Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why not go for the best school you can get into? You'll get a great education.
I agree. I know it is popular around here to downtalk elite schools, but I can tell you I used to work with the graduate school at one, and I was in the room when a professor referred to the practice of favoring students from other elite schools in the admissions process as "logical" because "they've already done our work for us, they've already picked out the truly special students". It was in a meeting to discuss strategy on how to broaden the pool, since this department was notorious for filling it's slots with strictly people with near perfect grades from Ivy & Ivy Plus schools. Sometimes some would get in from another fairly elite institution like Duke, etc. but that was not as frequent.

Most top graduate departments across various disciplines are not as bad, but for a whole lot of them coming from the "right" pool of schools is a huge advantage in gaining admittance.

I've also seen the HUGE difference in which companies come to the career fairs as several elite schools, versus who comes to the career fairs at a large state school, and who comes to to the career fair at a regional college with a good rep. There are also huge differences in what kind of positions are offered, and what kinds of jobs the alumni are doing 10 years later.

Of course you can do all of this coming from somewhere else besides the top 30 or so elite schools, but it's not as easy to do so, the bar for entry is a lot higher and you might have to go out of your way to get considered. The truly extraordinary will rise to the top regardless, but for most people the elite school graduates will come out of the gate with a very real head start on everyone else IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I agree. I know it is popular around here to downtalk elite schools, but I can tell you I used to work with the graduate school at one, and I was in the room when a professor referred to the practice of favoring students from other elite schools in the admissions process as "logical" because "they've already done our work for us, they've already picked out the truly special students". It was in a meeting to discuss strategy on how to broaden the pool, since this department was notorious for filling it's slots with strictly people with near perfect grades from Ivy & Ivy Plus schools. Sometimes some would get in from another fairly elite institution like Duke, etc. but that was not as frequent.

Most top graduate departments across various disciplines are not as bad, but for a whole lot of them coming from the "right" pool of schools is a huge advantage in gaining admittance.

I've also seen the HUGE difference in which companies come to the career fairs as several elite schools, versus who comes to the career fairs at a large state school, and who comes to to the career fair at a regional college with a good rep. There are also huge differences in what kind of positions are offered, and what kinds of jobs the alumni are doing 10 years later.

Of course you can do all of this coming from somewhere else besides the top 30 or so elite schools, but it's not as easy to do so, the bar for entry is a lot higher and you might have to go out of your way to get considered. The truly extraordinary will rise to the top regardless, but for most people the elite school graduates will come out of the gate with a very real head start on everyone else IMO.
hey now only 4 of the ivies are ranked above duke. one is ranked the same and the other three are ranked below. not biased or anything

Old 10-11-2013, 09:34 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
hey now only 4 of the ivies are ranked above duke. one is ranked the same and the other three are ranked below. not biased or anything

LMAO!!!! True.

But some of these old professors that have been tenured since slavery are a different breed... LOL. They don't care about any stinking rankings.

It's like Ivies, Stanford and MIT. at the top (and really, it's like Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and MIT at the top).

Then it's places like Berkeley, Duke, Caltech, UChicago, etc that get respect. Another 20 or so schools.

After that they don't care, unless you come with rainbows shooting out of your butt. Or you come from their alma mater. Or something.

They're nuts. Things will get better as the hardcores retire in greater numbers I think. I believe the younger folks aren't as bad as a group.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
LMAO!!!! True.

But some of these old professors that have been tenured since slavery are a different breed... LOL. They don't care about any stinking rankings.

It's like Ivies, Stanford and MIT. at the top (and really, it's like Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and MIT at the top).

Then it's places like Berkeley, Duke, Caltech, UChicago, etc that get respect. Another 20 or so schools.

After that they don't care, unless you come with rainbows shooting out of your butt. Or you come from their alma mater. Or something.

They're nuts. Things will get better as the hardcores retire in greater numbers I think. I believe the younger folks aren't as bad as a group.
well the point still stands that regardless of how great your actual education was and regardless of how great you are (or aren't), you will be judged by whatever is on paper. your alum base is important, too. yea you can be top of the class at a lower-ranked school but when you're somewhere really prestigious that has a long history and reputation of excellence, often the alums will feel more "connection" and "school pride" and will hold your hand through things in life. you will go to school with more accomplished people and you will be among an alumni network of more accomplished people just by virtue of exclusivity...even if you're in the bottom half of the class!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
well the point still stands that regardless of how great your actual education was and regardless of how great you are (or aren't), you will be judged by whatever is on paper.
OP's question concerned engineering and computer science. In those fields, the paper that you want is the first page of a dissertation signed by the best guy in your specialty. Nobody cares where you got your undergraduate degree. Moreover, many of the super-prestigious schools really aren't all that that good in engineering. For example, North Carolina State has a better engineering program than mighty Duke.

By the way, OP -- UNC does not have an engineering school (they do have CS, though). This kind of oversight shows how far students can go astray in pursuit of prestige. Find a school that actually fits you rather than one picked from magazine rankings by insecure hand-wringers.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 10-11-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:48 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
OP's question concerned engineering and computer science. In those fields, the paper that you want is the first page of a dissertation signed by the best guy in your specialty. Nobody cares where you got your undergraduate degree. Moreover, many of the super-prestigious schools really aren't all that that good in engineering. For example, North Carolina State has a better engineering program than mighty Duke.

By the way, OP -- UNC does not have an engineering school (they do have CS, though). This kind of oversight shows how far students can go astray in pursuit of prestige. Find a school that actually fits you rather than one picked from magazine rankings by insecure hand-wringers.
The OP should also consider how confident they are that they will spend their career as an engineer or computer scientist. Once you start looking at a career move (management, consulting, etc.) the network and reputation of the school begins to carry more weight. There's always the opportunity to go to B-school to get the brand name on your résumé, but even then, it's also a little easier to get into a top B-school if you went to a top-ranked undergrad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities