Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 01:01 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,879,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't think the majority of foreign students have any intention of staying here, especially the ones being bank rolled by their governments; the return trip is the expectation. The lack of US job opportunities is not a significant factor. I have spoken to many Asian and Middle eastern students and remaining in the US is not on their radar screen.
I had an interesting candid conversation on this topic with a professor of EE at MIT. He told me that 20 years ago, 9 out of 10 of his foreign PhD students stayed in the USA to seek their fortune. Nowadays, 9 out of 10 of his foreign PhD students return to their homeland (typically China, India, and other Asian countries) to seek their fortune.

"A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Universities are actively promoting thmselves by organising admission fairs in countries like India, China and roping up education agents/consultants in foreign countries but number of International Students is declining. One reason is that lack of job opportunities in US for foreign students after finishing their American degree.
There are various post bac research fields where it is hard to find qualified American students.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,530,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Declining enrollment :

Dropping enrollment squeezes universities' revenues: Moody's

The U.S. Census reported college enrollment declined for the first time in six years in 2012. That threatens higher education revenue, said Moody's.

"A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
This is only because of limited space due to budget cuts. Many schools have had to make cuts in in-state enrollment b/c there are fewer instructors and courses, though they try to maximize enrollment to the greatest extent possible given the budget constraints. All good-excellent schools still have massive waiting lists and denials. Out-of-state and international students pay higher tuition, thus more of those are admitted than in the past. At least in my state. Qualified 4.0 students are even turned away from our state university b/c of limited seats in-state, and there has recently been a massive push by Microsoft and other local companies to open up more seats for qualified in-state applicants (THOUSANDS are turned away every year). Our public university has agreed to do this as long as state fundingv(the budget) is increased. Catch 22, though everyone desires more in-state STEM graduates and job applicants. Money rules the world, doesn't it.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I had an interesting candid conversation on this topic with a professor of EE at MIT. He told me that 20 years ago, 9 out of 10 of his foreign PhD students stayed in the USA to seek their fortune. Nowadays, 9 out of 10 of his foreign PhD students return to their homeland (typically China, India, and other Asian countries) to seek their fortune.

Sad, frightening. Massive brain drain, no innovation = declining economy and vulnerable middle class.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
That may be; I can't comment on the accuracy of your statement. Regardless, the demographic info is quite clear. Quality universities with active recruiting programs should be able to weather the storm.
Hemlock made an accurate statement about the University of Washington in Seattle. It's discussed in our local news/npr every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities