Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,150,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
OP, what have you decided to do, if anything, in the 3 months since you posted the original message?
Maybe he bucked up with big plans to go to law school. I can't believe someone offered that one up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Nobody duped you. It's your life. YOU are responsible for doing research on programs, post graduation employment, etc. The school said it would provide xyz classes leading to xyz degree and charge you xyz dollars. They didn't offer or promise you anything else. The school held up its end.

Don't get into the habit of blaming other people for YOUR actions and mistakes.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:45 PM

27,620 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Don't get into the habit of blaming other people for YOUR actions and mistakes.
If only a few people are getting duped, then that is their problem to deal with.

If millions of people are getting duped for years and years thereby making a small elite very rich, then that is much more sinister.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If you are stupider now then you were when you first went to college, you have been duped.
If those around have gotten stupider, your education is working.
That about sums it up

Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,253,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcasting View Post
Frankly, I could get the same education I'm getting here through the library, the internet, and simply being alive in the world -- all of which is free.
Yes, you could. And then what would you do with that education? Go ahead and teach yourself real analysis, then try to get a job. Without some sort of credential, no one is going to give a hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Drop out and go to a trade school to learn, for example, underwater welding. You will earn an incredible amount of money and see the world.

"A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
I am a former welder....the life expectancy for an underwater welder is relatively short. Sure, you can make $300/hour, but the stress, nature of the job, and environment really do a number on your body and mind. It can also be extremely dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
how much do you think it would cost you to just live for 4 years? $30k is nothing! i'd gladly go into debt by only that much to not have to work for four years....
This is how I look at it. It was worth it for me.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If only a few people are getting duped, then that is their problem to deal with.

If millions of people are getting duped for years and years thereby making a small elite very rich, then that is much more sinister.
Millions are NOT being duped. Millions of people are making personal choices to go to college or to not go to college.

If you look at the statistics, only a small part of the entire US population (less than 25%) even had any college degree. That means the over 75% of the US decided to not go to college.

People aren't being duped. They are making choices.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:32 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,736,876 times
I thank my lucky stars I went to a small liberal arts college, albeit it was in Colorado and not that well known when I attended (but is now). I learned how to think critically; I learned how to write; I went from being a C student in high school to a Dean's List student. I didn't have to abandon being a jock, either.

I also majored in history, which is where I acquired my critical thinking and writing skills. In grad school, I dropped history for environmental and natural resources economics and never looked back, but am still an avid reader of history. You might think about dividing your time between history and economics - both can pay big dividends throughout your life.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:06 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you look at the statistics, only a small part of the entire US population (less than 25%) even had any college degree.
The number's closer to 30% now. With that said, the extra 5% means that EVERYONE has a degree. They're WORTHLESS now!

Old 12-26-2013, 06:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
30K worth of debt - does not seem terrible for 4 years of college. Most state Univ here are $12-15K per year. 4 years = $48K minimum.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The number's closer to 30% now. With that said, the extra 5% means that EVERYONE has a degree. They're WORTHLESS now!
Try running numbers of people between 20-50 and that number is closer to 40%...the over 60 crowd doesn't have as high of numbers, and are irrelevant since they are mostly retired, but they are a large portion of the US population. 65% of 24-30 year olds have a college degree (at least 2 year degree) and since that is a national average, there are many places in the US where 70+% have degrees. I know in our area, most of the high school send 90+% of their kids off to college. Not everyone finishes but very high percentages do, usually over 80-85% or better. The trend is to have a college degree and since recent college grads are competing with the under 30 crowd-the overall % is really irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities