Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times

Advertisements

I would like your opinion of this debate, without any nonsense.

I know some community colleges can be cheaper but at the same time they make you take these silly developmental classes which are at high school level, or maybe middle school level. If you took those classes while in high school, why do you gotta take them again in CC? Now, they make you fork over money for those. And, what's the difference between high school and community college Biology?

At least with schools like University of Phoenix, they probably cut through all the developmental course junk and jump straight to the training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
In high school, you study under a science teacher with a biology textbook. In college, you study under a biologist with a PhD and many years of dedication to the field. The level of learning is much higher in college. You'll learn from the professor's work, as well as 1 or 2 textbooks and several relevant academic papers. You'll learn to approach the subject with critical thinking.

Developmental courses like algebra, pre-english, etc. can be tested out of at most schools. If you have a decent SAT score, that's all you need at many schools.

UoP, you don't interact with the professors in person. You lose out on tacit knowledge.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,709 times
i did poorly in hs and went to community college. when i was 18-20 i didnt care and failed. i later went back and did well and i enjoyed my time. Honestly a REAL degree aka not itt tech is worth more than tech schools,unless you go for say air conditioning or plumbing,etc.

most folks who hire look down to itt tech and phonenix online vs a real AS/BS from a community college and a 4 year. id say suck it up and go do a community college then transfer. you can thank me in 4 years.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,709 times
you will place in developmental math and english if you did poorly in hs. i know i did. but thanks to them i learned so well that i went from hating algebra to loving calculus. statistics? i hate it since i personally dont feel its real math. just suck it up and if you place in a developmental tehn take initiative and get yourself out of it or take it.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I would like your opinion of this debate, without any nonsense.

I know some community colleges can be cheaper but at the same time they make you take these silly developmental classes which are at high school level, or maybe middle school level. If you took those classes while in high school, why do you gotta take them again in CC? Now, they make you fork over money for those. And, what's the difference between high school and community college Biology?

At least with schools like University of Phoenix, they probably cut through all the developmental course junk and jump straight to the training.

If those are the options, the grades and score must not be good. Just a guess.

Community colleges turn off more marginal students than they "turn on". The huge amount of remedial courses have a lot to do with that. If the student hated that in HS, why would they like it in college?

No to university of Phoenix and any expensive for profit college. Just say no. Same with ITT. NO.

A community college can be cheaper - if you get out of one on 2-2 1/2 years. Any longer and no. It's defeating and tiresome. Students like this drop out.

Suggestion. Find a small, private liberal arts college that is less selective. Less selective colleges take almost everyone. After two years, the student can transfer into a better college. Or they can graduate from a regionally accredited four year college and continue with grad school or employment.

That's the best choice I can think of. The colleges may not be Ivy League, but they will get you a BA/S.

Last edited by SoulJourn; 09-25-2013 at 03:25 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
See if you can test out of the development classes. Even if you have to take a few, it will still be cheaper than UoP and it will help you build a solid foundation for your course work.

Agree with the above, just say "no" to UoP, ITT, etc. A lot of employers don't take them seriously; you are starting out at a disadvantage after spending a whole lot (an I mean a whole lot) of money. If you feel you need to pursue on-line education, there are plenty of not for profit colleges and universities that have on-line offerings at a more reasonable price and without the attached stigma.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Yes, but the training you get will not be from a regionally accredited school and will most likely not get you a job.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,347 times
I checked the tuition differences. UofP is $395 per credit hour. My local community college is $1,920 per semester for 15 credit hours. A typical associates degree is 60 hours, so it would be $23,700 at UofP and $7,680 at the local community college. Even if you take a whole year of development classes, the cost is less than half. But that's not even the most significant benefit. Our local community college has guaranteed course equivalence / acceptance at all our our state universities. Additionally, our local state university has guaranteed transfer acceptance for any student who completes an associates degree at the local community college. An accredited 4 year university is almost certainly not going to accept most courses from one of the for profit schools.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
^^^ Transfer acceptance is huge if you want to continue your studies after CC.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 AM

315 posts, read 563,836 times
OP, at my CC you only need to take those classes if you don't pass the examination for them or if you test out with SAT scores. I assume it's the same type of process at your local one. I got tested out of the English one automatically due to my SAT scores and the first math classes I had to take were remedial. I was pissed that I had to take them at first but I thank my lucky stars I did! I went from having trouble with math through all my years in high school to get B's in my college algebra and trig classes. I am now in my last math class and set to graduate this spring. I never thought I'd get B's in math, especially in college!

HS Biology is cake compared to the Biology classes (and now zoology classes) I've taken now! Trust me, they're not so easy. I thought it was gonna be a joke, but I was surprised I passed with a B+. I knew I'd pass, but I thought I'd get a lower grade. The tests killed me.

Don't waste your money with a "For-Profit" Nationally accredited BS school. You want a school that is regionally accredited and will allow you to transfer easily and most of the time seamlessly to a 4 year University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities