Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times

Advertisements

Add development / fundraising to this, a lot of it is about communication
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM

350 posts, read 710,702 times
Take a look inside the classrooms of English majors. What (who) do you see? Not a lot of guys.

If you're a female, you can find any satisfying job that doesn't make a lot of money but is enjoyable, fun, and fulfilling. Eventually, you'll find a guy with a practical degree. You'll get married and have kids and stay at home with the kids.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
Take a look inside the classrooms of English majors. What (who) do you see? Not a lot of guys.

If you're a female, you can find any satisfying job that doesn't make a lot of money but is enjoyable, fun, and fulfilling. Eventually, you'll find a guy with a practical degree. You'll get married and have kids and stay at home with the kids.
Man, I earned my degree in English and earn about as much as my wife, a VP of finance, working for myself.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Quote:

Hah, both my fiance and I are English majors. I guess we'll both just stay home with our nonexistent kids.

Good one, though!

Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,569,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I'm majoring in English and plan on getting my Bachelors soon. I was wondering what type of things I can do with it besides teach. Im not even taking the right classes to be a teacher. I know it's not as practical as say an engineering degree. My math skills are too weak to major in something that involves a lot of math. I am not too worried about my job prospects. I feel like if im persistsnt enough I will find something decent that I will also enjoy. my goal is not to be rich but i dont want to be barely making either. I don't want to hear "work at McDonalds." I would like to hear from posters that either have an English degree or know someone that does and what was done with it. Thanks!
And back to the actual subject ^^^^^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:32 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,634,250 times
Quote:

I'm a guy and there are plenty of other guys in my English classes.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,634,250 times
anyone else?

Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,414,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
"What can you do with an English degree besides teach?"

A degree in English gives you a nice rounded education but doesn't exactly open up doors of opportunity as do more specialized degrees. As a former newspaper editor-publisher I hired a few reporters with English degrees over the years. The last English major I hired had a masters, iirc, or maybe it was a double major in psychology and English. She was hired as a typesetter earning slightly more than minimum wage and at that was probably overpaid.

What an English degree should have done is taught you how to reason, organize your thoughts and communicate well. From there it's up to you to sell yourself for the job you want and then to use what you've learned to succeed in the job and to grow into the next one. People often scoff at English degrees, but if you use what you should have learned, it can take you far.

Just as an example, when I was a high school sports jock, the young sports editor for the local weekly had an English degree. A few years later I worked for that same newspaper, and he had become managing editor. A few years after that he bought a newspaper, and when he took a temporary job as the governor's press secretary I "replaced" him at his newspaper. He went on to become publisher of one of the larger newspaper organizations in the country, then manager of a large chain of radio stations, and as of a few years ago was CEO of a major banking company. That "degree" didn't land him any of those jobs, but his formal education and his drive to continue learning took him through an interesting and very successful career.
How is the newspaper business in the days of electronic media, free media, and citizen journalists?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:54 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,778,570 times
People I know with English degrees would get writer/editor positions in government, however, usually the jobs are not entry-level (just out of college).

Marketing is another area that seems to draw people with degrees in English studies. I also knew a few such majors who worked in sales.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,662,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
How is the newspaper business in the days of electronic media, free media, and citizen journalists?
Depends. The paper I used to write for is still afloat, I just moved back into education, or I'd likely still be the editor there. The paper my brother writes for is doing well, as is the one my brother-in-law writes for. A lot depends on your niche and market. Also, whether you are writing for a print newspaper or online media, writing's still writing. Most of the journalists I personally know do both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities