Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Well then I make more than the median in I/O Psychology 1 year into my career and living in a very low cost of living area.

The problem with something like BLS is they let you self-report what your field is. If you belong to SIOP you actually have to have a background in I/O as well as a career in I/O.

I don't really care what someone who says they are an I/O makes (Many HR people say they are I/O when they have no background in I/O). I care what actual I/Os make.
True, but is it self-selection bias when you only survey SIOP members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
True, but is it self-selection bias when you only survey SIOP members?
That's a good point. The PhDs outweigh the MS's. pretty heavily and the PhDs do make more than the MS's (and I weighted by sample size reporting each, good old Meta-Analysis method ) but even if you assume the MS's and the PhDs have equal weight you are still looking at a Median income of 98k.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Aren't these income figures for people whose highest degree is a Bachelor's degree? I-O psychology "majors" are a tiny group and I didn't know you could do an undergrad degree in I-O psychology at all.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:16 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
The terminal major aspect is skewing this badly, and I still think something is wrong with their classifications. I make $60k as a geography major with an MS, and that puts me in the 5th percentile, but they have median at $54k for terminal bachelors. Around 45% of geography majors have advanced degrees, but even discounting all of them, it would still be impossible for me to be below the median relative to terminal bachelors holders. I think they lumped in cartography with geography; a totally different major with relatively low pay and fairly big numbers that were cranked out in the 80s and 90s by technical colleges.

Actually reading down, I am certain they lumped in cartography, since they have only 30% earning graduate degrees and list Geography as an extremely white male dominated major. It's really a female dominated major with some of the highest ethnic diversity of any major, but cartography is extremely white male dominated.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:08 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
...I make $60k as a geography major with an MS, and that puts me in the 5th percentile...
You are either at the wrong company or in the wrong city. I also have a geography masters and am compensated quite a bit more than you are. When a co-worker received his geography masters, a few years before I got mine, the pay increase the company offered him was downright insulting. Our management got together with the HR department and gave a little "dog and pony" show to show them that today's geographer is not a "social scientist", but a "real scientist". They were blown away by the technical aspects of the discipline. Every bit as technical as any other scientific discipline.

In fact, at the community college where I teach part time, the geography discipline is in the "Math, Science, and Engineering" division, not the "social science" devision. Geography today is a whole lot more than knowing the names of rivers and the capital cities of countries. It's been a long, difficult road to convince the world of this.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:45 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
You are either at the wrong company or in the wrong city. I also have a geography masters and am compensated quite a bit more than you are.
Like I said, I'm 5th percentile for pay. I ended up with the wrong county. In the middle of my first year there, they instituted a 10 year pay freeze and disbanded the merit raise board. I'm making the same pay as I was my 3rd month there. (And I'm under a very complicated post-employment ban that makes it very difficult to leave.)

Old 09-28-2013, 08:03 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *Not really good idea because many grads are having a hard time finding employment
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist *Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

I'm studying to be a SLP-- $50,000 in a rural area; $80,000 in an urban area

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Well, a graduate degree in the physical sciences is almost universally 'free' in that there is no tuition and graduate students are paid a stipend of some sort. Some years I made around 30K as a graduate student. It is often more difficult to get a degree in the social sciences because there is less support available.
Doctorates are almost always free regardless of discipline.

Masters degrees are another story, as are "professional" graduate degrees like law, education and medicine.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,474,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D.)
You can also get an Au.D. Currently, my state only requires a master's degree.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:29 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
You are either at the wrong company or in the wrong city. I also have a geography masters and am compensated quite a bit more than you are. When a co-worker received his geography masters, a few years before I got mine, the pay increase the company offered him was downright insulting. Our management got together with the HR department and gave a little "dog and pony" show to show them that today's geographer is not a "social scientist", but a "real scientist". They were blown away by the technical aspects of the discipline. Every bit as technical as any other scientific discipline.

In fact, at the community college where I teach part time, the geography discipline is in the "Math, Science, and Engineering" division, not the "social science" devision. Geography today is a whole lot more than knowing the names of rivers and the capital cities of countries. It's been a long, difficult road to convince the world of this.
You are probably lucky. Marigold is closer to the median pay for your profession

Geographer Pay | Glassdoor

I've seen Civil Engineers who make well over six figures with just a bachelors and less than 5 years of experience, but that is not typical. Many with a Masters and more experience make much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities