Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 05:50 PM

6 posts, read 25,996 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I recently graduated with an A.A. from a community college and am transferring to Bay Path College in Massachusetts. (I will be attending their one-day-a-week Saturday program, which is regionally accredited.) I have extensive administrative experience (it's kind of taking me forever to finish my Bachelors degree), with my most recent experience being in the medical field (low-level management; front office manager). I am trying to decide between a B.S. in Business Administration or a B.S. in Business Administration in Health Care Operations Management.

I would ultimately like to work as a healthcare administrator. I have been working at a low level in this capacity and enjoy it. However, I have heard of people having difficulty getting jobs in healthcare administration without an R.N. or similar title after their name.

I am looking for input... a possibility for me would be simultaneously obtaining a certificate and *specific* experience in medical assisting or medical coding and billing. (I have some experience in both areas.)

Any input, experiences, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 PM

13,186 posts, read 12,369,564 times
Personally I think that you will have more options with a B.S in Health Administration depending on what area that you want to go in.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:23 PM

156 posts, read 448,913 times
Hello. Former BusAd major currently working in healthcare administration.

I say the ideal course is the general BusAd major complemented with some practical experience in healthcare. I say this for two reasons:
1) Healthcare is huge on starting from the bottom. Both majors, unless this is some fantastic healthcare admin program, will likely result in you winding up in the same position.
2) The business of healthcare is easy enough to learn on your own. Every healthcare administrator you meet will say, "Oh, but healthcare is like totally different." But it's not: we find a need (unhealthy people wanting to be healthy) and fill it (provide treatment). I think you'd be better taking some marketing and accounting courses than "The US Healthcare System" when you could check out a few books from the library and learn it yourself just as easily.

Bonus reasons:
3) The BusAd major will help you see how far behind healthcare is compared to other industries and help you refuse to settle. (Seriously, I've worked for two major medical centers that are considered at least average in technology use and they both love paper.)
4) A lot of healthcare has an academic bent, so they love superfluous degrees. You'll be getting your MHA soon enough.

If anything, I'd recommend getting a certificate in medical coding (one that prepares you for the CPC). A lot of administrators I meet have that background, since it's so helpful in understanding the revenue cycle.

Please feel free to PM with any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities