Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I would like your opinion of this debate, without any nonsense.

I know some community colleges can be cheaper but at the same time they make you take these silly developmental classes which are at high school level, or maybe middle school level. If you took those classes while in high school, why do you gotta take them again in CC? Now, they make you fork over money for those. And, what's the difference between high school and community college Biology?

At least with schools like University of Phoenix, they probably cut through all the developmental course junk and jump straight to the training.
They'll find other ways to get your money, don't worry. However, you have a good point about the developmental courses. Instead of just giving up on the cc, find out the rules for NOT taking those classes. What tests can you take and submit and what scores do you need to not take dev classes? Find the test, find the practice tests, find the test prep books, and PREP. Lots cheaper than an extra year or two in school. Every school has some way out of the tests - you need to find it and exploit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:17 AM

211 posts, read 373,234 times
Theres a reason why "ITT TECH" rhymes with "get no sex"

Old 09-25-2013, 02:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I would like your opinion of this debate, without any nonsense.

I know some community colleges can be cheaper but at the same time they make you take these silly developmental classes which are at high school level, or maybe middle school level. If you took those classes while in high school, why do you gotta take them again in CC? Now, they make you fork over money for those. And, what's the difference between high school and community college Biology?

At least with schools like University of Phoenix, they probably cut through all the developmental course junk and jump straight to the training.
"Developmental" is usually used to refer to remedial courses. These are courses that are below College Algebra and English Comp I. Those who score high enough on the SAT, ACT, Accuplacer, Compass, or similar test don't have to take developmental/remedial courses. At UoP, you do take intro courses in the social sciences, humanities, sciences, etc. for the general education requirements. However, UoP does not offer remedial courses since they don't require placement tests in the first place. That is where much of the problem lies. UoP will admit mentally challenged individuals and dump them right into college-level courses. UoP will also charge you $1,185 for an intro to university studies course at the associate's level or $1,755 for a foundation of university studies course at the bachelor's level. $1,755 will cover almost one year at my local community colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
UoP, you don't interact with the professors in person.
That is only true if you attend online. UoP DOES have ground students.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Yes, but the training you get will not be from a regionally accredited school and will most likely not get you a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
Don't waste your money with a "For-Profit" Nationally accredited BS school. You want a school that is regionally accredited and will allow you to transfer easily and most of the time seamlessly to a 4 year University.
University of Phoenix is regionally accredited.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In high school, you study under a science teacher with a biology textbook. In college, you study under a biologist with a PhD and many years of dedication to the field.
In CA, an instructor may teach community college with only a Master's degree, and that's true in many other states as well.

However, I agree with a big NO to the U of Phoenix, or any other for-profit college.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
"Developmental" is usually used to refer to remedial courses. These are courses that are below College Algebra and English Comp I. Those who score high enough on the SAT, ACT, Accuplacer, Compass, or similar test don't have to take developmental/remedial courses. At UoP, you do take intro courses in the social sciences, humanities, sciences, etc. for the general education requirements. However, UoP does not offer remedial courses since they don't require placement tests in the first place. That is where much of the problem lies. UoP will admit mentally challenged individuals and dump them right into college-level courses. UoP will also charge you $1,185 for an intro to university studies course at the associate's level or $1,755 for a foundation of university studies course at the bachelor's level. $1,755 will cover almost one year at my local community colleges.
This is the bad thing about schools with zero admissions standards. Usually schools demand such things because they don't want you to fail the real course. On the other hand, I ran in to a CC that was ridiculous to the extreme. Back when I was in school I had failed Calculus, mainly because it was at 8:00 am MWF(yes, I should have dropped it). I had already taken and passed classes like Applied Mathematics, Discrete Math, and Linear Algebra, all I needed was this Calculus class to fulfill my math requirements. I wanted to take it over again in the summer, and so I went to the local CC and applied for the class. The Math dean refused to seat me in the class. His reason? "You already failed it once, you need remedial classes to prove that you can do the work". Apparently passing other 300+ level math courses was not enough in his eyes. After an half hour of arguing I simply gave up and took a SOC class instead.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Another bad thing about UoP is that you don't have the option of cheaply buying or renting used textbooks. I got most of my textbooks for CC courses for under $50. UoP will charge you $90-95 per course for electronic materials regardless.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I think that employers regard community college much better than for profit schools.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:16 PM

366 posts, read 730,826 times
Who says not for profit or non-profit means nobody profits? I'm not a big U of P supporter but at least they don't pretend that they're not making any money.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
That is only true if you attend online. UoP DOES have ground students.
True. My mistake. I suppose that studying under a top professor in a specific field at UoP can yield a solid college education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities