Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,434,309 times

Advertisements

Well, my biggest problem right now is in my A&P class and after the lecture portion last Thursday I talked to the teacher about it. I let him know that I would try my best to complete his class, but due to several variables, I may not be able to.

I let him know about my medical problems that could be causing this or that and that I would be seeing my drs to get their takes on the matter. I have seen one of them and she pointed out that it may be my 'fibro fog.' I hadn't even thought of that, but I think she is right. I will see my Neuro next month. I let him know of the group in general that talks the whole time during lab and how I had a bit of a problem last week because of it.

Last Thursday I ended up sitting at a lab table during the beginning part of lab instead of with the class and I was able to hear him much better. He did mention to me that many of the students weren't there and he thought that some more would probably be weeded out as well after the first one or two tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,790,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, my biggest problem right now is in my A&P class and after the lecture portion last Thursday I talked to the teacher about it. I let him know that I would try my best to complete his class, but due to several variables, I may not be able to.

I let him know about my medical problems that could be causing this or that and that I would be seeing my drs to get their takes on the matter. I have seen one of them and she pointed out that it may be my 'fibro fog.' I hadn't even thought of that, but I think she is right. I will see my Neuro next month. I let him know of the group in general that talks the whole time during lab and how I had a bit of a problem last week because of it.

Last Thursday I ended up sitting at a lab table during the beginning part of lab instead of with the class and I was able to hear him much better. He did mention to me that many of the students weren't there and he thought that some more would probably be weeded out as well after the first one or two tests.
Do you have testing accommodations for your medical condition?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Do you have testing accommodations for your medical condition?
No, I do not.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,790,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
No, I do not.
Consider asking for them. I've had students with brain injuries/short term memory loss and taking tests in a less distracting environment has helped them.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 AM

37,817 posts, read 41,123,733 times
My experience with them was in the workforce after they graduated. Instead of being results oriented they are process oriented. For example, it's more important to them that they did things as a team, the team makeup, and how the team functioned versus the quality of their results. They expect that to be a big factor in any award or evaluation or praise even if what they pumped out was mundane or irrelevant.

I wouldn't be surprised if they think the best thing they did on the project was letting you lead.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 AM

826 posts, read 1,132,727 times
I'd be curious how many of these younger students that the OP is talking about are first semester freshmen. For a lot of kids the first semester is a major adjustment process. For most its the first taste of freedom, where they have pretty much complete control over their day to day lives. It took me probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the first semester to get my priorities straight, manage my time properly and figure what study techniques worked for me etc. I had something like a 2.6 GPA my first semester, the next semester I made the Dean's list.

Some kids figure it out quickly, others it takes a good bit of the first semester if not the first year, and of course some never figure it out and wash out completely.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My experience with them was in the workforce after they graduated. Instead of being results oriented they are process oriented. For example, it's more important to them that they did things as a team, the team makeup, and how the team functioned versus the quality of their results. They expect that to be a big factor in any award or evaluation or praise even if what they pumped out was mundane or irrelevant.

I wouldn't be surprised if they think the best thing they did on the project was letting you lead.
You have a good point. Realistically, I could not have seen them as leaders, and whenever I gave them the opportunity to go towards leading, they did not do it.

It turned out ok all in all. The one girl who barely spoke sits right next to me. We had to do peer review on our papers, in groups of three, and her paper was pretty bad. It had the quality of maybe 6th grade or so.

I was trying to explain to her about how all of her paragraphs were the same. She had sentences scattered all over the place that just really needed to be organized. The teacher tried to explain to her and she was just blank. I could see his frustration.

I went back to the basics with her and taught her about mapping, and the teacher left our group at that point...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmike View Post
I'd be curious how many of these younger students that the OP is talking about are first semester freshmen. For a lot of kids the first semester is a major adjustment process. For most its the first taste of freedom, where they have pretty much complete control over their day to day lives. It took me probably 1/2 to 2/3 of the first semester to get my priorities straight, manage my time properly and figure what study techniques worked for me etc. I had something like a 2.6 GPA my first semester, the next semester I made the Dean's list.

Some kids figure it out quickly, others it takes a good bit of the first semester if not the first year, and of course some never figure it out and wash out completely.
I would say they are most all first semester, if not second. Some may be second year, but I doubt it.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,540,773 times
Is this CC? 300th ranked school? 50th ranked school?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Is this CC? 300th ranked school? 50th ranked school?
Yes, it is cc, I have no idea what it is ranked. In my opinion, there should be no difference in the behaviors while I understand some people just don't care.

I also feel the same respect should be given, but of course I understand that isn't going to happen either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities