, but it's also a study program I actually find fascinating. However it is rather pricey and while I can absorb the cost if I don't go crazy with money, it's not an amount I can just throw down lightly. Who has done study abroad before, was it worth the money?

It's worth every penny that you pay. I think all colleges should require it. Much more relevant than calculus. I never use that crap. Now Spanish is another matter.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,732,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Absolutely. Do it.

Of course, if you find yourself in an all-American social clique, you will have wasted the money/opportunity.

I feel like this is important.

On one of my three study abroad experiences, this was a particular issue with a group of American students...they weren't interested in doing much besides hanging out with other American students from the same school, and didn't do much outside of hanging out in the residential quarters with other Americans. I can't really see how their experience was likely any different than it would have been than if they'd stayed on their campus at home.

Like all of college, the experience is what you make of it...some people waste it.

My college offered an extension of my existing scholarships to study abroad. I paid virtually nothing outside of subsidized air fare to do it, each time. It's all in choosing programs wisely.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
How much is the program? Is it for a full semester? Is this something that involves the Terra Cotta Soldiers?

Xi-an, like most of China, has a very low cost of living. I would see if there are some ways you could cut corners, such as providing your own board and perhaps room as well. Food is extremely inexpensive, but we found (while visiting our daughter in China) that prices were sometimes raised for us, specifically in Xi-an.

There is so much variation in study abroad programs and I think it's wrong to say that they are all worth it, or not worth it. My son did a study abroad exchange where he was the only person from his college at a University in England. His college was fairly hands off and he generally lived just like a native student. Our daughters study abroad was in Peru and involved homestays, presentations and excursions all over the country and since it was a Spanish immersion abroad, little English was spoken. For my youngest son, he's planning to go to Dublin where his college has a physical campus but students are immersed in the culture through service projects and classes specifically about Ireland. I think all three had (or will have) value. We are fortunate that the cost was not (or will not be) much more then a regular semester at their college here in the States.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:42 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,022,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
It's worth every penny that you pay. I think all colleges should require it. Much more relevant than calculus. I never use that crap. Now Spanish is another matter.
Colleges should not require that. There are plenty of students trying to make ends meet and studying abroad is out of the question. If they want to make it a requirement they better have some good scholarships.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM

43,868 posts, read 44,636,592 times
Xi'an is the closest city to the famous Terra Cotta Warriors. So I would venture to say it is a great place to do a study overseas program.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,858,458 times
The cost will be in the ballpark of $6000-$7000 (final price TBD) for the summer semester, that includes everything from food, to transportation to room and board at the Shaanxi Normal University. We would be paired up with a Chinese roommate and the program includes a two week "field study" of China's portion of the Silk Road, the aspect of the program I find most appealing. And of course a block of instruction(no idea how long) will be dedicated to Xi'an most famous residents, the terracotta warriors.
Is that price range typical of study abroad programs?

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,603,333 times
How many credits will you get? I think the price sounds reasonable but I would make sure you can't do a SA through your school at a lower price.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:56 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,596,323 times
I've seen some courses charge $1,000/week ( or $4,000 for 4 week summer program). I opted to just fly on out, and enroll in a school and schmooze with the locals. I got some p/t work as well. Yup, still one of the best experiences in my life ever.
Anyone want to share an experience feel free to PM me. I am actually collecting data versus reading biased school write-ups.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:39 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,486,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I feel like this is important.

On one of my three study abroad experiences, this was a particular issue with a group of American students...they weren't interested in doing much besides hanging out with other American students from the same school, and didn't do much outside of hanging out in the residential quarters with other Americans. I can't really see how their experience was likely any different than it would have been than if they'd stayed on their campus at home.

Like all of college, the experience is what you make of it...some people waste it.

My college offered an extension of my existing scholarships to study abroad. I paid virtually nothing outside of subsidized air fare to do it, each time. It's all in choosing programs wisely.
My undergrad was done in Scotland, at a uni popular with both full time and study abroad Americans. (St Andrews) The study abroad Americans, with sad regularity, immediate just went out with their fellows from their home university. As they were on a pass-fail basis, they got drunk 2-3 nights a week and frequently travelled. I am a huge proponent of travel for any reason, but there is a time to work/learn and a time to play. More than a few who go abroad don't seem to even partially appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities