Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,877,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Morehouse, Spelman, Howard, and Fisk are all prestigious schools that give their students a superior education. Not all traditionally white schools that are considered top notch are well known either. For instance, how many have ever heard of Williams? It's the same deal. Enough people chose Williams over Harvard to keep the school thriving, despite fishing in the same gene pool.

Two kinds of HBSU's. The ones above are private colleges that appeal to middle class and upper middle class black families. They offer quality education and have before and after segregation. They are the elite, but their admission standards are not oppressive like say Duke, Georgetown or Amherst. More like an above average liberal arts college. The students at the top of their classes often turned down elite colleges to experience education in a HBSU setting and are among the most talented students in the country, but those in the middle or bottom are your typical slightly above average liberal arts college students.

The other kind is usually starving for resources, cater to remedial education, and has mostly a poor student body. Many of these were started as basically shams so states could claim that the public university system for blacks were equal, thus they could bar them from the white colleges. Some ended up as pretty good schools like Florida A&M. Many are among the worst public universities in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM

12,114 posts, read 23,375,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wrightt View Post
If by prestigious you mean a good education, strengthening environment, and uplifting atmosphere, then yes HBCUs are prestigious. If you are comparing the reputation of an HBCU with that of an ivy, then no I wouldn't say they are. BUT, we live in America, a nation founded on white supremacy with a strong history and presence of discrimination. So, even though HBCUs offer a stellar education, can you really expect them to be justifiably recognized as competitive institutions in comparison to the "first-borns" of this nation? Reputation does not always equal reality. Simultaneously, it is important to recognize that HBCUs have a record of producing very many Black professionals and corporate workers, preparedly. And at the end of the day, the results of education are dependent on the student, you get what you give. Also, every person that works in corporate America, has a good job or makes a lot of money, did not come from an ivy. Please don't forget that. Ivy League reputation only goes so far, at some point the student has to fend for his or her self. And both an HBCU and an Ivy are equipped to prepare that student for the task. It really depends on the type of environment the student is looking for.
I hope you are not trying to imply that all HBCUs offer a "stellar education."

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,593,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
There are HBCUs that have some cache, like Morehouse, etc. But even the best ones can't compete with places like Harvard or Stanford and such when it comes to prestige.
Are you serious?? These joke schools (most of them) with low quality students can't even compete with regular state universities, and I am not even talking about flagship state universities.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:53 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,831,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Are you serious?? These joke schools (most of them) with low quality students can't even compete with regular state universities, and I am not even talking about flagship state universities.
Did you mean to quote me? I didn't say anything that contradicts your opinion. I said SOME have a bit of prestige, but even those that have it do not have Harvard-type prestige.

That has nothing to do with the quality of students at MOST HBCUs.

In any case, some HBCUs are fine.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,593,255 times
Quote:
Did you mean to quote me? I didn't say anything that contradicts your opinion. I said SOME have a bit of prestige, but even those that have it do not have Harvard-type prestige.

That has nothing to do with the quality of students at MOST HBCUs.

In any case, some HBCUs are fine.
Compare the quality of students at the TOP HBCUs (Howard, Morehouse, etc.) to the University of Maryland, University of Georgia, University of Florida, etc. and you will see that the state schools are WAY superior. Why is Harvard even dragged into this conversation?

Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Compare the quality of students at the TOP HBCUs (Howard, Morehouse, etc.) to the University of Maryland, University of Georgia, University of Florida, etc. and you will see that the state schools are WAY superior. Why is Harvard even dragged into this conversation?
Once again, you are arguing things I didn't say and are not even close to making a dent in the point I was making.

Original Poster: What color is the sky?
Me: The sky is blue.
You: BLUE! Blue is an awful color, can't you see how much better red is? The facts are indisputable.
Me: I just said the sky was the color blue. What does all that have to do with red being better? It's still blue.
You: MY GOD WOMAN RED IS BETTER! Can't you see the facts? And why did you bring color into this anyway!

SMH. LOL

Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM

877 posts, read 1,320,094 times
I think depending on what your major is and what field you intend on going into and where you plan on living after graduation, they can be a great choice if they fit right.

Harvard isn't right for everyone (curriculum wise, culturally and environment wise) and Howard isn't for everyone (same reasons).

HBCU's offer great networking and may offer a level of support that may help you succeed academically as a black man/woman

Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,301,877 times
Let's compare Morehouse and Yale:

25/75 percentile SAT scores

Morehouse: 450/570 reading, 460/570 math

Yale: 700/790 reading, 700/800 math

So you think that they are about the same?

Spelman: 480/570 reading, 465/560 math

Howard: 490/590 reading, 480/590 math

Columbia: 690/780 reading, 700/790 math . . .

Who is kidding whom?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post

So you think that they are about the same?
Who said they were the same?

Pretty much everyone in this thread said they are not as prestigious as Ivys.

I don't know what the argument is anymore. This thread has gotten weird.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,301,877 times
Quote:
Who said they were the same?
You are familiar with the concept of "Rhetorical Question," I trust.

Quote:
This thread has gotten weird.
Yes, it really has, and here is a prime example of exactly how:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wrightt View Post
BUT, we live in America, a nation founded on white supremacy with a strong history and presence of discrimination. So, even though HBCUs offer a stellar education, can you really expect them to be justifiably recognized as competitive institutions in comparison to the "first-borns" of this nation? Reputation does not always equal reality.
Maybe the SAT scores posted above indeed address the question of reality, which Agent-14 seems to think is out of alignment with perception . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities