Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,986,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
CUNY Graduate Center is probably stronger than SUNY Buffalo or Stony Brook in terms of Ph.D. programs, coming out higher in the QS rankings of universities example. Binghamton I believe is the hardest SUNY to get into but it's not as much of a research university as Buffalo or Stony Brook.
depends on the program, in my field (CS) stony brook is better; i even had CUNY professors recommend it over CUNY while i was applying to PhD programs

but for other fields you are 100% correct, for instance the english program is extremely well regarded and competitive

i just feel overall, it can't compete with the best SUNYies, not that it's bad

i also think the strange setup hurts the programs. profs basically save their attention for the grad center, which harms the masters and ugrad programs. meanwhile there are so few PhD students that the number of classes the grad center can realistically offer is small. plus talented masters and ugrads who could handle good classes with PhD students are excluded. at least IME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Florida has an excellent system of public universities. There are four public universities in the top 100 public universities in the US with two in the top 50. My only beef with the FL state U system is that the state Us are very very large (except New College-which is overated).
Not sure I'd call it excellent. It is a very good value. UF is 14th and FSU is in 30's I think. UF and FSU just got a big funding boost. UF so it can reach top 10 and FSU for top 25. With the lack of state funding the other schools will have a hard time improving.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
I'd put VA at #2. They have three schools in the Top 25 and the first two are ranked very high. NY at #3.

#1 is CA by a very wide margin.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,281,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
for me, Cali is the best by a large margin

no one's mentioned Illinois and Washington. at least in my field they are strong contenders. otherwise agreed with the general consensus
While the University of Illinois and the University of Washington are both fantastic schools, their carrying the flags in their respective states in front a number of average public universities.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
New York and Ohio both have excellent state universities. Not one but many. In many states there is one very good or better state college. In NY and Ohio there are many and locals disagree about which is best.

Ohio - OSU for a top rated college with a typical state school Big Ten experience.
Miami University for a public Ivy experience. And many other good ones.

New York - SUNY Albany Binghamton Geneseo and Stony Brook (top 1% in the world) For arts there is SUNY Purchase. I don't know of a "bad" SUNY school. Not many states can say that.

Florida is worthy of mention also. From sports and frat oriented FSU to progressive New College and many in between the Sun Shine State has much to offer educationally.

Last edited by sheena12; 09-14-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,735,374 times
U of Wisconsin at Madison - an outstanding school.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Not sure I'd call it excellent. It is a very good value. UF is 14th and FSU is in 30's I think. UF and FSU just got a big funding boost. UF so it can reach top 10 and FSU for top 25. With the lack of state funding the other schools will have a hard time improving.
How many other states have four state Us in the top 100? I haven't counted.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 AM

45,453 posts, read 60,666,498 times
The problem with threads like this is they turn into a homer discussion.

As Katiana and toobusytoday mentioned, PA has an extensive system of public colleges (I know they're called universities but that's my own personal brain fart), from one of which I graduated. Sent oldest daughter to one of them because nothing in MD was suitable (and, even as an OOS it was 1/2 the cost of a public in MD for in-state).

States with a small population aren't going to have a lot of colleges in any case, not enough clientele. Others, like MD, have so many top privates near them that the state doesn't want to compete. Or, as in MD, the tuition for the publics is almost as much as for the privates.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:59 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,629,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
from my understanding florida has some really good programs for funding in-state university educations...lots of good scholarships for good students attending FL public universities. that could have something to do with it

Miami (oh) and Ohio have "stellar reputations"???

Miami of Ohio has a reutation as a party school (right behind Ohio University).

Old 09-15-2013, 12:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,030 times
I might be partial, but Virginia has much more to offer than just UVA and the College of William and Mary. You seem to be forgetting that Virginia Tech is a great college, especially for the STEM groupings. My alma matter, James Madison University has a great business program and is ranked yearly by newsweek as one of its top 50 undergraduate business programs (I am always irritated that we are called Just Missed UVA due to the fact that I got accepted to UVA, W&M, VT, and JMU and chose the school that gave me the best scholarship and one that I saw myself fitting into for four years). George Mason University and Virginia Commonwealth University also have their strengths (GMU for its strong commitment to diversity and a liberal arts education) and VCU for its arts program. Old Dominion University is also a strong state school and Christopher Newport University is definitely up and coming. Virginia does have a pretty good public college system for a state of its size and means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities